Sony KDL-46Z4500 vs. Sony KDL-46X4500 for gaming?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
I believe the Z model has pretty bad lag (response time between the tv receiving a signal and actually displaying it onscreen) so I couldnt recommend that one. Unfortunately I dont know anything about the X model as yet so I cant recommend that either

matthewpiano

Both discontinued models now. Should be pretty cheap if you can still find stock.

I'd expect the dynamic RGB LED back-light on the X4500 to be an advantage for gaming but I have no experience of playing games on either set.

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
Hi matthew why are you not working at the sony centre anymore?,i nearly spat my coffee out,and silentone,i would go with the 46x4500 its a stunning tv.And you can pick one up cheap now,we had 4 left and sold 3 at £1149.99 after trade in with a free 5 year warrenty.The z5810 or 5500 is a great tv but has been proven that its not the best for gaming.As we had a good customer of ours test one instore..it seemed to display a slight pink tinge on screen.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre:Hi matthew why are you not working at the sony centre anymore?,i nearly spat my coffee out,and silentone,i would go with the 46x4500 its a stunning tv.And you can pick one up cheap now,we had 4 left and sold 3 at £1149.99 after trade in with a free 5 year warrenty.The z5810 or 5500 is a great tv but has been proven that its not the best for gaming.As we had a good customer of ours test one instore..it seemed to display a slight pink tinge on screen.

Have you got LAG statistics for both tvs?

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
sonycentre:I dont have them to hand alienrik,but i could find out for you when im at work tomorrow,or you could google it for a faster responce.

Id be interested to see what your works have. Measuring actual LAG is difficult at the best of times.

Figures posted by manufacturers (Not that they ever post LAG anyways) tend to be a little bit out too (Not having a go at Sony there, thats ALL manufacturers). Pixel response times for example, ive seen an experiment that showed response times to be into approx 65ms when it should have been approx 8ms. I take all tv specs with a pinch of salt these days

A

Anonymous

good luck with the new job mathew , i have to say you done sony proud on this forum
emotion-21.gif

A

Anonymous

I think this just highlights the needs for more test to include a gaming test as well as blu-ray, DVD and freeview/satellite tests on TV's. With more and more people buying top end TVs for gaming, it's very frustrating that very few tests seem to overlook this.

bigblue235

Aug 22, 2007
Visit site
aliEnRIK: I believe the Z model has pretty bad lag (response time between the tv receiving a signal and actually displaying it onscreen) so I couldnt recommend that one. Unfortunately I dont know anything about the X model as yet so I cant recommend that either

Wasn't it the newer version of the Z series that was supposedly poor for input lag? A TV review site commended the 40Z4500 for its low input lag figures.

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
bigblue235:
aliEnRIK: I believe the Z model has pretty bad lag (response time between the tv receiving a signal and actually displaying it onscreen) so I couldnt recommend that one. Unfortunately I dont know anything about the X model as yet so I cant recommend that either

Wasn't it the newer version of the Z series that was supposedly poor for input lag? A TV review site commended the 40Z4500 for its low input lag figures.

I'll be honest, I was thinking about the 5500 when I wrote that. Not got time now but ill see what I can find on the 4500 (Or maybe Mr Sony will............)

aliEnRIK

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Update ~

Z4500 ~ 0-10ms lag which (if the measurements are correct) is the best LAG figure ive ever seen on an LCD (Why the 5500 went completely the other way is anyones guess)

A

Anonymous

Hi everyone. Just thought I would post something regarding my Sony KDL - 46X4500, if someone is contemplating to buy this tv, or any Sony tv for instance.

I had my tv for over 2,5 years. It's has been a great tv for viewing movies and playing games. I bought it for it's advanced multi-coloured LED dimming features at that time to get a great picture quality.

But few months ago, I have noticed few horizontal lines on the left side of the screen and towards the right side from the middle of the screen. Over the next following weeks these lines have spread in clusters evenly from the top to bottom screen. So let's say you divide the screen into 4 vertical sections, the sections affectec were 1 and 3. At that point I tried to contact Sony, angry at the idea that after 2,5 years, this happens to a tv which I paid almost 3000 pounds for at that time. They simply checked my elligibility for warranty for my set and said that I only had 1 year warranty and they passed my details to some certified repair shop. After I spoke to them and described the problem, they said that the fault is probably with the whole screen and the replacement including work and picking the tv up and back would be almost 1200 pounds, so they just said it's best if I buy a new tv. Also when I searched the internet for other owners with the same problem, there weren't only a few people with the same problem, if I put it mildly.

I was very disappointed with that and just said to myself I will survive for a few months and after X-mas I will buy a new tv. Another few weeks have past and now when you watch the tv all the pixels seem to flash with red color more which gives everything red glow, and when there are some bright spots on the screen whatever you watching, like the clear bright sky, or light reflection from somebody's face, it gives it red painting-like features and read cloudy smudges.

I have been contemplating to buy some other tvs than Sony, but then went back to them and was thinking to buy the new Sony 46HX923. After reading the forums, it is no better than Samsung's D8000 series and it seems like there isn't any good premium LCD tv from any company without some kind of hidden faults.

So my advice is, whatever tv you are thinking of buying, make sure to do a lot of research on it, and make sure it has at least 5 year warranty so if anything happens to the tv few years after you buy it you don't end up like me.

A

Anonymous

I thought I would post some pictures on here of my tv at the moment, before I put it in the scrap yard. i am not sure how to insert the picture on here other than to drag and insert it in here, but let's see if that works once I post it.

/Users/pavel_vit/Desktop/DSC05163 copy.JPG

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts