Speaker cable for kef ls50?

Chr78

Dec 28, 2013
Visit site
Hey guys.

My setup is a Peachtree audio nova 125se and Kef ls50. The sound that im looking for is detailed, clear and punchy. I have been looking on some cables like the qed RUBY Anniversary, Kimber 4vs, Atlas hyper 2,0 or some chord cables. Please comment on these cables or recommend something else. Thanks

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Hey guys.

My setup is a Peachtree audio nova 125se and Kef ls50. The sound that im looking for is detailed, clear and punchy. I have been looking on some cables like the qed RUBY Anniversary, Kimber 4vs, Atlas hyper 2,0 or some chord cables. Please comment on these cables or recommend something else. Thanks

any. don't spend too much.

abacus

2.5 mm sq OFC cable is all you need, it can be picked up at places like Maplin.

Avoid Hifi speaker cable manufactures at all costs, as they will charge you an arm and a leg for something that looks fancy & posh, but offers no improvement over the cable mentioned above.

Also do a search in the WHF forums, as there are a number of cable threads that can be viewed.

Hope this helps

Bill

JMac

May 10, 2012
Visit site
The logic behind speaker cable does baffle me somewhat. Surely its always going to be limited by the wiring inside the speaker?

Infiniteloop

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
If possible, go and listen to some different cables and make up your own mind if you can hear a difference and if the difference is big enough to justify the cost. - Do this preferably in your own system.

If you can't hear a difference between any of them (some people can't), then just choose the cheapest option.

I'm using Atlas Hyper 2.0 in my main system.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:
If possible, go and listen to some different cables and make up your own mind if you can hear a difference and if the difference is big enough to justify the cost. - Do this preferably in your own system.

If you can't hear a difference between any of them (some people can't), then just choose the cheapest option.

I'm using Atlas Hyper 2.0 in my main system.

i agree.

For cheap cable, look at Linn K20 from ebay.

Atlas is a good shout.

Going more expensive - TQ Black.....but a demo is a must.

You won't get consenus on what to do, so you will to have to make up your own mind.

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site
Chr78 said:
Hey guys.

Sorry but as a member here for some years I would have hoped you may have seen previous threads on cables. What cable will give clear detailed and punchy? Copper is universally accepted as most appropriate. Ask your hi-fi dealer for some demo cable or look at all the cable threads all over this site.

jonathanRD

Jan 27, 2011
Visit site
RobinKidderminster said:
Chr78 said:
Hey guys.

Sorry but as a member here for some years I would have hoped you may have seen previous threads on cables. What cable will give clear detailed and punchy? Copper is universally accepted as most appropriate. Ask your hi-fi dealer for some demo cable or look at all the cable threads all over this site.

I wouldn't make my worst enemy do that!

I had this same setup (Nova 125SE, pair of LS50's, SVS SB2000 sub). I had a pair of Analysis Plus Black Mesh Oval 9's with this setup.

I replaced the Peachtree with a Pioneer Receiver (LX88) and added 3 more LS50's for a 5.1 setup. I've stuck with all Analysis Plus cables.

I have no idea how much the cables add to the experience (apart from a huge cost to my pocket :-( ) but I loved the old Peachtree setup (sold the Peachtree) and love my new Pioneer setup now!

Hope that helps :)

andyjm

Jul 20, 2012
Visit site
Infiniteloop said:

What is known in marketing circles as 'the emperor's new clothes' strategy.

wilro15

Jan 19, 2012
Visit site
Buy some second hand cable off eBay. Get some that is professionally terminated with spade / banana plugs. Don't worry too much about the brand or the thickness, unless you run it over very long lengths it makes no difference.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
Going more expensive - TQ Black.....but a demo is a must.

This is a good shout - expectation bias etc aside - my cousin uses this and had chord odyssey before and the cheaper van damme UPLOFC stuff.

He hated it at first but now would never part with it. Not sure I would describe it as punchy but it is very clear!

For a punchy sound the Van Damme UPLOFC whatever it is a good shout and cheap enough to not upset the cable haters on here, PMC / Bryston were using it at Bristol I think - Its not my favourite but would probably suit your tast by the sound of it

Chord Odyssey is also one to test out because I think it will be worth it based on your taste requirement if you can afford it / justify the cost against the real cheap stuff

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Sorry if you believe cables do make a difference

Out of the 3 I mentioned - they are all different.

TQ Black by my guess is multiple thinner individual strands of solid core, probably OCC copper which is why its expensive.

Van damme is highish purity OFC stranded - I think the Linear Crystal aspect is similar to what OCC is supposed to do to the cable grain.

Then you have Odyssey which is similar to the above but silver plated - which if you believe it can have an effect as well.

Worth demo of the 2 you can if you feel it may make a difference

MickyBlue

Oct 24, 2013
Visit site
chord cables don't work well with the ls50's, they make the speaker sound bright, i would either opt for a copper cable like the NAC or TQ Blacks.

Demo first!

RobinKidderminster

May 27, 2009
Visit site

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts