Sony STRDA 2400es or Yamaha DSP-AX863

lcd4ever

Oct 23, 2008
Visit site
A confirmed Sony man I am looking to upgrade my trusty STR DB940 which has served me brilliantly for 9 years...

Naturally I looked to Sony first and was very impressed with the spec/reviews for the 2400, then I read WHFs review of the Yamaha and I am really confused now the Yam at £587 looks a real bargain...

I am using MS Mezzo 6 fronts with Mezzo 2 rears and Mezzo 5 centre Wharfedale 'Powercube' sub(for now will get the mezzo sub asap), I listen to cds via my receiver quite a lot so stereo imaging is every bit as important as multi-channel sound.....

As I say I really like Sony as a brand I have had nothing but success with every product I have so far invested in so to move to the Yam will take a lot of convincing.....

help...

Craig

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
If you're a confirmed Sony person you won't go wrong with the 2400ES: the magazine preference is clear, but IMO I rate both the Sony receiver and the Yamaha amp equally.

But bear in mind that both the Sony and Yamaha are in short supply, according to many on these forums, so you may have to hunt a bit. Oh, and the Yamaha is on the way out - yes, already - to be replaced by a new RX-V765 in the relatively near future.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I was told the new RX-V1065 (£800) was the replacement for the 863SE today, and that the RX V765 was the replacement for the 763.

If you study the spec, this information suggests that the above could well be true? (RX V1065 is very similar in spec to the 863SE)

I have a demo of the Yamaha DSP AX863SE tomorrow, but wondered how the Marantz SR5003 would fair against it?

Andrew, do you know, by any chance? (As no reviews of the marantz 5003 or 6003, i imagine you may not know?)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts