Spam threads

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
...seem to be being started by the bucketload this evening.

Does this forum not support some kind of system to stop bots registering new accounts and starting spam threads? E.g.: Capcha, or maybe have it so that mods have to manually enable all newly-registered accounts.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Fair enough, very difficult to stop humans.

They'd have to pay me a bloody good wage to do a monotonous job of creating spam accounts and threads on websites. And anyway I don't know who they think reads them, you can spot them a mile off.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
MajorFubar said:
They'd have to pay me a bloody good wage to do a monotonous job of creating spam... threads on websites.
Yeah, I know, it could be argued I do it round here regularly for free :roll: I'll say it myself before somebody else does...

John Duncan

Nobody has to read them. The point is to get a link from a well-regarded/busy site to your own site, which has a great deal of value from an SEO perspective. So if google thinks that people on WHF are linking to scamshoes.com, then it thinks scamshoes.com is A Good Thing.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
Ah right so to get that all important referral on Google from WHF it relies on us clicking links inside their spam threads. Or do they only have to start the thread on a popular site for their rating to go up?

Sorry if that's a dumb question. You can see the limit of my knowledge regarding online marketing...

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
We have a spam filter called Mollom designed to catch this stuff. Problem is, in the last few weeks we've been swamped by more spam than ever before (typically 50,000 posts/month). We're implementing an upgrade to Mollom which will add a Capcha box to suspect posts which we hope will reduce the amount of spam getting through.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Well i can't even start a new thread, everytime i try i`m classed as spam
smiley-cry.gif

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
How is the work to speed up the site going? One minute it seems to be a lot better and then it goes back to dreadfully slow again. I know you have a lot of crud to get out of the system but an update would be nice. :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
relocated said:
How is the work to speed up the site going? One minute it seems to be a lot better and then it goes back to dreadfully slow again. I know you have a lot of crud to get out of the system but an update would be nice. :)

I am told the purge is still ongoing, and is also causing some random temporary effects such as the loss of 'read posts' data. Please bear with us – it's as frustrating for us as it is for you, and all I can do is apologise once again.

relocated

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
Andrew Everard said:
relocated said:

I am told the purge is still ongoing, and is also causing some random temporary effects such as the loss of 'read posts' data. Please bear with us – it's as frustrating for us as it is for you, and all I can do is apologise once again.

There is no need to apologise yet again. People complained, an investigation revealed the probable cause, you engaged the help of members and are doing something about it. Such problems are clearly not one button push remedied so we'll wait quietly,[which will be novel for me].

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
John Duncan said:
Nobody has to read them. The point is to get a link from a well-regarded/busy site to your own site, which has a great deal of value from an SEO perspective. So if google thinks that people on WHF are linking to scamshoes.com, then it thinks scamshoes.com is A Good Thing.

I've been trying to buy some footware from the scamshoes site that JD posted above, but so far can't get through. Can you pls check the address for me? thanks.

TRENDING THREADS