Speaker Cable Advice To Complete Set-Up

DiscoDeeJay

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I'll try again, as it won't let me post or edit my OP...........

In a moment of mid-life crisis, I have just ordered the following:

TV: Samsung UE65ES8000

Blu-Ray: Panasonic: DMP-BDT500

AV Amp: Pioneer SC-LX56

Speakers: Monitor Audio MASS 5.1 (I hope to increase to 7.1 when the wife isn't looking) :shhh:

HDMI Cables: That Cable High Speed HDMI Cable With Ethernet V1.4

Subwoofer Cable: Atlas Element Integra

Optical Digital Cable (For Sky+): QED Performance Graphite

Speaker Cable: QED Micro

The QED Micro cable was supplied as part of the package and I am happy to use it for the surround speakers, but was wondering if the WHF Experts think it will be ok for the front and centre channels, or should I upgrade and if so, what to?

I have also ordered the MASS stands and brackets for the front and surround speakers, can anyone who has these speakers/stands advise whether cable connections are best with banana plugs, spades or just wrapping around the connection post.

Kit will be in a designated cinema/music room, used mainly for Sky movies/Blu-Ray and soul/jazz/disco music.

Any advice or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks.

sogophonio11

Jun 23, 2011
Visit site
Oh no another cable debate!:wall: One i will not join in though.

Plainly put then. In my own experience, have found chord speaker cables out perform qed at every price point. That is why i swapped my old qed cables for chord.

So have a look at future shops site, for the ones you feel comfortable to afford. You will find Adam very clued up and helpful.

Cheers:wave:

abacus

Professional Studios (The ones that make all the music available too you) recommend a minimum size of 2.5mm 2 , OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) multi-strand, so just buy the cheapest that meets these requirements. (Buying expensive cables is futile as they will make NO difference to the sound)

Hope this helps

Bill

michael hoy

abacus said:
Professional Studios (The ones that make all the music available too you) recommend a minimum size of 2.5mm 2 , OFC (Oxygen Free Copper) multi-strand, so just buy the cheapest that meets these requirements. (Buying expensive cables is futile as they will make NO difference to the sound)

Hope this helps

Bill

I would recommend Van Damme - the cable is well made and I use it for my system.

There are a few threads on here about van damme

duaplex

Feb 22, 2011
Visit site
michael hoy said:
abacus said:

Hope this helps

Bill

I would recommend Van Damme - the cable is well made and I use it for my system.

There are a few threads on here about van damme

I can't say I have much experience with different types of cable, but retailers have told me a few things which I will pass on. Whether its 100% true is another story, but it does sound legitimate.

1. Keep the same cable all around as this will keep the resistence the same across the system (front, center and rears)

2. Fronts are always more important then rears, so the bulk of your cable money should be spent on the fronts... Contradicts point 1 really as you could buy van den hul and then maplins OFC for the rears.

3. Spend 20% of your budget on cables.

Now to me no more than £10 a meter is enough, anything above is a waste. Just make sure its OFC and sheilded and you are good to go. Of course, materials become more important if you are embedding into walls etc.

DiscoDeeJay

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
Thanks guys, I picked up 3 lengths of factory terminated Chord Company Carnival Silverscreen.

I will bear the Van Damme in mind though, should I decide to change.

TRENDING THREADS