Spare cash available...upgrade time.....again!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ok.....had good news today and have some spare cash, and approval from the wifey([:O]) to use some on an upgrade....

Seen the Monitor Audio BR5's and matching centre speaker(BRLCR) for under £400......

1) Would that be a good upgrade from my Q Acoustics 1030i floorstanders and matching centre?

2) Would these work ok with the Q Acoustics sub and rear speakers?

3) Would they work well with the Denon AVR 2310?

Any help would be much appreciated......

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Ah, back to your incremental upgrade ideas again, Pete - thought we'd cured you of that with the receiver saga
emotion-2.gif

Your Denon is capable of driving bigger-still speakers - that would give you a true sonic boost.

Then, of course, there's your old telly
emotion-14.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hey, hey now.......nothing wrong with my tv to my eyes. The SD picture quality is very good, and superior to my friend's 1080P tv!!

Ok, it misses some detail with blu ray etc, but it's used for freeview 95% of the time at the moment.

Anyway, it's not that old!

So...in your opinion, the Monitors are not much better than the Q Acoustics then?

I assume just changing the front and centre speakers is not the best idea then?

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete,

In the interest of integration and a cohesive and seamless presentation from your system, and if it is Monitor Audio that you want for under £600, I would go for the MA BR2 AV 5.1 system from hifix.co.uk
109023-1.jpg

Ronald

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for comments...

ear....BX would be my choice too, but alas too much money at the moment, and I, like the next person, just love a bargain!!

Ronald.....must have floorstanders at the front.....and don't like the rear bi pole speakers much, which incidently had bad reviews in this system.

Richard....very tempting, but again those rear speakers don't thrill me, which is why I was asking about changing just the front three speakers, and using my Q Acoustics sub and 1010i at the rear.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
ear.....that's the burning question, I think. I assume you have heard these speakers then, if your quoting that they are not very neutral.....?

richard......I was thinking the same thing as the BR1's are cheaper than the BRFX's!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
ear:then the br5 will be better than the 1030? dont really know...the br5 are good bur not very neutral also.

Just read 4 old reviews for the BR5's, and all mention how neutral they are....????

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
never heard the 1010, or the 1030.only heard the 2010 the 2020 and the 2050 and 1020. they all seemed a bit edgy on the treble.the br5 are a bit edgy on the midrange, but they are more refined sounding . the Denon you have has for sure equalizer for speakers.so any need od adjustement would be fine, but I just think it is not much of an upgrade. From what I read the Bx range is more neutral.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
ok...newish idea......

Buy a pair of B&W 685's and centre HTM62 to run with the Q Acoustics 1010i rear and 1000SI sub......

Add some good stands for the fronts, and then add a pair of B&W M1's or 686's later if needed.......

Better, more worthwhile idea, Clare and Dave?

It least it is a stepping stone to the full B&W 685 theatre set up.....and my local hifi shop (literally across the road) stock these speakers to go listen to. I noticed today that they had my Denon 2310 hooked up in the demo room too.....I feel a demo coming on!!!!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts