Sony F606ES headphone jack static

Darkspace

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Hello,

This is my first post here (although i posted this in the headphones section earlier), and i apologize if it's rude to start asking questions right away. I'm just really in need of some expert advice, since i can't find any answers on the internet, and my own knowledge isn't that great regarding hi-fi.

Last week, i bought an amplifier, te be more specific, a Sony F606ES. This is the little brother of the F707ES and F808ES. The amp is in very good condition, and is working properly. I just have one problem, but i don't know if i can do anything about it.

I have a Sennheiser HD 650 headphone, and when i plug it into the 6.35mm headphone jack, i hear a kind of static/hissing which is constant in volume, whatever i do. It's not really noticable when i play music with enough going on (read: heavy metal), but when i put in something that leaves room for some calmer moments (read: singer/songwriter), it's too noticable to ignore.

I tried every setup. I even put it on the kitchen table with nothing but the power cord and the headphones connected, and still heard the static. I also tried different headphones, the static was also there.

Could someone please tell me what i can do about this?

Regards,

Eric

Glacialpath

Apr 7, 2010
Visit site
Hi Darkspace (cool name) welcome to the forum.

Yeah Metal can cover up all kinds of issues with kit but you soon notice how much clearer the music is when the issue is not there.

Hmm this just sounds like there is a problem with the jack socket. With just the Power lead connected as you tried in your Kitchen, when you connect speakers and turn the amp of, do you get silence with minimal white noise emitting from the speakers when you turn the volume up full or does the same noise emitted through the headphone jack come out the speakers?

Also have you tried selecting the source direct button?

As I said it just sounds like there is a fault with the jack socket. Someone else might be able to shed some light on it though.

GP

P.S. if you're into Metal, check out my Deathmetal Hi-Fi thread if you like. Just a bit of fun. http://www.whathifi.com/forum/hi-fi/deathmetal-hi-fi-extracting-most-your-cds-or-streamers

Darkspace

Nov 15, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for your reply!

The static/white noise is at the same level, no matter how much i turn up the volume. I also tried every button on the amp (including the source direct), but there is never any difference.

BUT, i contacted a vintage audio guy who cleans and repairs these kind of amps, and in a few weeks i can probably drop it off. I explained the problem and he said it's possible to solve it. So i hope that's going to work out! :)

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts