Sony WF-1000XM3

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
These earbuds do sound great. Unfortunately I found they suffered from bad Bluetooth connectivity, particularly in crowded places where lots of other people are using Bluetooth devices (e.g. Victoria station at rush hour). There is constant stuttering and break up of the connection. I’ve now tried two sets of these and both have the same problem, which makes them pretty much unusable for commuting. I‘ve taken both back for refunds and now use Apple AirPods pro which don’t suffer from this problem at all.

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
WHF review - 5 stars. Amazon reviews - 3 and a bit. Do these magazine reviewers actually leave their listening room to test this type of device properly i.e where it is supposedly designed to be used?

zaisaipai

Mar 10, 2020
WHF review - 5 stars. Amazon reviews - 3 and a bit. Do these magazine reviewers actually leave their listening room to test this type of device properly i.e where it is supposedly designed to be used?
If you look in detail - many of the ratings on amazon are not relevant anymore.
With recent firware updates the experience has much improved. And YES, after last upgrade you can even use the earbuds as handsfree for phone calls :)

simonali

Aug 8, 2006
But what you're essentially saying is that the buying public were used as beta testers for a product that didn't work as it should and the manufacturer has had to roll out updates based on that public testing. I don't think that's good enough!

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
There is a setting in the app - connection stability vs sound quality. Did you try the connection stability preference in a crowded place?
Yes I did but no difference. In any event why should I be forced to compromise on sound quality because these earbuds can’t maintain a stable connection. Others (e.g. AirPods pro) don’t seem to have ‘this problem.

msboon

Apr 7, 2013
If you look in detail - many of the ratings on amazon are not relevant anymore.
With recent firware updates the experience has much improved. And YES, after last upgrade you can even use the earbuds as handsfree for phone calls :)
Well the experience certainly didn’t improve for me. In fact I first noticed the unstable connection problem after the most recent firmware update.

Faastwalker

Mar 27, 2020
These earbuds do sound great. Unfortunately I found they suffered from bad Bluetooth connectivity, particularly in crowded places where lots of other people are using Bluetooth devices (e.g. Victoria station at rush hour). There is constant stuttering and break up of the connection. I’ve now tried two sets of these and both have the same problem, which makes them pretty much unusable for commuting. I‘ve taken both back for refunds and now use Apple AirPods pro which don’t suffer from this problem at all.
I've just bought a pair of these direct from the Sony (Aus) shop. Wholly unimpressed. They do sound great, if you drive them into your ears deep enough. Tried all the buds & only one size actually held them in place sufficiently for a decent sound.

I'm also getting sound drop-outs & popping. It's really bad. I'm not sure if they are faulty? Have spent hours fiddling around with App settings, trying in different locations etc. They seem to work best if I'm sitting. On the move they are terrible. Sounds like I'm jogging with an old CD Walkman!!

I'm also not impressed with the noise cancelling. Seeing as I have them driven so far down my ear canal it's probably dangerous (not to mention uncomfortable) I would have thought it should work fairly well. But it doesn't seem much good at all. Again, when sitting at home it's noticeable. Out and about I'm not even sure if it's on or not. I keep checking the App - Ambient noise reduced to zero ........ so how comes I can hear everything with my music playing?!

I've contacted Sony support. But I think I'm going to be asking for a refund. These have put me off wireless headphones. First pair I've bought. Thinking of just going back to wired. This is just not good enough for such an expensive pair of headphones. I'm just stunned What Hi-Fi rated them so highly! :-/

Last edited:

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts