Sony STR DG820 - huge dissapointment - or faulty?

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Hello All,

Yesterday, my son bought a Sony STR DG820. After carefully connecting it all up, and testing it, we (both my sons and I) are extremely dissapointed with the sound as a whole.

There is something really odd going on with the bass - at first, we thought the speakers were wired out of phase, but after carefully checking all connections we found everything to be correct.

Switching it to stereo direct improves matters, but it still sounds weird. It reminds me of the "SRS" effect seen on some computers.

I have done a full reset on the receiver, restoring factory settings (again) and going through the entire setup routine to no avail.

Front speakers are Kef Coda 7's (old but still very good speakers) and Center is a Tangent Evo.

Rear speakers are JPW Mini Monitors.

Sources tried are DAB radio (using the DACs in the receiver), XBOX 360 via HDMI using both CD and MP3's and Cable TV via optical input. All give the same odd sound.

Now we realise we're not using a sub, and that the above mentioned speakers are not cutting edge latest models - however, all these have been used to great effect in various Hi-Fi / Surround systems.

We have tried various settings in the amp as well.

Does anybody have any suggestions, before we return this to the shop - as my son (and I) expected far more.... In fact, I have a Cambridge 540R MkII receiver and it beats this Sony hands down...

Apologies for the length of this post, and if you got this far, then thanks for reading.

Thanks,

Tony.

Tony_R

Oct 20, 2008
Visit site
Apologies for replying to my own post but...

We have made a discovery....

We were using Monster speaker cable (the twisted variety) and it would appear that the Sony has a dislike for this type of cable.

We tried some other speaker cable and we seem to have a normal sound now....

So it's all in the cable apparently....

This is the offending cable - it's known as Monster Ultra 600...

Tony.

A

Anonymous

So much for some people argument that speaker cables don't make a difference

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts