Speaker Cable choices

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have just bought quad 21l floorstanders which are awesome!

I wanted to upgrade my speaker cable,at present i have QED SILVER ANNIVERSARY BI WIRE.

EQUIPMENT I HAVE IS ARCAM DVD PLAYER,DENON AV 2803 AMP,MORDAUNT SHORT AVANT CENTRE SPEAKER AND MISSION SURROUNDS ALONG WITH A GALE SUB.

SKY+ BOX

ANY ADVICE? 

A

Anonymous

Wow!

ÿ

Expensive stuff-thanks but will look around i think ÿÿ

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
chefsmusic:
Wow!

ÿ

Expensive stuff-thanks but will look around i think ÿÿ

It is excellent cable but I feel that your amp and speakers are not going to benefit from such cable. To be perfectly honest, using a av receiver instead of a stereo amp is going to hold you back from any more improvement in your system. I doubt that any speaker cable is going to make an improvement in what you already have. Your current cable is probably better than it needs to be.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I completely agree with that (except I personally think the QED cable isnt as good as people make out). You would barely notice better cable in your current setup though.

I would recommend buying a decent 2 channel amp and use it to power the main speakers in the home cinema setup (The denon on center and rear duties). This means you can get a proper 'hifi' experience when listening to cds. Although this also means you would need a decent pair of interconnects from the av amp to the stereo amp

A

Anonymous

I believe you are both correct to be,maybe i can look around on ebay for a half decent stereo ampliflier,i did this before,i had an arcam ampliflier and a yamaha processor which worked well.

Thanks again ÿguys

ÿ

Tonyÿ

A

Anonymous

I actually disagree with the above opinions. I have used a selection of cables in the past (as I am sure have plenty of people) but I settled with Chord Odyssey 2. I have compared the cable with equipment ranging from a £200 receiver to my Naim amp and I believe it makes a difference whatever you are using. You may not be able to extract the most from it, but to me it is a massive step up from any of the QED cables.

It depends on your tastes though, but if you feel you are missing 'something' using the QED, you will find the Chord cable much more open with a fuller sound.

IMO bi-wiring is a money making subject, I certainly don't believe in it's effects. On your system I would try the Chord Odyssey 2, trust me you'll hear a difference.ÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i would say spend as much as you feel is resonable - the cable will last a good few upgrades because its that good - no point in buying something then a year down line having to upgrade it again cause bought new amp or speakers. i think biwiring makes a difference also allows you to bi amp in future if you go down that route without having to buy new cables far more versatile,

you could upgrade centre cable as well but don't buy it for the rears get the cheaper carnival classic or keep what you have although saying that your centre is diff make to your fronts anyway so prob won't matter

A

Anonymous

Personally first and foremost i think bi wiring does make a difference,i feel you get a purer sound.

I am considering buying another cd player and seperate ampliflier maybe arcam amp and cd player.

Are you saying i shouldnt bi wire at all?(previous post) I would like to try both and see the difference once i have the new equipment.

My centre speaker cable is just a gale cable.ÿ

ÿ

Thanksÿ

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
as i said i think biwiring makes a difference if you are going to buy seperates in the future whether that a years or two the cable will last buy the better cable and get biwire runs as said more flexability

A

Anonymous

Bi-wiring probably suits speakers that have been designed for bi-wiring, but I think the technical debate suggests that if the same speaker were designed for single wire, it would be of the same quality sound.

Anyway, Chord Odyssey 2 is superb, a good recommendation that I will second. Very open sound with deep bass.

A

Anonymous

For an alternative to Chord, try out Kimber. I found my current Kimber cable far smoother and slightly warmer than Chord (Ive owned Rumour and Odyssey in the past) and suited my system a lot better.

Another tip; always try and buy used then you can easily recoup your outlay back on auction sites...

A

Anonymous

Can I just point out too, even if there are any benefits with bi-wire, I don't think you will necessarily will be able to achieve them using a receiver. I believe you would need a good stereo amplifier to hear them. Since most single cables are around half the price of their bi-wire brothers I would suggest you go for a higher quality single wire cable as you will be getting better value for money. ÿ

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts