Sony WH-1000XM5

ixon76

May 13, 2022
Visit site
Give these a few months & they probably drop to under £300.
Sony Headphones always seem to be on sale, the XM4 where going as low as £209 few days ago, my XM3 have seen better days so will pick up the XM5 once they at a more reasonable price.

sudden

May 21, 2022
Visit site
Sony has revamped its top-of-the-range wireless headphones – but do they still set the bar at this price?

Sony WH-1000XM5 : Read more

I have been comparing the Bowers & Wilkings PX7 with the new Sony WH-1000XM5 and the PX7 is still better, both the sound quality, noice cancelling, build quality and ease of use. The Sony sound is clear yes, but quite tinny in comparison, quite bland. I am starting to think that Sony headphone fanboys are a bit like Apple computer fanboys. I love my new Sony 65" TV, but I will not trade my PX7's with the Sony WH-1000XM5, no chance. I will wait for the PX7 II (or what the name will be). The PX7 sounds better overall both wired and wireless (tried with 96khz FLAC 24 bit music files). Of course it's a matter of personal taste, but I was really hoping the Sony's would blow me away and make me want to keep them and get rid of the PX7, but unforunately not. The build quality and materials feels cheap compared to the PX7. In summary, the Sony may be nice for people that are outside a lot, if they really are better for noise cancelling outside (which I will not be testing if that is true as I only listen to headphones at home as I work from home) but not for the best audio HiFi listening experience. What I found especially weird was that there is more noise when you turn off noice cancellation on the Sony without any music on, compared to having the headphones powered off. I.e. there is less bakground noise with the headphones powered down, than when headphones turned on and noise canceling off (listening from inside my office with window open to noisy neighbour kids). Is that normal by the way?

Last edited:
Reactions: PiotrS

PiotrS

May 27, 2022
Visit site
380£? For new design? Lol they will pump thousands of $ in marketing now and you will only see positive review on the Internet. This is how it goes... Same story again

PiotrS

May 27, 2022
Visit site
I have the xm3's. Are the xm5's a worthwhile upgrade? Is the improvement over what I already have worth £380?
No dont upgrade, for this price you can find second hand hifiman Ananda BT if you happy with open back which are in terms of sound quality 3 times better. Haven't tried yet SENNHEISER Momentum 4 but heard good things about them.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts