Speaker cables for improving bass response ?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi All - First post from a newbie ...try to be kind ;)

My current HIFI setup is quite 'bright' sounding (CA 340A SE, 340C V2, CA DACmagic and Monitor Audio RS1s/Atacama stands). I think this is probably being compounded by non-ideal room acoustics (8m x 3m with wooden floors/window blinds and painted walls) and my choice of speaker cables (QED Silver Anniversary XT)

Experimenting with locations of the speakers recently has certainly yielded some improvements but for this to be practical this necessitates purchasing new/longer speaker cables. Changing room decor significantly isnt really an option.

Can anyone recommend a good value speaker cable (<£6 per m) that will give an improved bass ?

I've considered Chord Silverscreen but Im a bit put off by the cable diameter (1cm!) - one of the runs is a bit tortuous and will be in excess of 15m so Im keen use a fairly flexible low profile cable that isnt too thick

Does anyone have any other relatively cost-effective tips for improving bass performance in my current setup ?

All advice welcomed

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
lazarus1803:
Hi All - First post from a newbie ...try to be kind ;)

My current HIFI setup is quite 'bright' sounding (CA 340A SE, 340C V2, CA DACmagic and Monitor Audio RS1s/Atacama stands). I think this is probably being compounded by non-ideal room acoustics (8m x 3m with wooden floors/window blinds and painted walls) and my choice of speaker cables (QED Silver Anniversary XT)

Experimenting with locations of the speakers recently has certainly yielded some improvements but for this to be practical this necessitates purchasing new/longer speaker cables. Changing room decor significantly isnt really an option.

Can anyone recommend a good value speaker cable (<£6 per m) that will give an improved bass ?

I've considered Chord Silverscreen but Im a bit put off by the cable diameter (1cm!) - one of the runs is a bit tortuous and will be in excess of 15m so Im keen use a fairly flexible low profile cable that isnt too thick

Does anyone have any other relatively cost-effective tips for improving bass performance in my current setup ?

All advice welcomed

I think it's more likely that your amp is not doing your speakers justice.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
I think I'd agree with our gastropod pal, Punchyasnails. The solution would be better partnering components, not the sticking-plaster approach of trying to tune with cables.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the responses chaps - I recognize that the budget amp is a major limiting factor here. My first major upgrade was to replace my original CA s30 speakers with the RS1's but my next planned component upgrade is for a much better amp.

As the cable runs will be changing anyway I'm still keen to get peoples advice on this front

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

Yes it sounds like a component maybe the limiting factor. I however have found one cable that has a fairly full bottom end even compared to the kimber 8tc. The eichmann express 4 or 6 has a slightly rolled off top and a full bottom end. Its a solid core cable which I think lets more current through. I like it better than all the QED and supra cables I tried, I did prefer the kimber overall though. The eichmann tends to be slightly on a warmer side and a very musical cable too.

Cheers,

Steve.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts