Sony KDL 40EX603 and Sony 40HX703

A

Anonymous

I've seen the reviews for the g20 and 503.. its the 603 and 703 I'm interested in now.

matthewpiano

APatel8:
I've seen the reviews for the g20 and 503.. its the 603 and 703 I'm interested in now.

The EX603 is essentially an LED edge-lit version of the EX403 (so no 100Hz), and the EX703 is essentially an LED edge-lit version of the EX503. In both cases the conventional CCFL backlit version is the better TV.

The HX703 is a different proposition. Better LCD panel, and 200Hz Motionflow. It uses conventional CCFL backlighting and the increase in black levels from all the sets below it is easy to see.

ear

Aug 24, 2008
Visit site
read somewhere that the 100 hz on the ex500 is a little blurry sometimes? no mention about this on the W5500 series

A

Anonymous

as you say matt that you work for sony and the ccfl is better than their new edge lit, are you saying then (as i am wanting to buy a 46" tv) buy the 46 hx703 for £1500 rather than the £1600 hx803 being released soon. ignoring the fact the 803 will be 3d ready, picture wise the ccfl is proving better then the edge lit ???

matthewpiano

brettweir:as you say matt that you work for sony and the ccfl is better than their new edge lit, are you saying then (as i am wanting to buy a 46" tv) buy the 46 hx703 for £1500 rather than the £1600 hx803 being released soon. ignoring the fact the 803 will be 3d ready, picture wise the ccfl is proving better then the edge lit ???

Yep. That is exactly what I am saying.

As always, though, you should proabably wait until you can see both side by side and decide with your own eyes.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
I agree, we have an HX703 right beside an EX603 and the HX is producing a better picture by far. The CCFL panels are very strong this year, even the 55EX503 we have is putting up a very good fight against the Panasonic 50G20.

A

Anonymous

Going to go for the HX703. Seems to be very reasonably priced for what's on offer and the sony centre are offering a good deal with the scrapage exchange also. I compared the picture to the EX503 and there was a big difference. Having also looked at the Panny G20 I wasn't very impressed.

A

Anonymous

Hi guys, I went for the Sony KDL 40EX603 going on this year's EX rave reviews and the slim size of the TV, width 95.2 cm... unfortunately the TV is rubbish...

Pixellation everywhere on SD & HD all fed via HDMI... Backlight bleeds and what appear to be non lit parts just above the Sony sign... colours unnatural and colour banding, no matter how you tweak it, a complete disaster. So dissapointed...

I'm having a Sony Technician coming to have a look at the TV tomorrow, but I just want it replaced... by a different model. I guess there is no chance of this happening, or how do I go about it??

I come from a 37" HD ready only Panasonic Plasma and the picture quality in both SD & HD is sooo much better, but I wanted a bigger telly.

Nobody seems to make relatively affordable tellys bigger than 37" that will fit into the 96cm slot I have for a TV :(

What really bugs me is that I could buy a better 50" TV for less money, just don't have the space for it

Any advice?

TRENDING THREADS