Speaker cable for Arcam/PMC set-up

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I've just replaced my CD192 with FMJ CD36 and whilst I'm extremely happy with my system I do wonder whether I could be getting further additional improvements from a speaker cable upgrade. It's quite possible that the QED Silver Anniversary bi-wire is still more than adequate - it's stood me in good stead for a number of years now and I don't want to it change for the sake of it. However any suggestions/recommendations would be most welcome - as I wouldn't know where to start!

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Hi Nandjg - You and I have quite similar set-ups, and you're asking youself the very same question I was asking myself about 6 months ago! I've got a CD93, A32/P35 & PMC TB2+ speakers. Initally I had them hooked up with QED SAB exactly the same as you. I was contemplating buying some fancy speaker cables and I gave PMC a call to see what they recommended. They said they use Van Damme in all their R&D and the professional studio installations they do. So I got myself some of the 6mm HiFi LCOFC speaker cable - http://www.vdctrading.com/products.asp?SubSectionID=1&Page=3 - and some of their screw-on bannana plugs.

I found a massive improvement straight away over the QED, even though the Van Damme on paper looks like (at best) a sideways step. Very happy, and glad I didn't spend silly money (PMC guy laughed when i said I was thinking about splashing out, which speaks volumes I guess).

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there are any hifi retailers who stock it so don't know if you could try before you buy, but at £4/m or whatever it is I just figured it was worth a shot. Like me you'd need to double up on single wire lengths as I don't believe they do a bi-wire version.

Really hope this helps!

A

Anonymous

nandjg:I've just replaced my CD192 with FMJ CD36

First impressions? Was the upgrade worth it [cable issue notwithstanding]? Sorry to jijack....

Atlas Hyper 2 works for me by the way (Monitor Audio)

crusaderlord

Apr 29, 2008
Visit site
I used to have the the QED silver anniversary XT cable but switched to Chord Silverscreen which is very marginally more expensive at £6 per metre and for me improved the smoothness of the sound by a decent margin.

That said i am just in the process of trying out some Chord Epic Twin which is closer to c£40 per metre and i have to say it is simply fantastic. I pretty much know i am going to buy it once the demo is over.

Thankfully the good news is that i only need 2m max for each pair. Given i just tried out some expensive interconnects up to £200 with little marked improvement i have to say spending more on the speaker cable to my mind offers a much better investment return.

A

Anonymous

What kind of difference might i expect between the QED & Vandam? Im running standard silver aniversary. Ive tryed making phono leads with vandam cables to fair effect. Certainly somewhere between a £50 lead and my silver phono leads. I might well buy some to see.

I bought some leads off ebay last week and gave the wrong address lol. gutted.

A

Anonymous

Dan Turner:
Hi Nandjg - You and I have quite similar set-ups, and you're asking youself the very same question I was asking myself about 6 months ago! I've got a CD93, A32/P35 & PMC TB2+ speakers. Initally I had them hooked up with QED SAB exactly the same as you. I was contemplating buying some fancy speaker cables and I gave PMC a call to see what they recommended. They said they use Van Damme in all their R&D and the professional studio installations they do. So I got myself some of the 6mm HiFi LCOFC speaker cable - http://www.vdctrading.com/products.asp?SubSectionID=1&Page=3 - and some of their screw-on bannana plugs.

I found a massive improvement straight away over the QED, even though the Van Damme on paper looks like (at best) a sideways step. Very happy, and glad I didn't spend silly money (PMC guy laughed when i said I was thinking about splashing out, which speaks volumes I guess).

Unfortunately I'm not sure if there are any hifi retailers who stock it so don't know if you could try before you buy, but at £4/m or whatever it is I just figured it was worth a shot. Like me you'd need to double up on single wire lengths as I don't believe they do a bi-wire version.

Really hope this helps!
THanks for ther info Dan, I'll make some enquiries.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
Friendly - I found that by comparison to the QED Silver anniversary the Van Damme just sounded much more open and articulate, the QED was constrained by comparison. The most notable thing though was the bass - deeper, more tuneful and 'bouncier'. When I initially made the change I only had my A32 integrated so I went from Silver Anniversary bi-wire to single-wire lengths of the Van Damme, which to my mind makes the improvement all the more impressive.

A

Anonymous

Hi Graham
First impressions - I've only had it for a few days so I'm sure it will need to be run in for a while more yet, the 192 certainly took some time to sound at it's best - the overall sound of the CD36 is really quite different to the 192, which I must admit has surprised me somewhat. I've been listening to some varied music (as least as varied as my collection of mainly rock & blues will allow!) and have noted higher levels of detail and separation between instruments, the soundstage is clearly improved and there is more bass weight (even the wife has commented on that!) However when listenening to the track 'The Song Remains the Same' from Led Zep's Mothership CD I found that RP's vocals were quite far back in the mix, not something I had noticed before - but who's to say that this isn't a more accurate recreation of the recording? All in all though so far so very good indeed.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts