Sony BDP S760 versus Pioneer BDP LX71

robstar63

Jan 15, 2009
Visit site
Does anyone have any experience of the difference between the outgoing Pioneer BDP LX 71 and the New Sony BDP S760

I am in the market at this price range and would like the best quality Bluray image and DVD upscaling. I am not quite so bothered about profile 2.0

What do the staff at What Hi Fi think ??

Any comments appreciated

A

Anonymous

When the Pioneer was reviewed here its guide price was £600 but now you will get it for £350 or maybe less. It still scored well with 4 out of 5 stars. If it was reviewed at it's current price I'd hazard a guess it would have got the 5 stars (what do we reckon what-hifi?) Sonys machine gets 5 stars at £400 but is also available at least as the same price as the Pioneer, maybe less. As I'm researching both Blu-Ray players and TV's at present I would be looking at a similar price bracket so this is an interesting comparison you have raised. I've seen the Pioneer and it is excellent but I haven't seen the Sony.

Look out for a guy called "Gel" he is the self proclaimed Pioneer Blu-Ray player expert on here, he has even been advising the what-hifi team recently!
emotion-2.gif
No doubt he can at least enlighten you on the Pioneer player.

D

Deleted member 2457

Daveee quote " I've seen the pioneer and it is excellent", I don't think i need to add much more to that.

The pioneer got 5 star's by the way in it's original review and got more stars to it's name that the denon dvd2500bt in a group test.

Perhaps you should read the online review's for it.

All I can suggest is that the Sony S760 is a new model & it makes sense to buy the latest product, & not something that's more than a year old. The Sony has got consistently rave reviews, plus it's got wi-fi which is very handy. It offers a lot more for the money than the Pioneer. I take it onboard that you're not bothered about profile 2.0, but Sony is a lot faster to load discs.

The Pioneer LX-71 no doubt is an excellent player & you won't be disappointed by its performance, but I would personally go for a Sony.

A

Anonymous

gel:

Daveee quote " I've seen the pioneer and it is excellent", I don't think i need to add much more to that.

The pioneer got 5 star's by the way in it's original review and got more stars to it's name that the denon dvd2500bt in a group test.

Perhaps you should read the online review's for it.

gel

Could you point me in the direction of the Pioneer LX71 and Denon 2500 BT group test , I would be interested to read it?

D

Deleted member 2457

I amfraid you would have had to read the what hifi mag when it was in there.

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Gel, you are referring to the 'Group Test' in the March 2009 issue?

The 'Group Test' was called 'One-make Blu Ray systems', and the Denon DVD-2500BT and AVR 2309 for 4 stars purely because of the receiver and NOT the player.

In fact looking at the individual star ratings, the Denon 2500BT was given 5 stars and the Pioneer was given only 4 stars in that review.....

Looks like the 'Pioneer glasses' are on again, Gel.........lets stick with the facts next time though.
emotion-4.gif

A

Anonymous

gel:
I amfraid you would have had to read the what hifi mag when it was in there.

I don't think you can go wrong with either machine.

LX71 Review - http://whathifi.com/Review/Pioneer-BDP-LX71/

S760 Review - http://whathifi.com/Review/Sony-BDP-S760/

Try priceruuner/google etc. see what you can get them for. If they are both around the £350 mark...tough one. I'd go for the pioneer personally but i don't think its possible to make a bad choice here

D

Deleted member 2457

No

The group test was in december 2008 what hi fi magazine
emotion-2.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
Oh, I discarded that group test cause you said above that the Pioneer, and I quote, 'got more stars to it's name that the denon dvd2500bt in a group test'.

Ignoring your grammar in that sentence, you suggest that the Pioneer got more stars in the group test in December 2008.

Just so happens I have that page open in front of me.....Pioneer 5 stars...Denon 5 stars......winner of the group test........DENON!!!!!!!!

Not trying to be rude, but the world you live in must be a wonderful place........

D

Deleted member 2457

I have always said the denon won please read carefully, what I said was the pioneer ended up with more stars in the group test by it's name.
emotion-21.gif

Pistol Pete1

Jan 27, 2008
Visit site
gel:I have always said the denon won please read carefully, what I said was the pioneer ended up with more stars in the group test by it's name.
emotion-21.gif

Can you show me where you said that? It's not on this thread at all!!! (Denon won bit, that is)

'The pioneer ended up with more stars in the group test by it's name' - what is that meant to mean?

If I didn't have the mag in front of me, like the guy asking about it, I would assume as it 'has more stars by it's name', it won the group test.........

But it didn't...........

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts