Speaker cables for Dali Zensor 3

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Any recommendations for some relatively cheap cables for my new Dali Zensor 3’s, hooked up to a Marantz MCR603?

I’ve heard Chord Carnival or Audioquest FLX slip 14.4 are good (and the sort of price range I’m looking at). Have others found this a good choice for this combo or similar. Any other recommendations?

Also, I just wanted to ask whether the length of cable between speakers and amp makes a difference? I’m guess the answer will be yes, but how much? Because of my room set up, my Hi-Fi is quite a distance from my speakers. Probably 5 meters to left speaker and 3 meters to the right one.

BigH

Dec 29, 2012
Visit site
Yes Van Damme Blue 2.5mm or 4mm, can get it from Maplins for around £3.30 pm.

The length can make a difference but not your lengths, make sure you measure down to the floor and across to speaker and then up and add a bit for moving speakers around etc.

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks both. The only thing that stops me ordering some of this is that a couple of people in this thread don't seem very satisifed with the results using Van Damme with these speakers:

http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/dali-zensor-3-owners-club

Are you actually using it with Zensor 3's?

Also, re the length. I'll measure up exactly with some room for manouver. It might be more like 6 meters and 4, so whatever I end up going for 10 meters should do it. Does it make any differerance if one length is longer than the other? New to this business and never ceased to be amazed at how many variables have to be taken into consideration. It occured to me that different lengths of cable to each speaker might affect soundstage etc?

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

I think speaker cable can make a difference in sound quality, but not really at all over shorter distances.

I currently have a mixture of speaker cable, and only noticed when I changed my Q Acoustics 2020is to Zensor 3s, that I was using different cable for each of my front 2 speakers. I spent some time going from one speaker to the other, to see if I could hear any difference in the sound quality, and I couldn't.

I've decided I'm going to sell the lengths of QED Silver Anniversary I have, and replace all of my cable with some much cheaper cable, maybe Van Damme Blue, or more likely, some 2 x 4mm multi strand OFC, which I can get for peanuts on eBay amongst other places

Over your short distances, the above 4mm OFC is plenty good enough, and buying expensive cable would make no discernable difference to sound quality IMHO.

Ideally, same length speaker cable is desirable, but it's not essential. I have a 5.1 surround set up, and the run lengths vary from 2m to 7m, and I've never noticed any problem with this ever.

Some will disagree with my advice, and a few years ago, I would too, but experience has brought me to my senses.

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for your comments everone. I've read a few threads on cables and it sounds like it could be a case of Emperors Clothes in some instances. I must admit until I got into Hi-Fi again, i had never given cables a second thought.

To approch this from a different angle, at the moment I'm using:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00BK3W15I/ref=oh_details_o01_s01_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

(Which I think is what BIGBERNARD is above is talking about)

and this:

http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/cambridge-audio/symphony-400/gale-symphony-400

A piece of each type for each channel (rather than a different type each side), twisted together in ther middle.

I had used both sets previously to run two sets of speakers. I my new set up I had been just using the OCF, but now I've moved my Hi Fi I had to bring the Cambridge Audio stuff into play as the OFC was too short.

Its probably just me, but I don't think the sounds quite as good since I did this and I could also do without the unsighly lumps of gaffa tape where I've joined them, so thought it would be a good idea to get some new cable that others found worked well with the Dali's.

I could get longer lengths of the same again, but not sure which is "better"? The OCF is a lot thicker than the Cambridge, but is unbranded, whereas the Cambridge is thinner, but a known brand. As I've spend more on speakers, I'm. happy to spend a bit more if I can hear the difference.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
You can't really go wrong with old silver plated copper in a PTFE dielectric/sleeve.

Contrary to popular belief silver plated cable is not always 'brighter'. Silver is good conductor, better than copper so one explanation may be that the outer silver helps high frequency signals. If there is a problem with 'harsh' treble it is far more likely to originate somewhere else in the system.

regards

mikeparker59

Apr 6, 2010
Visit site
Personally I've never really been able to tell any difference between cables. I've used QED 79 strand, Cheap and cheerful stuff from B&Q that was 79 stranded too, and Now Van Damme on my main system (the clear jacketed stuff cos it looks nice! ). I've got the B&Q stuff on my second system. As for branding, Ie CA over the Amazon stuff, I'd not be too concerned, mind you I reckon I'd fail the coathanger wire test, my hearing just ain't HiFi anymore. http://consumerist.com/2008/03/03/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables/

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

paddyb said:
http://www.richersounds.com/product/speaker-cables/cambridge-audio/symphony-400/gale-symphony-400

A piece of each type for each channel (rather than a different type each side), twisted together in ther middle.

I had used both sets previously to run two sets of speakers. I my new set up I had been just using the OCF, but now I've moved my Hi Fi I had to bring the Cambridge Audio stuff into play as the OFC was too short.

Its probably just me, but I don't think the sounds quite as good since I did this and I could also do without the unsighly lumps of gaffa tape where I've joined them, so thought it would be a good idea to get some new cable that others found worked well with the Dali's.

Definitely not advisable to mix and match, especially on the same run, and I would always avoid joining pieces together.

I've just bought this, it's very cheap, so I'm not expecting much, but I'll let you know after I receive and fit it, whether it's any good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEAKER-CABLE-2X-4MM-20M-THICK-LOUD-SUPER-QUALITY-OXYGEN-FREE-COPPER-/121007399255?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c2c9a6157

CJSF

May 25, 2011
Visit site
To many people talk about better or worse sound quality over speaker cable. Having tried a few, my take on this old chestnut, is a 'different sound' depending on type or brand. So you pays your money and takes your choice over what sound presentation you prefer.

Personally, I find the 4mm (500 strand) stuff a little 'twinkly and confused' at the top end, a personal observation in my system. Me preferring the more balanced, even and laid back sound I get from 8m x 2, Linn K20, never investigated the number of strands (probably 79?) or if it is oxygen free? . . . it aint expensive at £5 per meter either, (£5 at last count?).

However, I think the cheap unbranded cable do a good job for a lot of people? Pays your money . . . etc.

CJSF

T

the record spot

Twinkly and confused. Now there's a new one...!

Personally, I use Van Dam me Blue and an unspecified 400 strand cable. No issues with either and sound quality excellent. No confusion here. At any frequency...

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
paddyb said:

Definitely not advisable to mix and match, especially on the same run, and I would always avoid joining pieces together.

I've just bought this, it's very cheap, so I'm not expecting much, but I'll let you know after I receive and fit it, whether it's any good.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/SPEAKER-CABLE-2X-4MM-20M-THICK-LOUD-SUPER-QUALITY-OXYGEN-FREE-COPPER-/121007399255?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item1c2c9a6157

Now that is cheap! I might look at this if I want to run second set of speakers into the bedroom. Let me know how you get on with it.

You mentioned that you're selling your QED aniversary, do you have it in the lengths I need (two bits of about 5 meters). I'm thinking now that if the jury's still out on how it effects sound quality, then I should also think about other aspects such as supplety and colour. Both the cables I mentioned earlier are very stiff and have a bit of a mind of their own and I'm not completely sold on the colour either.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

paddyb said:
Now that is cheap! I might look at this if I want to run second set of speakers into the bedroom. Let me know how you get on with it.

You mentioned that you're selling your QED aniversary, do you have it in the lengths I need (two bits of about 5 meters). I'm thinking now that if the jury's still out on how it effects sound quality, then I should also think about other aspects such as supplety and colour. Both the cables I mentioned earlier are very stiff and have a bit of a mind of their own and I'm not completely sold on the colour either.

I'm afraid I'll be keeping the QED until I'm certain that the cheap OFC is up to the job, but I've only got one length of 5m anyway.

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
Haven'ty got round to buying any new cable yet, but there's been a few more threads on the subject here recently and I'm rapidly moving away from the idea of expensive branded cable.

Looking at this stuff on Amazon which I've used before (but haven't compared it to anything side by side).

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Speaker-Oxygen-Copper-strand-ASCL/dp/B0086X6VHO/ref=sr_1_10?ie=UTF8&qid=1392650399&sr=8-10&keywords=speaker+cable

Was about to go for it when I read some of the feedback which says that it isn't 100% copper, so I wrote to the selling and got a very quick response:

"Hi this is an FBA listing normally but the seller fulfilled text keeps getting displayed which is an older version. The cable is now about 92% OFC. It is 90% OFC copper then 10% OFC copper clad aluminium. The aluminium is now present due to the increased use of recycled copper. regards"

Will this make any difference to the sound? I notice that the colour is less bright than the Cambridge stuff it have.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I replaced Chord Odyssey with Avondale Blacklink. Produces a lively detailed sound but never strays into harshness as the Odyssey did in my system. I did try the Blacklink against Van Damme, Van Damme good for it's price but produced a dull sound by comparison to the Blacklink.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I received this cheap cable, but was quite disappointed as it was not quite as described; very thin cheap looking cable. I didn't expect much, and I didn't get much, but at £5.99, it was worth a punt I suppose.

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
pete321 said:
I replaced Chord Odyssey with Avondale Blacklink. Produces a lively detailed sound but never strays into harshness as the Odyssey did in my system. I did try the Blacklink against Van Damme, Van Damme good for it's price but produced a dull sound by comparison to the Blacklink.

Can't find this on sale anywhere?

paddyb

Mar 3, 2013
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I received this cheap cable, but was quite disappointed as it was not quite as described; very thin cheap looking cable. I didn't expect much, and I didn't get much, but at £5.99, it was worth a punt I suppose.

Thanks for your feedback.I've done a bit more research and it appears that most of the generic "Copper" cable on ebay and Amazon is actually Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA). Not sure how much difference this makes though? Does yours have a red stripe down one side to indicate polarity? I'm guessing that most of this stuff orginates from the same place.

B

BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW

paddyb said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

Thanks for your feedback.I've done a bit more research and it appears that most of the generic "Copper" cable on ebay and Amazon is actually Copper Clad Aluminium (CCA). Not sure how much difference this makes though? Does yours have a red stripe down one side to indicate polarity? I'm guessing that most of this stuff orginates from the same place.

Yeah, it's got a red stripe. It's just very basic speaker cable, it might be ok, but I didn't even try it once I saw the thinness of it.

I eventually bought some second hand QED Special Silver Anniversary off of eBay, to match some I had already in my system, so I've now got it connected to every speaker.

Don't be afraid to buy second hand, as long as it's not years and years old, there should be no problem, and you'll get a lot more for your money.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QED-Silver-Anniversary-XT-speaker-cable-10m-off-cut-cosmetic-reject-/380846136614?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item58ac32dd26

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/QED-Silver-Anniversary-XT-speaker-cable-5m-off-cut-cosmetic-reject-/380846137094?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item58ac32df06

Any 762 strand OFC will be plenty good enough

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/10m-Loud-Speaker-Cable-Oxygen-Free-OFC-6mm-762-Strand-/270370467142?pt=UK_Computing_Sound_Vision_Audio_Cables_Adapters&hash=item3ef355ed46

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
paddyb said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

FWIW aluminium is a better conductor by weight than copper. One of the reasons it is used for overhead powercables (with a central steel core for strength). Aluminium does however form a suface oxide in the presence of air that can lead to poor contacts. The reason for CCA is to have a cheap, light cable without the surface oxide problems of aluminium. No reason why it cant make good speaker cable as long as the terminations are made correctly.

78finn

May 8, 2009
Visit site
Unless you have some seriously hard to drive speakers, over a massive distance, at stupidly loud volumes.....and need a huge amount of detail to be perfectly and faithfully reproduced, speaker cables make next to know difference at all!

Save yourself a load of time...

You can get high quality OFC 14 copper cable for next to nothing

If on the otherhand you are rewiring the Royal Albert Hall...you maybe want to consult an engineer. I'm not an engineer...can you tell?

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:
BIGBERNARDBRESSLAW said:

I can highly recommend:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Products/CASPEAK79.html

No nonsense, good quality, reasonably priced. TLC are electrical factors and there is no 'audiofool' markup.

TRENDING THREADS