Sound loss

GP nick

Nov 11, 2014
Visit site
Hi all,

I've been suffering intermittent sound loss on one channel recently, but not if I select the mono button on my amp (an old NAD 3120). At first I blamed the turntable (Dual 505-2), and fitted a new lead to the amp along with an AT95e cartridge, this seemed to cure the problem. However, I had the same problem occure with my Maranz CD player, I disconnected and re-connected the fly leads to the amp and both channels were working fine, do you think the amp is on the way out?

Jim-W

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site

Hi. I've got the one after yours, the NAD 3130 and I had a few problems with it about 15 years ago! I took it to a hi-fi repair shop, of which there used to be loads, and they changed capacitors and genrerally overhauled it: it still sounds great now, particularly the phono stage, and I use it every day in an office system. Your amp is old and tired! It needs looking at by somebody who knows what they're doing: it probably, like mine, has a few things to sort out The problem will be finding somebody who knows what they're doing although I don't think these are particularly difficult amps to work on. The old hi-fi repair shops are a thing of the past, but you may be lucky; if not, contact NAD and see if they can offer you anything. It's worth repairing because those old NAD amps sound lovely; in my view, far better than the modern budget equivalents.

Hope you get it sorted.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts