Speaker cables for Tannoy package

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello all,

I have recently devled into the world of home cinema separates for the first time and have purchased (at the bargin prices courtesy of richersounds) the Tannoy Mercury F4 custom 5.1 speaker package (minus the sub at the mo) to go with Sony STR-DG820 reciever and the BDP-S350 BD player.

Now im looking at what speaker cables to get to hook it all together. As the F4's at the front are biwire-able is it worth getting this type of cable (e.g. QED SA XT Biwire) or would the Chord Carnival SilverScreen do just as good job?. For the rears I have been looking at Chord Campana or QED micro. I will buy the same 'make' cable for the rears depending on what I decide on for the fronts to keep cohesion.

My budget is quite tight and I only need 2/3m worth either-side for the fronts so dont mind paying the extra few pounds for the QED biwire cable if it will bring significant improvements over the Chord SilverScreen which of course is just a single run. Any thoughts would be great.

Cheers

d4v3pum4

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
(Flame suit on). Don't bother with bi-wiring, it's not worth it, esp. with budget kit. I've tried it on a couple of systems and it made no difference what-so-ever. I would look at QED micro, VDC blue and the 16awg belkin speaker cable (you can buy it in various reel sizes up to 30m IIRC). Spend more on your fronts/centre by all means but I wouldn't bother with the rears, the cables I've mentioned are more than up to the job.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
d4v3pum4:(Flame suit on). Don't bother with bi-wiring, it's not worth it, esp. with budget kit. I've tried it on a couple of systems and it made no difference what-so-ever. I would look at QED micro, VDC blue and the 16awg belkin speaker cable (you can buy it in various reel sizes up to 30m IIRC). Spend more on your fronts/centre by all means but I wouldn't bother with the rears, the cables I've mentioned are more than up to the job.

I agree about the bi-wiring as you are using a receiver and not a stereo amp, I don't see that you would get any improvement. I would go with Chord Carnival for the front left and right and QED micro for the others - the different make cables will not make any difference for surround speakers.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts