Speaker Cable Home Cinema

lbafsaj

Feb 28, 2008
Visit site
Just setting up my new home cinema system and have QED Rev Signature cable for my fronts and will use same for the centre. Finances will not support running this for rears ( prob 20 mtrs reqd) , so what effect (if any) will there be if I go for a budget QED cable ? My logic states that the auto setup on my receiver should take care of any sonic differences ? Am I wildly out here ?

Any thoughts please,

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
The view I took is that the rears are mainly for ambient sound so I put QED silver anniversary to the front and cheaper to the rear

Ooops, typo

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
As a rule of thumb, you're much better off with a quality speaker cable on the fronts than the rears as most soundtracks are front heavy and the majority of dialogue is centre driven and music L/R driven. As suggested the rears are for effects and ambient sounds. QED Signature Revelation is a very good cable for L/C/R - you could use either QED original or even QED Micro on the rears which is a little less expensive.

Lee H

Oct 7, 2010
Visit site
I've got QED micro on the rears as I had to thread them up through a stand to the Kefs. I have to say I'm happy with the results

A

Anonymous

QED micro will be a good option for the rears - same brand as the fronts so a similar family sound (if such a thing exists).

You are not going to be using the rears for 2 channel music listening which is where a spotlight shines on a system's performance the most. Also as others have said the rears are ambient and only a small section of the audio mix.

A

Anonymous

in reality actually you're better off with better speaker cable for the rears ... well certainly thicker anyway

not that any of us actually do this

but the longer the run the more critical the cable ...

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Buckshar:
in reality actually you're better off with better speaker cable for the rears ... well certainly thicker anyway

not that any of us actually do this

but the longer the run the more critical the cable ...

Agreed (Sort of), but the rears dont matter as much as theyre behind us and only carry surround effects. The vast majority of the detail comes from the fronts.

A

Anonymous

chudleighpaul:Are we getting into another cable thread? (Rubs hands with glee!)
emotion-14.gif

audioaffair

Feb 21, 2009
Visit site
c0pperhead:
chudleighpaul:Are we getting into another cable thread? (Rubs hands with glee!)
emotion-15.gif

Of Can A Worms. Now rearrange .
emotion-14.gif

Hope not! I'm sure we can all agree though you can have a lesser quality speaker cable on the rears (or with my glass half full hat on, a better quality speaker cable on the fronts) as a proportion of your cable budget. QED revelation signature is a great cable so you've chosen well for the fronts. Micro is ideal if you want to tuck it under the carpet, otherwise QED original is a good choice for the rears.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts