Speaker advice needed: nice allround bookshelft that is not fussy with placement

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Hi,

I have a Harman Kardon HK990 that is both my source (fed from pc) and my amp, they are currently driving Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII's, but due to room restrictions the rear firing Dynaudio's can't be placed ideally. They can be placed max 30cm from the rear wall and the left speaker is 40 cm away from a side wall, on top of that they are placed on a cabinet (pretty solid though). The Dynaudio's can sound wonderful with acoustic music, but once I start listening to something with more bass, the magic dissapears.

Anyone care to recommend me some nice allround bookshelves for max €1200 of approx. £1000, budget can be stretched a little, but not too much.

Cheers

albireo

Oct 6, 2011
Visit site
Hi, sorry I can't help with your specific question however I was wondering if you could be more specific on the Dynaudio/HK synergy. I have a pair of Dynaudio Focus 110 myself and was considering this 990 to drive them. Apart from the issue due to speaker placement, do you think this amp was able to drive your Dynaudio perfectly?

mpapo said:
I have a Harman Kardon HK990 that is both my source (fed from pc) and my amp, they are currently driving Dynaudio Contour 1.3 MKII's, but due to room restrictions the rear firing Dynaudio's can't be placed ideally. They can be placed max 30cm from the rear wall and the left speaker is 40 cm away from a side wall, on top of that they are placed on a cabinet (pretty solid though). The Dynaudio's can sound wonderful with acoustic music, but once I start listening to something with more bass, the magic dissapears.

mpapo

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions all, but I have the feeling that the suggested speakers are a bit too small ?

I might be looking for a more substantial speaker like ATC SCM 11, EB Acoustics EB2 ?

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mpapo said:
Thanks for the suggestions all, but I have the feeling that the suggested speakers are a bit too small ?

I might be looking for a more substantial speaker like ATC SCM 11, EB Acoustics EB2 ?

What size is your room?

The SA1s have more bass than you would expect looking at them, but they do have their limitations...in the right sized room, they do sound well.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
mpapo said:
room is approx 6m x 4,5m, so not that big

I suspect that is right on the limit for the SA1, possibly over it.

Audio Note make speakers that are designed to be against the wall and in the corners. The AX-2 are too small and the AN-K may be more than you wish to spend (and are not the prettiest, but sound great).

http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/ax-2_01.shtml
http://www.audionote.co.uk/products/speakers/an-k_01.shtml

TRENDING THREADS