Soundbar novice - help appreciated :)

allybee13

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
Hi guys,

My son has recently upgraded his TV and now we have his old 50" LG 50PJ650-ZA in the living room to replace the Panasonic 37PX80 that served us well for almost 6 years (thanks to a lot of you guys on here for helping me to decide on that TV way back in 2008).

I'm looking for a reasonably priced (max £100) sound bar with integrated sub-woofer to go with the 50" TV. It doesn't need massive output as we're in a semi-detached and don't want to deafen the neighbours, but I have no idea what 30W, 60W or 100W sounds like! Does the size of the TV determine the output I need? Our living room is approximately 4m x 3.5m so what output would this need?

Also, I don't know if the soundbar only needs to be attached to the TV to get improved sound or whether I need to be able to hook in my V+ box, Now TV and Blu-Ray player in order to get good sound out of them too. They're all HDMI connections at the moment, but I know that the TV does have one optical digital output. I want to be able to set it up and then let it get on with the job without having to switch cables all the time. The only soundbar I've seen with multiple HDMI inputs is a Maxell one that is too large to fit on our TV unit - I really need a slimmer bar type.

I'm currently looking at the Roth Sub Zero II or LG NB2430A as these are available on Amazon for around £100 and I have vouchers :)

What would you guys recommend? I'm not 100% set on those two models and am open to suggestions.

Your help would be appreciated.

Ally

allybee13

Jun 1, 2008
Visit site
simonlewis said:
To be honest i don't think you will find many sound bars for £100 i think you will need to double that then add some.

There are plenty available under £100, including the two that I listed, but what I need to know is whether they will be powerful enough for my TV and living room. There are 30W models at £200+ which might not do what I need them to do, regardless of the fact that they cost 2x my budget.

Advice on the output I need would be of more use than trashing my budget :grin:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts