Sony NW-A55L

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It would be nice if you completed the review with how easy/intuitive it is to copy songs and art work to the player.
The N45 was a nightmare with album art and whilst this might not be the most important feature you would not expect issues.

paverity

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
"Sony improves last year’s Award-winning budget Walkman"???
Today's article seems identical to last year's and describes no specific improvements ; lacking clarity, to say the least!!

Last edited:
Reactions: Navanski

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
"Sony improves last year’s Award-winning budget Walkman"???
Today's article seems identical to last year's and describes no specific improvements ; messy to say the least!!
Sony has further improved last year’s Award-winning budget Walkman, so could it be in line for another prize?

Sony NW-A55L : Read more
I'm not sure who reviewed this item, if it was reviewed, but to put
AGAINST
  • MicroSD card required
worries me. I'm trying to think of any DAPs that don't require an microSD card. Disconcerting to say the least.

MrWalkman

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It would be nice if you completed the review with how easy/intuitive it is to copy songs and art work to the player.
The N45 was a nightmare with album art and whilst this might not be the most important feature you would not expect issues.

By the way, there is a firmware mod available for A45, and it now supports all types of JPEG and PNG images, so no more headache.

It also brings the Bluetooth receiver function, and an improved sound signature, the mod being based on the ZX300 firmware.

It's available on the Head-Fi forum, and the album cover fix will also be done for the A55 firmware.

Mooey

Sep 8, 2020
Visit site
It's still a nightmare. I've lived with the player for a few months. The sound is fantastic but the Sony software is terrible. An the player would constantly stop recognising the 500gb memory card when transferring music. Took me forever to upload 300gb to the player. The ui is far too basic.

Reactions: Navanski

Echelon5

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
Hey chaps. First comment on here be gentle lol.

I read the review and thought it lacked an in depth feel for the device. I own the NW-A55L. Which is the locked down European version. Which means no FM radio and volume is locked down low.......

.........sssooooooo I unlocked it and it made my audio tastebuds tingle. I give full credit to the TechMoan channel for getting me setup. It took 5 seconds to unlock and it was a full depth thunderous experience. I love this thing. So much more clarity.
FM radio now works too. All you have to do is change the region and boom. I use the WF-1000-XM3's with this thing and they are fuller more crisp and feel so amazing.
I just can't wait to get hold of a cheap 2TB microSDXC card, so I can record my tracks to full uncompressed studio quality. My 128GB for £17 from amazon did the trick though hehe.
Cheapy microSDXC card I used :)

TechMoan has a better review of this mini Walkman and how to unlock it.
Channel: https://www.youtube.com/c/Techmoan
Review:
View: https://youtu.be/Rwal4qYWgK8

Region Hack:
View: https://youtu.be/7VPaXdQoKXs

Not any way affiliated with this chap. Just a good reviewer on what this can do.

This is my goto music player from now on, over my NOTE 10 Plus 5G. :)

Echelon5

Dec 2, 2020
Visit site
I did yes. Perfect little thing. It was detected as a virus lol so had to disable AV LOL
but it did the job. You can increase the volume output and enable the FM radio. All its doing is changing the region :)

MrWalkman

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
I did yes. Perfect little thing. It was detected as a virus lol so had to disable AV LOL
but it did the job. You can increase the volume output and enable the FM radio. All its doing is changing the region :)

Fernlea

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
Can anyone help? Couple of months back I bought the NW A55L, was a little disappointed it didn’t come with earphones so I bought Anker Soundcore Life P2 ear buds. Paired with the Walkman straightaway. Few days later tried to use them again - nothing! Tried to pair again and after 3 or 4 attempts they paired fine. (Do you have to re pair every time you turn on?) Came to use the device a couple of weeks later, nothing again, I’ve tried to pair 20 or30 times - no joy.
I bought an Anker Soundcore Mini speaker to use with the Walkman, the Walkman doesn’t want to know at all - just nothing. Could there be a Bluetooth fault with the NW A55 as both Anker products work fine with my Samsung fone ?

Navanski

Sep 7, 2020
Visit site
It could be a fault with the NW A55. Before you attempt to get a refund/replacement, it's probably worth having one more go at pairing.
Prior to this attempt make sure that any devices that have previously been paired with the Anker earbuds are switched off. The earbuds will likely only pair with one device and if the Samsung phone, for example, pairs quicker this would explain why the NW A55 fails. I think it's unlikely but not impossible that the PMP is faulty if, as you say, it worked initially.

Fernlea

Jun 19, 2021
Visit site
Navanski. Thanks for your reply. Switched everything off, cleared the ear buds and tried again - zilch! Looks like back to PC World. Thanks anyway.

iamagro

Aug 14, 2021
Visit site
There's an error in the review, "WAVs are supported all the way up, while FLACs top out at 24-bit/96kHz " it's wrong, it supports even 24-bit 384kHz FLACs.
Immagine 2021-08-14 113659.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts