Speaker Choice

arthurfi

Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Just bought a Naim Unitiqute 2 and now looking for speakers.

Considering PMC DB1i or Spendor SA1........just not sure.

Any thoughts welcomed......

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I'm a big fan of the SA1, which is terrifically musical but lacks a little scale, so needs a small room (or a good Sub).

I haven't heard the DB1s, but they have a great reputation....and should have more scale and are more efficient.

It really does come down to personal preference.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Of the two choices i'd go for the PMCs as the UQ2 will not have to work so hard to drive them.

However the PMC DBis are now discontinued.

PMC DB1 Golds are still listed as a current product on their webpage although you only get the choice of one finish (black).

What other options have you listened to or considered? What other options are available to listen to where you are?

rainsoothe

hi

PMC DB1i, KEF LS50 and XTZ 99.26 MKii (which, to me, is a giant killer, but dealers are hard to come by since they're an internet based sweedish company. But I think you can send back if you don't like, or maybe you could even find a dealer. If you ask me, it's really worth looking into the XTZs, they're brilliant).

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
As has been said, much depends on how you like your music and your room.

All standmounts you (and others mention) have similar dimensions, sensitivity (all probably in their mid 80's/db despite what manufacturers state) and 30w channel is probably enough to play fairly loud.

A stand-out speaker I've heard recently is My Audio's 1920.

I have no idea how it would compare with your choices (PMC/Spendor) but I would imagine it'll go very well with Naim as does Neat or Guru.

regards

regards

Agree with drummerman about the Guru junior, as it is not an obvious choice. Great if you can place them near the wall and angle them in steeply.

With your amp there will be many dealers with good speakers who can demo a wide range to you, so keep an open mind.

matthewpiano

I agree about keeping an open mind, particularly if you can find a really good dealer who is prepared to make some suggestions to you.

The Guru Juniors are excellent and would be on my audition list as would PMC Twenty:21 and the Dynaudio Excite X14, but then I like natural sounding speakers.

NeilFraser

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
Naim seem to promote the Focal Aria 906 with the Unitilite, so presumably it'd be good with the Unitiqute too. I'm pondering buying a Unitilite and don't know whether to keep my existing Linn Keo speakers or go for the Focals. Wasn't planning on getting standmounters but the package price (£1999) seems very good.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
NeilFraser said:
Naim seem to promote the Focal Aria 906 with the Unitilite, so presumably it'd be good with the Unitiqute too.

Focal is a major partner in the group that also owns Naim, so they won't just be promoting the use of 906s on grounds of quality and compatibilty (even if it turns out to be a good pairing) so listen first.

rainsoothe

chebby said:
NeilFraser said:
Naim seem to promote the Focal Aria 906 with the Unitilite, so presumably it'd be good with the Unitiqute too.

Focal is a major partner in the group that also owns Naim, so they won't just be promoting the use of 906s on grounds of quality and compatibilty (even if it turns out to be a good pairing) so listen first.

What he said. I, for one, heard a Uniti 2 with Focal Electra standmounts (which, granted, might sound different then the Arias which I haven't heard) and the combo sounded bright as a shining star, highs were really pearcing (although in the store it sounded better, but hey - heavy acoustic treatment isn't what people usually have in their livingrooms). So do have a listen. But that advice should go with all your speakers.

Hi arthurfi

ATC's curved SCM7 monitors and the new Raidho Acoustics Scansonic MB-1's are also worth bearing in mind as so far we've found them (although not heard the MB-1's with a UnitiQute 2 yet) to also work well with Naim electronics.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

NeilFraser said:
Naim seem to promote the Focal Aria 906 with the Unitilite, so presumably it'd be good with the Unitiqute too. the package price (£1999) seems very good.

Hi neilfraser

Good synergy between the two
regular_smile.gif

Btw, package price £1999 is with Walnut finish Aria 906's and £2100 with Gloss Black 906's.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts