Speaker help for Primare i21 / cd21

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys - I have 3 speakers in mind to pair with the Primare kit. Any suggestions please?

B&W 684

EPOS M22

Monitor Audio RS6

I listen to all genres but really want to enhance the classical experience.

Thanks in advance!

A

Anonymous

Thanks John - how about the FB1?

I am assuming that you don't rate the 3 on my short list?

John Duncan

No it's not that - I haven't heard the first two, and I think the RS6 is good (though needs careful matching), but I have the older version of the same Primare system (D20 + A20mk2) and my DB1+s sound fantastic, and the GB1 even better (though couldn't afford them). I imagine the FB1 would be like those with (gorgeous) knobs on, though I'd upgrade to the i30 before I got them I think.

A

Anonymous

My suggestion is: listen for yourself and decide.
emotion-5.gif

It's just a matter of taste. For instance, I used to own the DB1+ (not the "i" version that John has, but I guess the difference is not day and night), and I think at GBP 670 it was overpriced. I think you can get a similar level of performance with a cheaper Epos M12.2, or even a better performance with a similarly priced Tannoy (especially for classical). The DB1+ were extremely refined speakers, with an incredibly natural voicing, good detail, excelent imaging, and so on...but for me they still sound small (no matter what WHF says!); after all, you cannot expect such a small woofer to move much air. It also lacks impact, and sounds dynamically too polite.

So you see, everyone has a different taste and a different opinion. So it's up to you to decide.

Of the three you mention, I prefer the M22 for classical, followed by the B&W.

John Duncan

Tannoyite:
My suggestion is: listen for yourself and decide.
emotion-5.gif

It's just a matter of taste. For instance, I used to own the DB1+ (not the "i" version that John has, but I guess the difference is not day and night), and I think at GBP 670 it was overpriced. I think you can get a similar level of performance with a cheaper Epos M12.2, or even a better performance with a similarly priced Tannoy (especially for classical). The DB1+ were extremely refined speakers, with an incredibly natural voicing, good detail, excelent imaging, and so on...but for me they still sound small (no matter what WHF says!); after all, you cannot expect such a small woofer to move much air. It also lacks impact, and sounds dynamically too polite.

So you see, everyone has a different taste and a different opinion. So it's up to you to decide.

Of the three you mention, I prefer the M22 for classical, followed by the B&W.

Agreed on listening and making up your own mind, of course. Mine is indeed the '+', though I think Andrew says the 'i' is fab, and he's Mr Classical (though not, it has to be said, Mr Primare, I don't think). And 'small' to me is perfect, since I have a listening room to match and I think even the GB1s may be too much in there.

And though I didn't pay 670, I agree that they were a bit steep - and may be more so at their new price, though I haven't heard to assess whether the upgrade is that good - and you can get 90% of the performance for 400 quid in the AVI Neutron V (the 10% being missing in the bass department, primarily).

A

Anonymous

I auditioned the Primare i21 / cd21 kit. I was about to buy it until I topped the ex-demo stuff that appears in my signature (sorry John).

I didn't like it with the 684 and liked it a lot with the 683. And also liked a lot with the RS6.

Primare delivers a neutral to warm sound, so you don't have to be afraid of partnering with the so called here bright speakers (MA, Tannoy Rev Signature, ...).

I haven't tryied but I think they should sound wonderful the the Tannoy Revolution Signature series 6 and 4 (don't know the exact model name).

Happy speaker hunting!

A

Anonymous

JohnDuncan:[. And 'small' to me is perfect, since I have a listening room to match and I think even the GB1s may be too much in there. .

I remember that the way the DB1+ best sounded to me was using them as near field monitors, in a very small room (3 x 3 meters). This way they provided a very informative and open window to the recording, and the small room reinforced the bass.

So I can imagine that if you have a small listening room, and such excellent matching equipment as Primare is, the end result must be really good.

For my living room ( 6 x 4 meters) I found them too small however.

John Duncan

Agreed 100%, and tbh in my living room nearfield monitors is almost precisely what they are.

If you have a bigger room, I agree (generalising) that you need a bigger speaker, and the floorstanders mentioned may very well be a better bet (though I'd definitely audition PMCs offerings in that space).

Sure, the PMC's and Proacs are a good choice, although I haven't had the opportunity to hear all of them.

I would be interested in assessing the RS6's with Primare, it could be [and I stress could be] a match made in heaven - or complete rubbish. . .

As JD is the man with the Primare/PMC combo, it should be top of your list.

JohnDuncan:plastic penguin:

JohnDuncan:....or bottom
emotion-5.gif

Sorry for gatecrashing this thread, what are the Primare's I21's sonic weakenesses?

Say that again?!
emotion-8.gif

I had a feeling you would reply with that response. What I really mean is: Arcam isn't particularly good with rock, so, let rephrase the question.

Is the Primare I21 more adept at reproducing, rock or pop or is it more at home with the more mellow stuff?

John Duncan

It's a mellow amplifier (generalising) - it has more grip in the bottom end than the (lower end) Arcam integrateds, a gorgeous midrange and maybe a slight smoothing of the treble. So smooooth, in short. But that grip on the bass is not infallible, that comes with the i30, as does a complete opening up of the treble.

It's biggest problem is that it's a 4/500 quid amplifier in a gorgeous 300 quid box, frankly.

JohnDuncan:It's a mellow amplifier (generalising) - it has more grip in the bottom end than the (lower end) Arcam integrateds, a gorgeous midrange and maybe a slight smoothing of the treble. So smooooth, in short. But that grip on the bass is not infallible, that comes with the i30, as does a complete opening up of the treble. It's biggest problem is that it's a 4/500 quid amplifier in a gorgeous 300 quid box, frankly.

I understand what you say. I think to compare it with an amp double the price is an unfair example. For the price does the sound compare with the very best modern amplifiers?

A

Anonymous

I had the M22's which I ran with a Rega Apollo + Roksan Kandy LIII and I found them very detailed, especially with voices but lacking the soundstage.

I tried a variety of speakers for my new kit and decided on the Neat Motive 1's as being the best choice to my ears. Perhaps you can include these in your list of potential suitors for your system?

A

Anonymous

Thanks Mr Wolf ~ I have been eyeing the Motive's and must say that they look very appealing. I just need to find someone in Essex that stocks them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts