Sound from Tv to stereo

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all, newbee so go easy... I recently bought a Samsung 40" UE40B7000 series LED TV which i am chuffed to bits with. I also own an Arcam A65 Amp and run KEFQs speakers from it. Now, i want to connect my TV to my amp, being no tech super star i am looking for some advice.... Is it as easy as getting 1 optical cable and connecting the two? or is it a bit more complicating than this?

Now i know i wont get surround sound with this set up, but all i am looking for is the sound to fill the room better than it does with just the TV sound.

All advice is gratefully received.

Cheers all,

Cal.

A

Anonymous

I dont know the Arcam, but if it is a stereo amp you can connect the two using standard RCA cables, but not optical as your amp does not have an optical imput.

chudleighpaul

Jan 7, 2010
Visit site
I think the Samsung has only a digital optical out, so you will need a scart adapter in order to connect a pair of phono leads to your stereo amp.

Alternatively you can connect the optical out to a DAC and then to the amp,but this will be more expensive.

I suggest you try the scart solution first and see how you get on

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
IIRC that TV doesn't have analogue audio output jacks, so the OP may have to use a digital connection with a budget DAC between the TV and the amplifier, or take the audio feed from one of the Scart sockets on the rear - check which one offers in/out using a Scart adapter such as this:

scadap.jpg

EDIT: Jinx!

A

Anonymous

Also if you have a sky box, then you can run an optical cable from the rear of it, into a small DAc called CYP-AU-D3 (cost about £38-40_, then a normal RCA cable that you would run between cd player and amp, between the dac and your normal amp and hey presto, even better sound than going from the tv.

This all depends if you have sky.

A

Anonymous

Cheers for the imput folks... ok now i am confused.... My TV doesnt have ant scart connections on it. It has 4 HDMI and 3 USB ports. I have a cable which i got with the tv which has a single jack which converts into 3 phono leads(red, white, yellow). I thought this would do but since i only have a neg and pos on my amp it didnt work with the yellow lead not in use...

Cheers,

Cal.

markyd

Mar 21, 2010
Visit site
Hi Cal

The single jack cable sound like an analogue output cable. The yellow is for the video (so you dont need it) - the white is audio left, the red audio right.

The neg and positive are the speaker outputs. You need to plug the two phono leads to an input such as AV/DVD. The output from the tv is normally not related to the volume on the telly, so when you turn the tv audio off, you will still get sound going to the amp.

Built in flat panel TV speakers are at best rubbish - you wont go back to them :)

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Yes, the SCART connection mentioned in the spec appears to be on a dedicated connector, rather than a conventional 21-pin socket. An adapter cable with a plug to fit this 'EXT RGB' socket on one end, and a Scart connector on the other, should be in the box with the TV, and this provides L/R analogue audio out from the TV and digital TV tuners, though not from any external sources connected to the TV. For more on this see page 12 of the TV manual.

AFAIK the end of the cable has a Scart socket on it, into which the adapter I illustrated above can be inserted, and thus phono cables connected to your amplifier.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts