Sound from Kef iq5se

tosh

Dec 10, 2007
Visit site
Is the sound coming from the speakers meant to be even or is the bass meant to be stronger from the left channel as mine seem to be?Also what are the small cables running from top binding posts to bottom doing? Any help would be great.

A

Anonymous

if you think your speakers are faulty, swap them over. if you hear the same then its not your speakers. the sound from each speaker is supposed to be different. its called stereo.

A

Anonymous

Yes, try swapping the speakers round. If the speaker that is normally bassy is still bassy it is probably the speakers, if not...it either a balance setting or tone setting (perhaps you are using an equaliser), the place where you put the speaker may be causing this (too close to a wall etc).

If the speaker that you swapped remains bassy, try swapping the leads round. If it is still bassy and you have tried moving the position of it also (away from a wall most likely) the speaker is the problem.

Dont worry too much...IT IS CHRISTMAS!

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tosh"]
Is the sound coming from the speakers meant to be even or is the bass meant to be stronger from the left channel as mine seem to be?Also what are the small cables running from top binding posts to bottom doing? Any help would be great.

[/quote]

No -one seems to want to answer the second part of your question, I don't have IQ5se's, but I would assume that the cables running between the binding posts are joining the treble and mid/bass sections of your crossover together, allowing you to run with single-wire runs, you would have to remove them if you wanted to bi-wire. Some companies sell replacements for these links and some magazines recommend replacing the links with short runs of speaker cable.
Whether they make any difference, I am not qualified to say.

Anton90125

Sep 1, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="tosh"]Is the sound coming from the speakers meant to be even or is the bass meant to be stronger from the left channel as mine seem to be?[/quote]

As well as what others have already stated, consider where your speakers are sitting. Is the environment the same for both speakers? Is one of the speakers (the bassy one) nearer a wall or a room corner more then the other one?

[quote user="Gwyndy"] I would assume that the cables running between the binding posts are joining the treble and mid/bass sections of your crossover together, allowing you to run with single-wire runs,[/quote]

I agree with Gwyndy that the wires are jumpers joining the two halfs of the crossover looking at the picture:
http://www.kef.com/qseries/technology.htm

[quote user="Gwyndy"]Whether they make any difference, I am not qualified to say.[/quote]

Try biwiring out for yourself, if you hear a difference then fine, if you don't then also fine.

TRENDING THREADS