Sony STR DG 820 and Jamo A102HCS5 Compatibility

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I would like to confirm the Sony STR DG 820 and Jamo A102HCS5 Compatibility. I have doubts if this set will work properly:

- The Sony receiver has an 8 ohms output and can develope a maximum power of 110 w.

- The Jamo speakers have 6 ohms and a maximum power of 60W.

I have heard that this difference of technical specifications between amplifier and speakers can warm the amplifier at loud volumes (in my case is very difficult I can set the system to a high-power because a live on a flat). On the other hand WHF recommend the Sony with qacoustics q-av that have 6 ohms (but allows 100W power) too so I suppose Jamo-Sony setup will work properly.

Can anyone help me ? Am I right or i have to consider an other speakers ? Thank you very much for your advise.

A

Anonymous

Thanks a lot Andrew for your quick reply !
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Another recent post on this combination suggested that both the amp and the speakers have a reputation for sounding a little bright and to combine them would emphasise this characteristic. There's no technical reason why they shouldn't go together. http://whathifi.com/forums/t/194043.aspx

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
It's basically to stop you using two pairs of speakers with low impedance on the speaker A and speaker B terminals, which may cause some problems.

But if you're only using one pair of speakers, as the OP is, yes - ignore it.

A

Anonymous

You may want to consider a different amp though, along the likes of Yamaha, Denon or Onkyo. All of these are much smoother than the Sony and will not result in a relatively 'bright' sound, when paired with the Jamo.

That was my experience anyway.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Yamaha maybe and Denon certainly, but we'd never describe the Onkyo as having a smoother sound than the Sony. But again, that's opinion, and why auditioning is key.

A

Anonymous

Hello Clark, Have WHF team get an audiotioning of this set Sony-Jamo? Do you think is so briliant like others colegues in the forum said ?

Do you think the Denon 1909 could be a good option with the Jamo speakers or is better to change the speakers an consider only the Sony Str DG 820? My budget is 700 pounds.

Sorry if you think they are too many questions . Thanks for your wise advice

lobby

Jun 30, 2008
Visit site
If style compact speakers your after than the jamos will be fine with the Denon1909 or Yamaha Ax763se, or may be streching to the Kef 2005.3 or Tannoy Arena-lites. Depending on room size, a good bargain would be Tannoy F4 customs as fronts and f1 customs for rears and fc centre total cost £290 at Richer Sounds. Add the Denon 1909 amp and save for a decent sub.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
My opinion is, with home cinema, you should be spending more on speakers than your amp or BD / DVD player. I know in Hi-Fi you are generally advised to spend about equally on source / amplifier / speakers, but remember, in Hi-Fi you are buying 2 speakers. In home cinema, you are buying 6 including the subwoofer. So I would say with a £700 budget, spend about £250 - £300 on your amp and the rest on speakers.

Thus Sony STR-DG820 / Denon AVR-1909 + KEF or other speakers in that price range make more sense than £500 on an amp and £200 on speakers.

Just my opinion
emotion-1.gif

A

Anonymous

Thank you for your wise advise Forum ! Following your advice , I' ve been viewing posible setups with denon 1909 and a specialized shop has offer me this options:

Jamo A405HCS5

Tannoy HTS100

Tannoy HTS200

Mordant Shord Premier

What do you think of this options ?

In this shop nobody wanted to recomend me the Sony receiver . I really donït know because all the specialized sellers don't recomend me Sony...

A

Anonymous

Hello Andrew , I'm sorry if I said something that could bother you.

I think the thing borthered you could be that sellers (here in Spain) don`t recomend a product with whathifi five stars . Perhaps these sellers have to update their market knowledge or perhaps there is an economic component in their advise. If it isn't I'm sorry anyway.

I want to say I trust WHF team and I can confirm with my experience that your advise is highly useful: My Panasonic TH37PX80 is one of the best buy i've ever done. That's why I monthly buy your magazine (the spanish version) and thats why i'm in this forum. I recognise your labour is not easy because techonology has a part of uncertainty that is very dificult to manage, I know it because i work with technology (i'm a software engineer).

I would appreciate your advise about my 700 pounds budget (It could be a bit more). Can you recomend me a setup based on the sony str dg 820 or the denon 1909 considering that I will use the set up for both cinema and music ?. I'm very confuse with all the information I have collected.

Thanks again for your wise advise.

A

Anonymous

After lots of information and confusion, this is my final choice:

Denon Avr 1909 with JAMO A102, in the future I would consider the possibility of two front speakers to improve music auditioning, then I'll use the Jamos front speakers to build a 7.1 system, or using the bi-zone Denon's feature, I'll set the jamos with the new speakers or use them in other room of the house.

The additional functionality and a better balance with the speakers have been the key point to choose the Denon.

If you want to make any suggestions, I'll try to consider it because I will not go to buy the set until the weekend.

Thanks to all the people who have helped me, I wait I can help you in the future.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Just one thing I'd say about your planned upgrade in the future - ensure you budget to replace all three front speakers including the centre, otherwise there is a good chance you'll lose the balance across the front three and things will sound a bit odd. Quite often, speaker manufacturers will have a centre speaker designed to work with a pair of their stereo speakers so you should look out for this when you upgrade.

A

Anonymous

I'll consider your advise . Thank you very much ProfessorHat ! : )

TRENDING THREADS