Source and speakers for Musical Fidelity X-A2

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Bought the amp from my boss so I've heard it in his system often, mainly with Sony ES and B&W or Harbeth. The sound is balanced top to bottom but slightly rounded, as in rolled off (highs) or lacking tightness (bass) at the very extremes. I'd call that forgiving if not neutral so the overall sound might be down to the source and speakers. The artists I listen to run the gamut so I'd like to keep that neutrality if I can, what I'm trying to avoid's sound that's too lean or forward.

Makes I can audition locally include Naim, Rega, Arcam, NAD, Primare, Dali, Monitor Audio, ProAc, Vienna Acoustics, Triangle, and of course Musical Fidelity. I can only do auditions weekends so I'd appreciate the advice.

CD player preferred, or a DAC that's decent over both USB and SPDIF.

Room is 14' x 12' with suspended wooden floors.

Budget is GBP 1,000 equivalent.

Thanks in advance.

Stan

A

Anonymous

The MF M1 DAC is getting rave reviews all over the place right now, if that's something you can audition. If you want a CD Player, get the matching one for your amp, a well-looked after X-Ray (£300 or so on the used-bay). Which would give you a cool £700 for the speakers. Keep an eye out for old model ProAc's on auction sites too, there was a pair of ProAc studio 150's on one of them for a £550-ish buy-it-now!

If you're buying new, I'd go with MA RX6's and the M1 DAC.

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Although I've just changed to a Roksan but loved my XA2 and still have it on standby (don't think I will ever sell it)
I've used it with Monitor Audio RS6 and B&W CM7 and sounded superb with both.
Source wise I've had a couple of Roksan CDs and an Arcam rdac. I got the rdac for a ridiculously low price but if not I think the M1 dac would have been favourite.

Musical Fidelity X-Ray CD players regularly on eBay.

Although I've not heard it with Proac, I always thought they'd be a great match.

El Hefe

Jun 21, 2008
Visit site
I just sold off my 11 years old XA1 which have been my most beloved piece of kit hence the 11 years old usage. I believe the xA2 is the same breed except it delivers more wattage. During the 11 years, I have used the following with great pleasure:

Speakers: TDL RTL3SE, Heybrook Optima, Mission M31i, EPOS M12.2 and now ProAc D18
CDP: Marantz CD67OSE, SONY 930, Marantz CD6000 and 6002, Rega Apollo and now MF XRay V3.

To me all of the above match the MF amp nicely. Everything seems to fall in place. I would suggest a matching XRay CD player, but given you have a decent budget, I woukd not suggest to get a 2nd hand XRay, just in case it will not last long given it is an old model. Unless you can still get a brand new unit.

Rega Apollo would be a good CD player, and if budget permits, couple it with the MF M1 DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts