Speaker Cable For Onkyo Amp To B&W 685 package

pip1st74

Jan 12, 2009
Visit site
Hi All

Can anyone recomend the best speaker cable & sub cable to use for my set up.

Will need appox 30 mtrs of speaker cable

Is there any difference if you connect via bannana plug or just straight wire into speaker & amp ?

Thanks

Paul

Ps Amp=Onkyo 875,Speakers B&W 685 package

AdrianCoates

Mar 20, 2009
Visit site
Hi Paul

I've got the Onkyo 876 amp connected to the B&W Home theatre system using QED Silver Anniversary speaker cable and a QED cable into the sub

Putting banana plugs on is a bit of a pain (literally) but was advised to by Sevenoaks as even a tiny strand of loose wire into the amp is a real problem - just remember to pop out the black plugs from the Amp

cheers

Adrian

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Agree with that (I also use the QED Silver Anniversary XT with my Onkyo / 685 combo), though WHF rate Chord's SilverScreen above it - see what your dealer offers and what deals he'll do.

On banana plugs vs bare wire, the QED Airloc plugs are meant to present an advantage as they will prevent (or at least slow dramatically) the oxidisation of the cable which means you don't need to periodically cut back the wire to allow fresh contact with the copper wire and the terminal. Banana plugs also make it easier to remove and replug the connections, something I'm thankful for each time I move my system around! In terms of sound though, there isn't any advantage with either really as long as decent quality banana plugs are used.

Again, worth checking with your dealer what deals they'll do and if you want the Airloc plugs, you'll need them to fit them for you anyway.

A

Anonymous

ive just ordered the QED XT evo with airlock plugs, Found it for £5.85m and £16 for both ends to be airlockd from the net (av4home)

Sliced Bread

May I offer an alternative opinion.
Personally I didn't like the Silver Anniversary connected to my Onk. Things were a touch too hard in the upper frequencies. Just my opinion though.
It wasn't terrible by any means, but just that tinsy bit too bright.

TRENDING THREADS