Sony STR-DA2400ES with Tannoy Revolution Signatures?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
G'day,

I am on the verge of investing in a new system, as a new home requires a new AV environment :) (at least that's how I explained it to the mrs). Now, two questions:

1. The Sony STR-DA2400ES is a relative mid-class receiver, but as I don't have use for the multiroom functionality of its bigger brothers, it will work like a charm. The main question is: will it be enough to power a set of Tannoy Revolution Signatures? The speakers' specs say that it should be able to handle up to 175W input for the DC6'es?!? Does this mean that the Sony is a bit underpowered for the job?

2. What is the criteria for selecting either the Tannoy DC4 series or the DC6 series? (Except for budget of course) I have a decent sized living room (4m x 6m).

I am not an experienced AV buyer, so please be gentle :)

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jwolhuter:
G'day,

I am on the verge of investing in a new system, as a new home requires a new AV environment :) (at least that's how I explained it to the mrs). Now, two questions:

1. The Sony STR-DA2400ES is a relative mid-class receiver, but as I don't have use for the multiroom functionality of its bigger brothers, it will work like a charm. The main question is: will it be enough to power a set of Tannoy Revolution Signatures? The speakers' specs say that it should be able to handle up to 175W input for the DC6'es?!? Does this mean that the Sony is a bit underpowered for the job?

2. What is the criteria for selecting either the Tannoy DC4 series or the DC6 series? (Except for budget of course) I have a decent sized living room (4m x 6m).

I am not an experienced AV buyer, so please be gentle :)

It will be fine. Get ready for a great experience the first time you hear it! I have the 3400es which is very similar and the Monitor Audio RS6 AV (apart from the rears) which is similar stamp to the Tannoy set - immense sound.

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply about the power of the 2400, but why (or why not) should one choose for the DC4 Revolution Signatures or the DC6'es? Is there a difference in sound quality or is it only about dB's?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jwolhuter:Thanks for the reply about the power of the 2400, but why (or why not) should one choose for the DC4 Revolution Signatures or the DC6'es? Is there a difference in sound quality or is it only about dB's?

I'm not sure as I've not heard them both. However, it might be similar to the Monitor Audio RS6 and RS8 the 8 gives even more bass (the RS6 is certainly not bass shy) as it's a bigger unit. Some people like that others don't. Most people that I've spoken to or read on here prefer the RS6 to the RS8 even though the 8 is a more expensive speaker. You really need to listen to both to find the answer. If you have a smallish room, I would say that the smaller speaker might suffice but that's just a hunch.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The Tannoys will work just fine with the Sony, the power output should not be to much of a concern. I would consider another ampifier though as you will get far greater gains from the system.The Sony is no slouch and performs well at its price point but speakers at this quality point benefit from better electronics. Certainly a better amplifier with the 4's will sound better than the Sony with the 6's.

I would suggest you look to amplifiers at the £1000-£1500 mark to start to get the most from the Tannoys.

As for the 4's vs the 6's there is a lot more to the sound in the larger speakers. If you haev the space the 6 is worth it as the 4's sound slightly boxed in against them. Bass is better as you would expect but the whole sound gains weight and size. A quick audition will show you. If you opt for the 6's a better amp will really make them perform.

Nick

A

Anonymous

Think it will depend on your max budget and whether you want to get the last of any pre-global recession bargains or wait for the new crop of receivers due out in the coming months. I have been researching my recent purchase for some time and get the impression from most if not all sources that the higher shipping costs and build costs now mean that it will be harder to get the truly expensive kit for the heavily cut prices we've seen in the past. Only time will tell though I guess.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
sticking with Sony I would look at the STRDA6400 or as an alternative the Yamaha RXV3900 or DSP-Z7.The Pioneer SC-LX81 is a great match but they are all but gone - you could try the SC-LX71. All perform well with the Tannoy range - 4 or 6. At

A

Anonymous

How about the STR-DA5400ES? It costs quite a bit less than the 6400, but is it also good enough for the Tannoy's? And also, why is it that there are so many recommendations for Pioneer and Yamaha receivers in the higher end? Are they so much better / warmer / purer in sound?

One more question: Is it OK to assume as a rule of thumb that receiver = speakers in terms of price (more or less)? Is that an accurate assumption?

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jwolhuter:
How about the STR-DA5400ES? It costs quite a bit less than the 6400, but is it also good enough for the Tannoy's? And also, why is it that there are so many recommendations for Pioneer and Yamaha receivers in the higher end? Are they so much better / warmer / purer in sound?

One more question: Is it OK to assume as a rule of thumb that receiver = speakers in terms of price (more or less)? Is that an accurate assumption?

The 5400es would be fantastic. The newer (the 5400 only came out last year!) 6400 has more network options but the 54 won plenty of awards at the top end of the one box market.

A

Anonymous

G'day gents,

I've thought about this some more. Something still isn't clear to me. Is it so then that the ES series of Sony is different in terms of quality from the 2400 to 6400 models? It's not only about more features? I mean, the 2400 can only manage 1 room whereas the 5400 can manage 3. Isn't that the reason for the difference in price? Shouldn't the 5400 then basically have 3-amps-in-1 vs the single room circuitry of the 2400?

Just curious . . .
emotion-5.gif

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
jwolhuter:
G'day gents,

I've thought about this some more. Something still isn't clear to me. Is it so then that the ES series of Sony is different in terms of quality from the 2400 to 6400 models? It's not only about more features? I mean, the 2400 can only manage 1 room whereas the 5400 can manage 3. Isn't that the reason for the difference in price? Shouldn't the 5400 then basically have 3-amps-in-1 vs the single room circuitry of the 2400?

Just curious . . .
emotion-5.gif

No, there is much more to it than that.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:jwolhuter:

G'day gents,

Just curious . . .
emotion-5.gif

No, there is much more to it than that.

The 5400 is finished now and has been replaced by the 6400. There may still be some in the market but on the assumption you are looking to buy in the coming weeks it is probably better to recommend an amp you can actually buy.

The higher end amplifiers are normally superior in all aspects of performance and not just on specification. Sound is generally cleaner, more detailed and more precisely palced in the soundfield. Bass is more often than not deeper and more controlled and treble accurate rather than harsh. Difference in power on paper may appear slight but with bigger power supplies the larger amplifers can run more channels at higher volumes ( or under greater strain ) than entry level models and with less distortion.

I can safely say that the sound produced by the 6400 is far more engaging , balanced and generally more pleasant than the 2400. That is not to say the 2400 is a bad performer it is just not in the same league.

Nick

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts