Speaker Cable - Upgrade?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
System: Linn Classik / LK 100 / Ruark Prologue One / Pro-Ject turntable / Trichord Dino & Dino+ phono stage / VDH "The Name" interconnects.

The LK 100 is a recent addition and it and the Classik are bi-amping my speakers. Current speaker cable is Linn K10. I had some prior to adding the power amp and so just got some more of the same to set up the bi-amp configuration.

Now I'm wondering if my system would benefit from a (modest) upgrade to the speaker cable? And, if so, what might be suitable?

I'm reasonably happy with the sound of my system, although more so from the vinyl source than the CD player. I guess on occasion the mid-frequencies can sound a little congested (although I suspect this may be inherent with the loudspeakers I have) and if I could gain some clarity with a cable change I'd be a happy chap. (Sorry, translating my impressions of a systems reproduction into words has never been a strong point!).

Any thoughts / advice would be gratefully received...

A

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
thats not a bad system you have there,i don't think changing the cable will help.as you have a linn set up you have a synergy going on there.imo vinyl for me is all so i can understand that medium sounding better but this is not that kind of thread.why not ask your friendly dealer of a loan of some cables.for a modest deposit,and see how you get on.good luck,gregory.

A

Anonymous

Yup, could do. Just wondering, however, quite how 'budget' the Linn K10 cables are and whether, therefore, the system will stand an upgrade with some appreciable results? For example, would a switch as simple as moving up a notch to Linn K20 achieve anything? The Pro-Ject turntable has quite a nice MC cartridge (Ortofon Rondo Red) and obviously the Trichord phono stage with the outboard PSU is a reasonable investment too...so I'd hate for the cables to be holding it back (even if the Prologues are a bit long in the tooth these days!).

Anyone?

Thanks,

A

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
although the ruarks are getting on a bit thats not to say they are outdated by some of todays more mordern designs.i have heard some pig's of speakers of recent times compared to some of yesterdays makes,perhap's a different cable may open them up a bit but then you may sacrifice some smoothness or bass slam.i just think cables sound different not always better,not night and day just slightly subtle,depends on the type of sound your after.qed for me equals bright,atlas cables are i find more neutral i prefer the original qed 79 strand to the more expensive range.go on ask your dealer for a loan neither of you have anything to lose.tell us how toy get on,good luck,gregory.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="gregory"]although the ruarks are getting on a bit thats not to say they are outdated by
some of todays more mordern designs[/quote]

I agree, if the speakers was good then they should be good now....the end of the day it's all about system matching. Hard to drive though those Ruark regardless of what menufactor's figure on the paper!

A

Anonymous

I'm certainly more than willing to accept that the Ruarks may still be competitive, I don't have a problem with them particularly just recognizing their role in the overall sound.

Still, at the end of the day, Linn K10 is a pretty inexpensive cable - so I'm still wondering if my system is likely to benefit from an upgrade or whether the K10 is adequate for allowing the other components to realize their potential?

Still looking for thoughts, if anyone has any input...

A

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I haven't use the cables in question but the benifit of cables upgrade, in my experienced, mostly a subtle one. Unless you go for the like of Acoustic Zen, Cardas or Virtual Dynamics then the improvement may be larger....all imo :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts