Sony DVP NS900V not reading SACD, any advice ??

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Hello all,

I recently bought a Sony DVP-NS900V SACD player to use as a transport, having sold my Audiolab 8200CDQ (I have a pair of AVI ADM9s, so the CDQ was effectively being used as a transport, so I thought I'd free up done cash and get something else).

The Sony sounds great spinning CDs when connected optically, but I've just taken delivery of a few SACDs (Dark Side Of The Moon, Blood On The Tracks and a Police greatest hits one) as I was interested to hear the difference (if any) and the DVP-NS900V doesn't appear to be accessing the SACD layer or even recognising the fact that an SACD is in there. The display just reads "CD" and plays as usual, and admittedly sounds great, but the SACD light should be illuminated, as far as I'm aware (the "DVD" light is illuminated when a DVD is played, so it can definitely tell when a DVD is in there).

I have also played the SACDs successfully on my 5.1 home cinema kit, so I'm pretty sure it's not the discs.

Any ideas ?? It's not exactly the end of the world, as I have only these 3 SACDs, but it would be nice to hear what they'd sound like in stereo through the ADM9s, which I think sound absolutely awesome.

Thanks all,

Baz

Deliriumbassist

Apr 27, 2011
Visit site
You probably have hybrid SACDs by the sound of it. Put the disc in, but don't play it. On the remote, toggle the scroll key until it says SACD/CD, then toggle the scroll key down until it just says SACD. Hybrid SACDs have a normal layer (CD) and a HD layer (SACD), so I think the player is only seeing the CD layer as default.

baz

Aug 27, 2011
Visit site
Thanks lads, hmmm yes now I think I remember reading a review of it and seeing that SACDs only work over coaxial, so maybe the player can detect there's no coax lead attached. I'll try it with a coaxial lead. As for toggling the remote, nothing appears to work....looking at the manual, it appears to have a fair bit of functionality, but most of it seems to be menu based when used with a television screen, and can I be arsed to unhook the player and hook it up to my telly ? Not really ! Then again, I just might !

And Shooter, you're so right, streaming is a lot easier ! Most of my listening is done via Sonos, but as I'm yet to rip most of my rather large CD collection lossless to a NAS, I thought it would be nice to play the odd CD...but not, it seems, SACD !

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts