Sony STRDA2400 ES and Q Acoustics 1010i Speakers

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Is the above a good combo?

Sony is said to be a bit bright on occasions, but I assume the Q Acoustics are not? (I have replaced the fronts with Q Acoustics 1030i) Therefore, are they a good combo?

Any help would be great........

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks for reply....

I'm assuming the Sony will bring out more detail in movies and 2 channel playback compared with the Onkyo 606?

I also assume that my view on the Q Acoustics not being 'bright sounded' is a correct view?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Thanks for reply....

I'm assuming the Sony will bring out more detail in movies and 2 channel playback compared with the Onkyo 606?

I also assume that my view on the Q Acoustics not being 'bright sounded' is a correct view?

You will be impressed by the Sony.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Thanks Gerrardasnails....

I have a Sony BDP S350 and Marantz CD63 MK II KI player to connect to it, if I order one.

It's very tempting to see what new receivers appear in the next two months, though.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

I have a Sony BDP S350 and Marantz CD63 MK II KI player to connect to it, if I order one.

It's very tempting to see what new receivers appear in the next two months, though.

You can go on for ages waiting for the next great thing and sometimes, it's not worth it (the Onk 606 from what I've read is not a great deal, or any better than the 605 for instance).

I bought the 3400es after listening to the 2400 first. I only went for the 34 because it was the next level up and I could afford it. I was gobsmacked by the sound of HD audio for the first time with my set up. I then watched some dvds with normal DD and DTS soundtrack and was similarly impressed (although HD audio is a lot better).

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:

Could I enquire as to how much the 2400 is costing Pete? I have a mate at work looking for a relatively inexpensive receiver, and I think the 2400 could be just the ticket.

cram

Jan 13, 2009
Visit site
Pistol Pete1: I'm assuming the Sony will bring out more detail in movies and 2 channel playback compared with the Onkyo 606?

Do you already have a 606? If so I would say that this is a side ways move rather than an upgrade.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails - 3400 much different to the 2400 in terms of SQ?

Big Chris - seen a few in stock for around £440

Cram - Yes, I do and yes I realise that. But I don't really want to spend more than £450-£500 on a amp, but am looking to get the best possible amp for that money. This includes 2 channel playback as I use it alot for that.

My 606 will be seen on ebay shortly, no doubt!!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1:
Gerrardasnails - 3400 much different to the 2400 in terms of SQ?

Big Chris - seen a few in stock for around £440

Cram - Yes, I do and yes I realise that. But I don't really want to spend more than £450-£500 on a amp, but am looking to get the best possible amp for that money. This includes 2 channel playback as I use it alot for that.

My 606 will be seen on ebay shortly, no doubt!!

I've not seen a review on the 3400 and people claim that there is no difference in the innards of the two machines. However, I've listened to them! I would say that it's not a huge jump in class but it's a better product. I won't be upgrading for years!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Well the reviews on here for the 2400 and 5400 are very good, so imagine your's is well up there too!! (despite no reviews)

As I said, I want the best possible amp for under £500 (excluding Yamaha as not enough HDMI inputs and a horrible orange display!!), as I don't want to be upgrading for years again either.

The onkyo has loads of 'get up and go' with movies, but is quite annoying with stereo playback now. Even though I have changed the mains cable and put tacima mains block on it too. I would call it sluggish and lacking high end detail. The Sony, I think, excels in this?

And it sounds like the Q Acoustics may be ideal to tame to occasional brightness to the high frequencies.

TRENDING THREADS