Sound projectors vs. small bookshelf speakers

mk666

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
This is my first post, so first of all congrats on great magazine. I am your avid reader since 2000.

I need a bit of advice.

I am planning to replace my budget HIFI system:

Marantz PM4000 amp
Mission M71 speakers

My main source is Hifidelio msic server, with all my CDs losslessly encoded.

Main reasons for replacement - uncluttering of living room and a bit of surround sound

I am considering replacing them with a Yamaha YSP 1100 sound projector with an additional subwoofer (something small like REL or Wharfedale)

I can't stop worrying that it would be a mistake, as I don't want to sacrifice music performance.

I guess with a sub I would gain more bass then I have now, and also YSP looks more powerful on paper then my old Marantz. But what about soundstage and musicality ?

Also, I will probably wait for new Yamaha YSP4000, hopefully you guys will review it.

There are also Philips Ambisound and Denon DHT-fs3. You didn't rave about Philips in the latest issue, and I wonder what Denon sounds like.

Any comments from professionals will be greatly appreciated.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Have to say I can't really see the point of a sound projector purely for music. Think you'd be better off with small speakers, a sub and a conventional amp

mk666

Aug 26, 2007
Visit site
Don't get me wrong, I do watch a lot of movies too - mainly DVDs via Toshiba SD-260E. So having good dynamic sound with a clear dialogue is important.

I figured going for a sound projector would improve the movie sound, gaining surround effects without installing rear speakers as well as getting rid of the front ones too.

But I do not want to take a step back in the music department either.

Probably an age-old dilemma of having less boxes in the living room vs. keeping good sound.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts