speaker cable, natural/neutral high detail good mid and deep bass, a musical airy sound for roksan k2 and cyrus 6se on audiovectors

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
help ive got a dilema, im trying to match up speaker cable to the following set up, cyrus 6se cd to roksan k2 amp to audiovector m3 signature speakers, cables = ive got two true colours contrictor power leads, and using a ecosse nu diva interconnect. when i bought the cyrus 6se, the seller mentioned to me that the set up sounds best with ofc speaker cable, giving me the tip of chord oddassy 2 speaker cable. and that i shouldnt run the set up on anything silver coated or qed silver or x tube. well ive got xtube 400 speaker cable, i thought id give it a go anyway due to how mcuh it cost me and to be fair im the one listening to it. my findings are so fair, its a very detailed airy sound, giving good trble mid and bass, but can be a bit bright on certain tracks, and also bass can get quite thick. ive put posts on here asking for advice and been told to sit tight and keep listening. or try cheap cable or borrow some cable from local hi fi store. well ive got some van den hul cs122 cable from a few years ago that was replaced by the qed xtube cable. after having a evening listening to the van den hul cable my first impression is that its less bright than x tube, very detailed in places and on certain tracks, but the mid suffers and also the bass. i almost felt like i would like a hybrid of both cables, keep the musical feel of the van den hul but gain the bass and mid of the xtube. the van den hul played complicated tracks well (e.g.jacksons scream) and played a few tracks off tracy chapmans album with a very tap the foot fashion. but other tracks like pink floyd devision bell sounded flat and i know ive heard it sound better than that. so after all the blah blah, has any one got an idea of what would be a good speaker cable to achieve what i want to achieve which is musical spacious airy sound with detail and controled but good bass with the mid not being forgotten, and also not adding a bright after taste. anything from 15 - 25 pounds a metre is my price range. would like to hear any thoughts, especially from fellow cyrus -> roksan k2 -> floor stander speakers owners. thanks for reading the above

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I like kimber 4tc or 8tc. Lovely natural sounding mids and full solid bass, and good detail and imaging, the top end is quite good too. I have used chord (which I like too), qed I have found a little bright, vanden hul I have found a bit dull.

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

Sounds to me like you're describing the amplifier and speaker combination, not the speaker wire.

A

Anonymous

i know the amp is a good amp, using the xtube 400 speaker cable shows me that the sound im looking for is there, but the xtube is too bright.

the audio vectors, were 2k a few few back now, but i know they are a good speaker.

A

Anonymous

i am hearing good stuff about the atlas hyper cable, and to be fair i think im swaying towards it, theres a website doing it for 15 pound a metre free delivery.

just wondering what alternatives are out there, that what hi fi might not of reviewed.

another point, what do people think about using one set of cables and using the gold plates to transfer the sound to all speaker posts?

ive heard that jumpers are better or having a cables for each post is best,

any thoughts guys?

thanks

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
I am using Hyper between Cyrus and PMC (hence +1 above), if you want jumpers then get the Atlas OFC ones, they were recommended to me by John Carrick from Atlas (when he advised not to bi-wire, so it wasn't as if he was just trying to flog his company's products, in fact the jumpers work out cheaper than bi-wiring with the length of cable I need).

If you want to look elsewhere, Kimber 4VS are very highly rated, copper (no silver) and around the same price I think (there's a sale on these too but I won't say where as he's very good at promoting himself...).

mickford:
i am hearing good stuff about the atlas hyper cable, and to be fair i think im swaying towards it, theres a website doing it for 15 pound a metre free delivery.

just wondering what alternatives are out there, that what hi fi might not of reviewed.

another point, what do people think about using one set of cables and using the gold plates to transfer the sound to all speaker posts?

ive heard that jumpers are better or having a cables for each post is best,

any thoughts guys?

thanks

Hi mickford

I'll suggest that you also consider standard speaker cables which have several hundred stands of OFC. I feel these cables will do trick nicely as they are simply superb and will also cost you very little.

Btw, i'll also recommend using the plates/links supplied however if you feel you have to use an alternative method then use the same speaker cables to link the posts.

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

datay

Nov 19, 2008
Visit site
Just to add to what Rick said, making your own jumpers is a fun little DIY project - I did it with Carnival Silverscreen in a second system (that resides in my girlfriend's flat). It will depend on how easy it is to strip the cable and how confident you are though. Given that you can do it, you can save yourself a not insignificant amount of money. I didn't suggest it before because as I said I've got Atlas jumpers, so I've no experience stripping Hyper cable (both ends were terminated by the dealer with Atlas z-plugs anyway).

A

Anonymous

@ MUSICRAFT

ive looked up on ebay for ofc standard speaker cable, and the best i could find is this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140443815633&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

at 5 quid a metre its 521 strand. are you saying i would get a sound im looking for and also as good as speaker cable worth 4 times as much at 20 quid a metre e.g atlas hyper or chord etc..

i would like to say im sceptical, surely you pay for what you get, surely this couldnt be because there wouldnt be a market for high end dedicated speaker cables.

a local hi fi store has sold speaker cable worth 2k a metre. im going to be realistic and my system doesnt warrant speaker cable that expensive but surely you have to spend a certain amount to get a decent sound.

any thoughts?

thanks

mickford:
@ MUSICRAFT

ive looked up on ebay for ofc standard speaker cable, and the best i could find is this http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=140443815633&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT

at 5 quid a metre its 521 strand. are you saying i would get a sound im looking for and also as good as speaker cable worth 4 times as much at 20 quid a metre e.g atlas hyper or chord etc..

i would like to say im sceptical, surely you pay for what you get, surely this couldnt be because there wouldnt be a market for high end dedicated speaker cables.

a local hi fi store has sold speaker cable worth 2k a metre. im going to be realistic and my system doesnt warrant speaker cable that expensive but surely you have to spend a certain amount to get a decent sound.

any thoughts?

thanks

Hi mickford

Unfortunately i can't view the link however from your description i use some similar speaker cables which costs even less then the £5 you've listed.

I appreciate your thoughts however fwiw some of the components i use/have used these standard OFC speaker cables with include Krell FPB300/FPB600, Naim NAP 250.2, ATC SIA2-150 MK2/CA2/P1, Yamaha DSP-Z11, Plinius Hiato, Dynaudio DM 2/6 - DM 2/7, ATC SCM40, Roksan Caspian M1 , Monitor Audio PL300, Chord Electronics DSP8000/SPM3005, Onkyo PR-SC5508/PA-MC5500, Monitor Audio Apex, Proac Response 3.8, Pioneer A-400, Musical Fidelity A370, Pioneer LX90 etc. Despite the main components listed, the simplicity of construction and very modest cost of these standard OFC speaker cables i have never felt these cables holding the amps and speakers back.
emotion-1.gif
Simply superb
emotion-2.gif

All the best

Rick @ Musicraft

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I now use the atlas ascent 2.5 (older stuff). Its OCC copper (no grain) and the bass has never been so tight and deep. Everything sounds more natural than the cable I used before (Van Damme UP LC-OFC, less grain than OFC) which beats most of the cheaper cables.

I certainly have NO desire to change again, its superb stuff

007L2Thrill

Feb 9, 2010
Visit site
mickford:

My thoughts exactly!
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

People pay to see clairvoyants...

Seriously, it's simple economics: you charge what the market will bear, and the market decides what you sell. If people want to spend a lot of money on cables, then you make them. Whether or not a cable makes a difference doesn't come into it.

You can buy cheap soap or expensive soap, but its still soap. Only the packaging and the smell changes, not the ability to clean.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:Whether or not a cable makes a difference doesn't come into it.

Absolute rubbish

Incidentally, did you know Densen released a 'hifi cleaner' in cd form?

I have one
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:Grottyash:Whether or not a cable makes a difference doesn't come into it.

Absolute rubbish

I have one
emotion-21.gif
AR, you've misunderstood totally. I'm not talking about technical matters, merely economics.

A

Anonymous

Grottyash:aliEnRIK:Grottyash:Whether or not a cable makes a difference doesn't come into it.

Absolute rubbish

I have one
emotion-21.gif
AR, you've misunderstood totally. I'm not talking about technical matters, merely economics.
he does that
emotion-1.gif

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Grottyash:aliEnRIK:Grottyash:Whether or not a cable makes a difference doesn't come into it.

Absolute rubbish

I have one
emotion-21.gif

Im talking economics too

In this economical climate, theres no room for BS traders

If say a high end nordost cable really didnt sound any better to 'anyone' theyd simply not sell any (or very few)

Its true that reviews can boost sales (im talking to you QED), but if the high end cables didnt do what they were supposed to, they just wouldnt sell in the quantities needed to stay afloat

I really hope those that do con people go bust mind

T

the record spot

007L2Thrill:mickford:

My thoughts exactly!
emotion-2.gif

Except in home audio a whole bunch of claims are made that often have very little basis in fact, but go nearer to subjective description of improvements that are often difficult to backup.

I used to use Audioquest Type IV, swapped it out for some 322-strand cable at £5.50 for 10m (as in, that was the total price, so 55p a metre) and it's excellent. No loss in quality. What's it going to cost you? By all means buy the higher end cable if you like, but a fiver's a couple of drinks in a pub and maybe a big saving over the other cabling. Just be open-minded and avoid all the BS.

stephennic

Jul 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi,

I hope this dosen't turn into a cable debate - its christmas.

I must admit some of the cheaper cable Ive tried beats some of the more expensive stuff around - let you ears decide. Some hifi shops can let you try cable first on your system before buying. I have found some cables didn't gel with my system - system snergy is important.

Have a great christmas everyone - from the land downunder.
emotion-1.gif

Cheers

Steve.

A

Anonymous

aliEnRIK:Grottyash:aliEnRIK:Grottyash:Whether or not a cable makes a difference doesn't come into it.

Absolute rubbish

I have one
emotion-21.gif

Im talking economics too

In this economical climate, theres no room for BS traders

If say a high end nordost cable really didnt sound any better to 'anyone' theyd simply not sell any (or very few)

Its true that reviews can boost sales (im talking to you QED), but if the high end cables didnt do what they were supposed to, they just wouldnt sell in the quantities needed to stay afloat

I really hope those that do con people go bust mindAR, let me try to explain.

It's raining outside and two people go into the shop to buy an umbrella. There are two umbrellas on the counter, one no-name and one branded Hugo Boss.

The umbrellas use the same material and cover the same area. Even their internals are the same. The one difference is that the Hugo Boss umbrella has the Hugo Boss name carefully displayed and a handle hand-carved from 100 year old French oak. Oh, and the no-name has a price of 10? and the Hugo Boss 100?.

Both customers are wearing expensive suits, hand-made leather shoes and sport Rolex watches.

Which umbrella do you think will be their first choice?

A

Anonymous

I have used Kimber 4TC on various systems over the years, have found it an excellent cable in being neutral with a natural tonal balance.
Have no desire to change it for anything else but that doesn't mean that other excellent cables don't exist. After all it is your own listening that you have to satisfy.

Happy Christmas everybody.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts