SONY KDL 40EX503 FAULT

dave63

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
My KDL 40EX503 tv has suddenly stopped working. It was fine last night but tonight when I got home from work and went to turn it on it wouldn't work. When I turned on the wall plug the amber stand by light came on as normal. When I went to turn the tv on (green button), the green activate light came on and the tv started to turn on but then it went off. The amber stand by light flashed for some time then eventually went out. I have disconnected/reconnect the power lead but each time the same thing happens.

Grateful if anyone has any ideas why this might be happening - I can't see what I could be doing wrong, also are there any known reliability issues with this TV. I must admit that my faith in the reliability of Sony products has been severley dented. The TV is only 8 months old bought from Hi Spek Brentwood 22 June last year.

Grateful for early replies as I intend take the tv back to store tomorrow and request a replacement set.

Thanks

dave63

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Further to previous post I note that the flashing standby light indicates that the tv is self-diagnosis mode - the light flashing 6 times between each 3 second pause. Anyone know what this signifies.

Thanks

Oldboy

Sep 13, 2007
Visit site
dave63,

FYI i had 5 faulty 40ex503 tv's in a row! Needless to say i gave up on this tv in the end due to the quality issues, i had 3 with backlight issues (clouding yet again!), 1 with several stuck pixels and the other with a strange picture issue that cut out the picture on screen and replaced it with a purple screen with black vertical lines!

I beleive the flashing light means the tv has detected an issue and is shutting down to prevent any further damage, in effect it's just a 'safe' mode if i remember correctly but it's definately a serious issue with the tv if it won't even start up. You shouldn't get any hassle though as it's within the first year of warranty and therefore you are fully covered but be warned the retailer has the right to attempt to repair the tv before considering a replacement, but it's down to the retailer what action they take.

I hope you get the tv replaced and have no issues in the future, best regards.

dave63

Jan 25, 2010
Visit site
Thanks for your replies. After I posted last night left the TV with the power off at the mains for a couple of hours. When I tried it later it worked. I cycled it on/off about 6 times and apart from the first time the tv worked each time. I tried it a couple of times 1st thing before coming to work today and it came on OK. It has always been my practice to cut mains power to the tv each night or if I'm away for any length of time and when I switched the plug off this morning I noticed a very brief faint flicker from the screen. This makes me think that I ought to be leaving the tv on standby and not cutting power to it and that this might have some bearing on the problem. I will leave it on stand by from now on.

Oldboy - I must admit, I've had none of the problems you describe. I have no compliants at all with the picture on my tv. But if I establish there is a clear fault a repair won't cut it - after only 7 months only a replacement unit will do.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts