Sony STRDH800 & Acoustic Energy Neo 3 Floorstanding Speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi guys

Im looking at a hifi setup which I can progress into surround sound (when I can afford more speakers!)

This is what I've found (and best price). Its at a stretch so definatly couldn't afford anymore, but just wanted to know what your thoughts were on what I've found??? Could anyone suggest better or another way around?

SONY STRDH800 http://www.froogle.richersounds.com/product/av-receivers/sony/strdh800/sony-strdh800 £229.95

Acoustic Energy Neo 3 Floorstanding Speakers http://audioaffair.co.uk/index.php?act=viewProd&productId=708&md=8318496d9523a8cc87572a9b73235c42 £237.95

I have a PS3 for games, dvds and blu-ray. Sky box (not HD). Wii. A Thorens turntable. I intend to pick up secondhand cd deck and tuner. I have an ipod.

Im keen on the amp because it supports HD audio, but will an amp of this sort mean my music will suffer? I like the speakers after hearing them demo but am open to suggestions :D

Thanks in advance.

Si

A

Anonymous

Hello there,

If it Were me I would get the neo speakers which are very good and instead of going for the (Sony av amp which is not bad at all), I would go for a dedicated hi fi intergrated amplifier( i.e. the new marantz 6003) or similar with fixed line in. The reason being is that It will give you much better Hi-fi sound .

Then at a later date when you have saved, purchase an AV amp with Pre-outs.. This will allow you to connect to the intergrated amplifier and use the front speakers as part of your setup. Then get the rest of the speakers and connect them to the AV amp...

The reason being is that this will then give you the best of both worlds, good Hifi sound quality and surround sound capability.

Clear as mud...hope this helps

D

A

Anonymous

I hope the pervious messge wasn't to confusing.......someone else might explain it better......

The reason that I suggested the previous was that you would have to spend in my opinion a considerable amount on an AV amp capable of delivering hi fi quality sound .....I am sure the rest of the forum would have some idea of the cost's involved.

It all depends on your idea of sound quality........my friend has the DENON AVR1910 £400 av amplifier....and the sound quality for music is not bad at all........However it's not my idea of Hi fidelity.....

any way good luck

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Fully agree with you there 'brittondave'
emotion-1.gif

I think going for a decent stereo integrated amp before going for an AV amp would be a better path.

The Marantz would be a good amp to aim for but so would the Rotel RA-04, NAD C326BEE or the Audiolab 8000.

As brittondave said; the above will allow you a better, more 'hi-fi' orientated system before you go down the AV/surround-sound route.

The AE Neo 3 speakers are superb and will fit well into any low/midrange hifi system and will integrate well into an AV system as well.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for all your responses. It gives me a lot to think about!
Do any of these amps have optical inputs? The reason I ask is because the only audio output on my playstation is either optical out or hdmi. I have a 32" Samsung lcd tv but the audio out has a very slight delay. So, for my dvds and bluray audio I need to be able to run from my playstation or else the tv itself is my sound setup (which just isn't good enough for those lovely blu rays!).
I guess another reason I am keen to go with a receiver is because I don't see myself having the spare cash to move onto a receiver for a few years - I just dont earn enough! I take on board your advise though about dedicated stereo integrated amp but would still be interested to know how people have found receivers to perform with music.
Or, if I do consider a stereo amp and then to move to a receiver, could anyone recommend anything cheaper than what has been already suggested? Perhaps around the £150 - £200 mark.
Thanks again everyone. I realise my posts only ask the questions but perhaps I can give you all some feedback on whatever I go for... when I go for it!!
Si

A

Anonymous

Hi Si,

You were correct to notice that most intergrated amps don't have optical imputs......so where does that leave you.?.

Ok I see your dilema,......well I use that exact Sony for my dedicated Av amp. It performs very well as a surround sound processor. Its Stereo music reproduction could be better but it certainly is not rubbish. I use I seperate dedicated amp for my music.

Looking at your budget I might suggest looking at some good qaulity budget Standmounts speakers instead of the Neo's.....

£100 will get you...

Tannoy Mercury F1 customs.

Roth Audio Oli 2's

Warfdale 9.1

I believe the new Q Acousitcs 2010's are very good as well and would make the good basis to a surround sysetem.

Doing this would give you by my calculations another approx £360 to go...

Then you could look for a very good second hand Av amp on Fleabay or on internet as discontinued products. that has preout's for future use and has all the relevant inputs you need.....I am sure a kind forum member could suggest some good older models with the features you need.

Then you can start saving for the rest of the speakers and the intergrated amp........I think I suggested before ...that you might find that the right av amp might give you the stereo repoduction you require ..... if not.....you will always have a later option to and the intergrated to improve things.

I will have a look for a suitable AV reciever for you....

D

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
I think 5.1 sound is not entirely necessary for enjoying movies. A decent stereo amp and speakers (with or wothout a sub) will i think provide such an improvement over your TV speakers that it should give lots of enjoyment for a long time, with the money saved over buying extra speakers and a second (AV) amp will easily buy a dedicated CDP for music and lots of popcorn/ films/ music.

p.s. have a look at the AVI website for their take on 5.1 v 2.1, it's interesting...

A

Anonymous

That would leave you with £47 to go in to savings towards your rear speakers......................and then you center.....etc

A

Anonymous

dave_k:

I think 5.1 sound is not entirely necessary for enjoying movies. A decent stereo amp and speakers (with or wothout a sub) will i think provide such an improvement over your TV speakers that it should give lots of enjoyment for a long time, with the money saved over buying extra speakers and a second (AV) amp will easily buy a dedicated CDP for music and lots of popcorn/ films/ music.

p.s. have a look at the AVI website for their take on 5.1 v 2.1, it's interesting...

It is interesting reading .....but opitcal and hdmi are features that Si requires and A stero amp will not give him all the inputs he requires.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
Beresford dac to connect TV and PS3 optical, then analogue outs into amp. Not sure if this will introduce any audio sync problems though.

Could a digital ipod dock too for better sound. No need probably to buy a dedicated cdp if PS3 is used to store music and fed though the dac.

A

Anonymous

dave_k:

Beresford dac to connect TV and PS3 optical, then analogue outs into amp. Not sure if this will introduce any audio sync problems though.

Could a digital ipod dock too for better sound. No need probably to buy a dedicated cdp if PS3 is used to store music and fed though the dac.

Isn't all this just complicating a simple matter........

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
brittondave:dave_k:

Depends what the OP really wants: good hifi with 2 channel only, or accept a lower quality of hifi with an AV amp but with the possibility of ultimately getting 5.1 or more set-up.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
si_marks:The reason I ask is because the only audio output on my playstation is either optical out or hdmi. I have a 32" Samsung lcd tv but the audio out has a very slight delay. So, for my dvds and bluray audio I need to be able to run from my playstation or else the tv itself is my sound setup (which just isn't good enough for those lovely blu rays!).

You can use the use the PS3's AV Multi Out socket and the supplied cable that came with the PS3 to connect this into a standard stereo integrated amp.

20080421062553195.jpg

(just ignore the yellow cable)

The video output and audio output are independent so you can still connect the PS3 to your TV via HDMI for picture and the AV Multi Out to your standard hi-fi for audio.

A

Anonymous

dave_k:brittondave:dave_k:

Depends what the OP really wants: good hifi with 2 channel only, or accept a lower quality of hifi with an AV amp but with the possibility of ultimately getting 5.1 or more set-up.

Yes it does ....and what I am suggesting would ultimatley give him both......... I guess its his decision wether he goes for the intergrated amp first or the Av amp.................

any way good luck to the op with his quest.........over and out....

D

A

Anonymous

Hello everyone.

Well just want to say thanks to you all for your help. I took your advice and went for an amp and ditched the surround receiver idea. I also used the suggestion of output for the ps3 audio and it worked - simple to setup too!!

I spent Saturday in Richersounds and walked out with a pair of KEF IQ5SEs for £300 (£350 less £50 for a hardly noticable bad finish on the vinyl near the cones - totally unaffecting the performance / sound!!) And, the new Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10. Really happy with it except I didnt demo the amp so can't help but doubt that I made the best choice! The guys in the shop had a lengthy discussion with me over the NAD 326BEE, the Marantz PM6003, the Cambridge Audio AZUR 550A and the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10 and decided this was best for my needs - "All are comparable but the cambridge audio will be a better allrounder..."

Has anyone tested/reviewed the Cambridge Audio Topaz SR10. How id dit perform? I can't find and reviews done by WHF magazine.....

Cheers!!!

A

Anonymous

Not sure if anyone saw my last post because it was on the second page.

Anyway, thought Id post this to bring it back to the top!

TRENDING THREADS