Sony S370 - no sound initially

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hello everyone. I have the S370 hooked up to my denon 1910 and pana plasma. I have adjusted settings correctly in the Sony menus and get hd sound. However, while there is sound during the menu screens as soon as the blue light on the amp turns on to indicate hd sound, there is no sound through the speakers. The only way to get sound is by turning the amp on and off a few times, and the tele also while the movie is playing. I then have to skip back to the beginning! Very annoying! Anyone else got this issue or any suggestions? Firmware is up to date. Thanks peeps.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Although it is a different sound problem, I have recently bought the S370 and have a thread on here explaining my problem.

Please see 'Sony BDP S370 sound problem.......'

It's starting to look like various sound problems with these players, both of which are connected to 2009 Denon receivers (maybe coincidence?)

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
Pistol Pete,

Sony products seem to be temperamental when working with each other, for some strange reason, and yet unexplained.

I cannot see how it is incompatible with your Denon receiver. This must really be frustrating for you, as I can imagine!

Ronald

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Ronald,

Don't think my problem is half as frustrating as giggsy's......

As long as I don't pause, fast forward, rewind or skip function whilst watching a DTS HD Master recording, it works perfectly well (so far!)

On the other hand, Giggsy's problem sounds very 'hit and miss'....

Ronald Archiebald

Jun 24, 2010
Visit site
PistolPete1,

Yes, both very peculiar issues indeed. I do hope Support Services will either resolve the issue or replace these units, if deemed faulty.

Best of luck to you both.

Ronald

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hello Ronald and pistolpete. Ronald, my denon is set to auto decode and I have set the connection as hdmi rather than auto as my Foxsat is also connected that way, (no optical connections at all). Playing a dvd or cd there is no problem, sound is output as stereo or dolby digital. The dark knight starts off as dolby digital but as soon as i press the audio button on the Sony remote to change to true hd, the sound goes off. This is the 2nd unit I have had, first one was noisy and wouldn't play some dvd's. Apart from this niggle, which I can get round by various switching on and off, it's a great player. Sound and picture are fantastic!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Giggsy1977.......

Do me a favour.......bypass your denon receiver and connect your player directly to your tv. I put money on it that solves the problems you are encountering.....

Reason I'm saying that is that I have done the same, and my player works fine on the DTS HD master setting if the Denon is not being used....

This is heading towards a compatibilty issue between Sony and Denon........

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Pistolpete - I usually have sound in the setup menus, it's only when the player changes to an HD soundtrack.

The amp picks up this change and I get the blue light on the front of the Denon to indicate a HD soundtrack, but it's at this point that the sound disappears. I have to either turn the amp of and back on again while the movie is still playing, and sometimes the tele also. Drives me a little batty to be honest!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
I know all this, giggsy, but don't you want to find out why it's doing this?

If you connect the player directly to your tv and bypass the denon receiver, you can check to see if the problem continues. If it continues, then my theory is wrong and the player might be faulty, but if it stops, then we have a possible compatibility issue between the Denon and Sony.

Set the player up to send HD soundtrack to your tv (yes I know your tv can't decode it, but it will still work), and see if you lose the sound when the movie starts........

I reckon you won't, as my theory is that the Sony and Denon receivers have a compatibility problem that occurs with HD sound only, thus when your on the menu section, it's fine.....

Also check to see if it's only DTS HD master or whether it's soundtracks recorded with True HD too?

Let me know what you find...

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
giggsy,

Read post number 9 on this page.......looks very similar to your problem but with a Denon 2310....then read post number 15 from same guy for the solution.....

EDITED BY MODS - House Rules

Hope that helps...wondering if I need to update Denon firmware too.......hint, hint

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Hello pistolpete. Shall try the suggestion you make regarding connecting directly to the tele. Shall also read the posts you refer to when I get the chance. Thanks for your input. Shall report back when I have tried all suggestions. Just enjoying Sherlock at the mo!

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete1 - I connected the Sony straight to my tele and got sound in all formats. True hd was a fair bit quieter than regular dolby digital, but it was clear to hear! You hunch about the denon and compatibility seems to be correct. I just need to work out how to update the firmware now as I see from your other posts that seems to be the way forward. Looking forward to a resolution! Well worked out there fella!

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Hopefully this is good news, and a firmware update will solve both our problems.

I suggest having a chat with the shop you bought the AVR1910 from. Mine is local (10 mins walk from my home) and they have kindly offered to do the update for me, cos if it goes wrong you could end up with a dead machine, according to the shop.

If you mail ordered it (although Denon policy is no mail order on their products), then I would contact the shop and see what they will do for you.

If your shop isn't local, might be an idea to find your local authorised Denon dealer and ask how much they will charge to do the update for you......

Lastly if you want to attempt to do it yourself, go to the link below and follow the instructions on the pdf document....

http://firmware.denon-online.eu/

Let me know how you get on.....

giggsy1977

Jul 27, 2007
Visit site
Pistol Pete - purchased mine from (not sure if allowed to say retailers names) RS in Manchester so shall get in touch with them and see if they offer to update firmware on the AVR 1910. I did ask them about updating firmware on the Sony 370 as my Internet was down at the time, but they didn't offer then! Managed to download and copy to a cd in the end. Worked very well.

Shall call them and try and arrange for the update. Shall let you know. Thanks for your input so far fella - much appreciated!

A

Anonymous

hey All,

Yep - i had this exact issue with my denon 1910.

I phoned Denon support direct they gave me a Support Code

Here's the phone number: 02890 279830 (Main Line)

i then took my amp to the retailer along with the code.

They sent it off and i got it back in about 10 days with the firmware upgrade.

It's been working perfectly ever since.

One thing to note : the uggrade clears the amp settings- so take a note of your settings before you send it off

Hope this helps....

A

Anonymous

Or heres the link to the Denon website - where you can get the number or other contact details:

http://www.denon.co.uk/site/frames_main.php?main=kont&MID=5&ver=1

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Not sure RS will have a tech side to be able to do the update...I've been to many of their banches, and not seen a tech department in any.

Always worth a call though, or find a local authorised dealer whom has a tech department to do it for you....

I have read about others whom have done the update by themselves, but I'd hate to lose the machine during it.....

The sony is an easy updating system via an ethernet cable into the back and press Network update on the home screen....unfortunately the Denon receivers are more complicated as they need a PC and RS232 cable to do it....

When you do update it, don't forget to write out all your current settings, as they will be lost in the process....

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Newton Heath:

hey All,

Yep - i had this exact issue with my denon 1910.

I phoned Denon support direct they gave me a Support Code

Here's the phone number: 02890 279830 (Main Line)

i then took my amp to the retailer along with the code.

They sent it off and i got it back in about 10 days with the firmware upgrade.

It's been working perfectly ever since.

One thing to note : the uggrade clears the amp settings- so take a note of your settings before you send it off

Hope this helps....

Perfect....bet that's how RS deals with this....

GuessI'm just lucky that my local dealer has a tech department onsite, and will do it in a few days, rather than sending it away for over a week....

A

Anonymous

Yep

also - i live in belfast - so whilst the Denon support dept is in belfast - i think the amp was sent over to England for the upgrade.

So if you're in England you'll probably get it back a lot quicker than i did - probably closer to a week i'd guess ....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts