Speaker cables for Primare cd31/pre30/A32/Focal chorus 826v system with balanced outputs.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Some input would be appreciated on this please folks. Since my first post on setting up a system,well here it is. However the cables that i auditioned it with are mega bucks (nordost blue heaven) so at the min im useing a pair of demmed a million times naims (no idea which type). I appreciate its not going to be a cheap n cheerfull purchase but due to the fact i need 7 metres for my left hand speaker,well say no more regarding the nordosts !!. I would prefer something with a bit of grunt in the low end.

A

Anonymous

Chord Odyssey 2 is very good cable and can be had on ebay for a good price. I found that the bass was a good step up over my Chord Carnival SP biwire. Kimber stuff is meant to be pretty damn good too.

A

Anonymous

I can't biwire my Spendors either; none of that nonsense (just playing!). The Chord Odyssey 2 is single wire but if you can afford it, perhaps try the Epic. I've heard good things from other posters. The QED is supposed to be a bit leaner in tone so might not give you the bass you want. That's where Chord step in...

Jules has had some good things to say about Kimber cable recently. Has to be worth a shot too if you can find some to try. You might find a better suited cable than the Odyssey 2 if you trial a load but it's the sort of cable you can confidently buy without trying (ducks again).

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Just fed the the brain on the chords,according to them they are good in the bass dept. Think the epics are going to be a tad pricey at this stage in the game. I know about the 10% rule of thumb but thats not a prob if id only laid out a grand or so but.........!!.

A

Anonymous

floyd droid:Just fed the the brain on the chords,according to them they are good in the bass dept. Think the epics are going to be a tad pricey at this stage in the game. I know about the 10% rule of thumb but thats not a prob if id only laid out a grand or so but.........!!.

if you can the Epic is worth every penny.

all the best.

Primare and Chord devotee .

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
I guess £250 plus terminations (epics from futureshop) isnt so bad against what my set up cost. Its a bit tricky for me to try different cables as im limited to one dealer where i live and he only stocks "oh my god how much" cables. I obviously dont want to spend for ever chopping and changing cables,not withstanding the cost,when i could spend the money wasted on a speaker upgrade next yr.

A

Anonymous

It all depends on your system/room/musical tastes. And since the whole point of cable is to fine tune your system it's very hard to recommend without hearing.

FYI i have found atlas to be on the 'less bright' side, chord to be on the 'more bright' side and kimber to be in the middle. So if your system is too bright i'd try Atlas Hyper 3.0, is it's too dull try Chord Epic and if you just want transparency try Kimber 8TC.

jules.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Wotcha mohawk,futureshop got in touch with me regarding the epics and the guy had been on to chord,your epics recommendation could be the way to go,pity i cant dem em tho. They both pretty well guarantee that they are blob on for my system,mind you they would wouldnt they,lol.

A

Anonymous

Before shelling out huge sums on cable, there is another option, which is to try well-recommended cables, used in some high end systems, but which are relatively cheap to buy, and of very high quality. If they don't meet your needs, then look at the expensive or exotic.

For speaker cable, I use Belden 5000UP. This is 12AWG twisted pair cable, using plenty of copper (the lower the AWG number, the thicker the wire). You can buy 7m of this wire for £14 unterminated, from a UK source, and put the plugs on yourself. If I'm wrong, and this is poor cable, you've lost £14 plus postage and packing.

If you want an overview of the science behind cabling, a good read of the "Blue Jeans Cable" website is worthwhile. You can decide for yourself if it makes sense, and it may help inform any subsequent buying decisions. When looking for interconnects recently, I paid far more attention the electrical characteristics of the wire. I would assume that where they are the same, you can buy the cheaper cable as it will perform the same as the more expensive one. I also stayed away from those that didn't release technical specs.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
cheers for that septicman,3 or 4 no goes at 15 quid a throw seems to make far more sense than one whopping great ocean going lash up !!. Will try and source the book.

A

Anonymous

I went through many tests and finally ended with Cardas Quadlink between my A32 and Spendor S9e. Previously used Audioquest Bedrock but the sound was a bit offensive with annoying brightness. Last year I tested many Audioquest, Kimber, QED, Cardas, MIT, Siltech even simle AudioNote then Cat5 and solid 230V4mm.

Mostly there were many defects as over-brightness or fuzziness or slow bass. Only MIT and Cardas could provide discipline, decent grip on bass, richness of details without exaggerated high frequencies. Quadlink was a price/performance winner.

However, we have different issues with our systems. In my case bass is too fat and slow whatever cables are in use. The next upgrade will be speakers but there are not many interesting products on the market.

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for the input guys. Future shop are sending me a 3m pair of epics to try out. I offered my missus as collatoral !. Good deal i thought. (maybe i should have gone for the sigs and told them to keep her).

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:Thanks for the input guys. Future shop are sending me a 3m pair of epics to try out. I offered my missus as collatoral !. Good deal i thought. (maybe i should have gone for the sigs and told them to keep her).

ÿ

Needless to say you probably need an extended listening period before deciding. A year or so perhaps.

One things for sure, even the Nordosts would be a much cheaper option than getting her back

ÿ

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
One things for sure joel,the way my walking cash machine operates the new utopias would be an even cheaper option. As you said in another thread,oh to be single eh.

A

Anonymous

Hi,

System is Primare CD31. Pre , Phone & A32 with a pair of Dali Helicon 400

I started with Chord Chorus speaker cable wjhen I first brought the kit t...it was excellent cable but then after 4 months had an audition at home for 2 weeks with the Chord Signature........even better decided to upgrade.....I needed 2 x 5 metre lengths plus the signature bi -wire links ...................ouch that hursts the wallet............... a wonderful musical combination.............plays music wonderfully.............not in your face....:enough detail is there...bass controlled...synergy is good. Chord Chorus was a really good match.in my system,Chord Epic was even better until you hear the.Signature....seems to have great synergy If you can't make your mind up about speaker cables worth looking at 2 other areas first: Interconnects I 've ended up with the Chord Anthem 2 XLR balanced which seem to do the trick for now (borrow run in cables to try at home)

It's also worth loking at mains...I was sceptical till a friend brought round some of the Russ Andrews products we tried Reference & signature range.............now have Russ Refernce cables on Pre Power & CD

Enjoy your music

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
TheSicilian:
Hi,

System is Primare CD31. Pre , Phone & A32 with a pair of Dali Helicon 400

I started with Chord Chorus speaker cable wjhen I first brought the kit t...it was excellent cable but then after 4 months had an audition at home for 2 weeks with the Chord Signature........even better decided to upgrade.....I needed 2 x 5 metre lengths plus the signature bi -wire links ...................ouch that hursts the wallet............... a wonderful musical combination.............plays music wonderfully.............not in your face....:enough detail is there...bass controlled...synergy is good. Chord Chorus was a really good match.in my system,Chord Epic was even better until you hear the.Signature....seems to have great synergy If you can't make your mind up about speaker cables worth looking at 2 other areas first: Interconnects I 've ended up with the Chord Anthem 2 XLR balanced which seem to do the trick for now (borrow run in cables to try at home)

It's also worth loking at mains...I was sceptical till a friend brought round some of the Russ Andrews products we tried Reference & signature range.............now have Russ Refernce cables on Pre Power & CD

Enjoy your music

7m (for one channel) of Chord Signature would cost about a quarter of the OP's set up!! The Odyssey 2 would be great in your system. The Epic is very thick, heavy cable and although I've not heard it in action, I've bought lengths of it and terminated it (to sell on ebay), you just know it's going to be good for bass. Check out ebay, there always deals to be had on speaker cable (and you can't really go wrong on brands that you know).

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
floyd droid:I guess £250 plus terminations (epics from futureshop) isnt so bad against what my set up cost. Its a bit tricky for me to try different cables as im limited to one dealer where i live and he only stocks "oh my god how much" cables. I obviously dont want to spend for ever chopping and changing cables,not withstanding the cost,when i could spend the money wasted on a speaker upgrade next yr.

If you need 7m for your left speaker and the Epics cost £36pm, how did you get the above quote?

floyd droid

Sep 5, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:floyd droid:I guess £250 plus terminations (epics from futureshop) isnt so bad against what my set up cost. Its a bit tricky for me to try different cables as im limited to one dealer where i live and he only stocks "oh my god how much" cables. I obviously dont want to spend for ever chopping and changing cables,not withstanding the cost,when i could spend the money wasted on a speaker upgrade next yr.

If you need 7m for your left speaker and the Epics cost £36pm, how did you get the above quote?

Sorry,my last post regarding the quote for the epics was for a 7m single run. i was a few quid light on that too. Well thats how i read their priceing system,probably wrong !!. Thanks for pointing it out gerrard.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts