Sony XR-55A95K

BanquoStarbon

May 20, 2022
Visit site
I seen a lot of hype around the QD-OLED TV’s so it was good to read a balanced, sensible review and take on the new tech. I’m interested but will wait and see how this compares to the Panasonic LZ2000.

Hifiman

Apr 17, 2020
Visit site
It is perhaps not surprising that there is only an incremental improvement in brightness since, although QD-OLED panels do not suffer the light loss of OLEDs filters, it is still fundamentally lit by an OLED panel. Having said that, LG have slowly improved their OLED panels over the last decade. To match their best performance with the first generation of QD-OLEDs suggests there may be more to come from this technology.

jshickmott

May 21, 2022
Visit site
I want to upgrade to the A95K from my LG B9 - can anyone explain clearly why the G2 is recommended over the A95K for pc gaming? I don't play online competitive games - I've tried to find out if A95k has a pc mode. Does the A95K support 4:4:4 Chroma? I'm fine with two 2.1 hdmi ports as I bought an 2.1 hdmi switcher to go between my PS5 and PC. Hope all that makes sense - appreciate any advice!

Lollipop

May 21, 2022
Visit site
I want to upgrade to the A95K from my LG B9 - can anyone explain clearly why the G2 is recommended over the A95K for pc gaming? I don't play online competitive games - I've tried to find out if A95k has a pc mode. Does the A95K support 4:4:4 Chroma? I'm fine with two 2.1 hdmi ports as I bought an 2.1 hdmi switcher to go between my PS5 and PC. Hope all that makes sense - appreciate any advice!

From my knowledge , the main reasons y the A95K is behind on gaming features
- No freesync or g sync , just forum vrr . So you Won’t be getting the best out off vrr on a top gaming pc

- No software solution for vrr flicker (this happens in all TVs but is more noticeable on OLEDs .Lg and now Panasonic seem to have software level remedies - debatable how effective they are but at least there’s something .

- No HGIG so there can be clipping of detail . HDTVTEST has a good explanation on y Sony TVs auto hdr for ps5 feature isn’t ideal .

- as far as chroma subsampling not sure anyone knows yet . Best to find out if the S95B and AlienwareQD OLED do 444 , which if I remember properly they do . 444 won’t affect you on the ps5 and even on the pc , you’re only going to know it on coloured texts on coloured backgrounds .

The A95K seems to be lagging a bit behind on gaming features but most reviews just assume sony has all the features . One of the reasons y I’m struggling to pick between the A95K and pansonic LZ2000. Hope this helps

Reactions: jshickmott

Lollipop

May 21, 2022
Visit site
Thanks for your advice - much appreciated. Still tempted - its a shame the S95B doesn't support DV for blu rays :)

yep Samsung’s lack of DV, build quality and just general ways of doing things have put me off . I had a Samsung plasma back in the day and was very happy with it . Never imagined being staunchly against going Samsung (more power to those who like their TVs , just not what I look for ). Still between the pansonic and Sony , though the G2 looks impressive and is catching my intrigue the more I hear of it

ron.hoare

Nov 13, 2021
Visit site
Excellent news for you and long may it continue.

Mine worked well at 5,000 hours, just 18 months as a big TV viewer.

7k to 7.5k hours it all started to fail.

Good news for me I have been offered a full 100% refund. Looking to find a TV that may last 5 years +.

Reactions: Freddy

trevorrg22

Sep 13, 2022
Visit site
I bought my XR-55A95K from John Lewis. What disappoints me, being a bit of a gadget freak, is that the Gesture control feature doesn't actually work, hasn't worked since there was an Android update, apparently (before I took delivery of my TV) , and Sony can give no indication when it will be fixed.

I've been pushing John Lewis to take reference to that from the product details.

update: now heard from John Lewis that they are going to contact their marketing team to get a note added to the 'description' that, apparently (Sony have advised) the Gesture control will be available in a later release of software, no ETA given.

**Update**
John Lewis have agreed that their website should have included a note that gesture control is not yet available and I offered me option to return TV for refund so that's what I'm doing. Based on the fact that Sony tech support never once pointed out that gesture control would be available in a later release of software (when I raised the case with them 3 days after I bought the TV) and said , in a 'template' response their engineers are aware of an issue in the market and are working to resolve it, I decided I don't like Sony and wouldn't want to have to deal with them if another issue occured. They also blame any app issues on 3rd party software which is 'beyond their control'

Last edited:

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts