Sony BDP-S350/550 hooked up to a Sony 40w2000

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Hi, hope someone can advise who has a Sony350 or 550 bluray hooked up to a Sony 40w2000. Looking at getting one of these players so I downloaded the manual for the 350 to have a read about it. Just wondering as the 40w2000 does not accept 24fps whether anyone has encountered any problems with this set-up or does the TV manage to handle everything ok? Do you have the BD-ROM 1080/24p output for bluray discs (page 43 in manual) on the player set to “Auto” or “on” or will it work ok on either? Thanks

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:I do believe Gerrardasnails has that very combo (550 with the W2000)...hopefully he'll be along soon!

I do indeed and here I am. The Sony BD player lets you pick 1080p or 1080p 24fps. I couldn't get a picture when I originally chose the latter - I thought it would just deal with the image the best it could. However, when 1080p is chosen, the picture is fantastic. I think the W2000 is a great LCD anyway and will not change it until it dies on me. Obviously the ideal would be to have a screen that can do everything that the source can throw at it but you will be taken aback by the picture from bluray.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I use a Sony BDP-S350 via my Onkyo 905 amp to my 40W2000 with no problems. Just leave the setting on Auto.

I must admit I thought the picture was great..... that was until I set the same Blu-Ray player up on my mother-in-law's new 40W4000 which does accept 24p. There's a massive difference, the picture is so much better, it's hard to believe how much LCD's have improved over 18 months.

My advice would be to go for the blu-ray player, it'll work fine with your 40W2000 and you'll be blown away by the picture quality, just don't do what I did and see the the same player connected to a newer Sony LCD!

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:Clare Newsome:I do believe Gerrardasnails has that very combo (550 with the W2000)...hopefully he'll be along soon!

I do indeed and here I am. The Sony BD player lets you pick 1080p or 1080p 24fps. I couldn't get a picture when I originally chose the latter - I thought it would just deal with the image the best it could. However, when 1080p is chosen, the picture is fantastic. I think the W2000 is a great LCD anyway and will not change it until it dies on me. Obviously the ideal would be to have a screen that can do everything that the source can throw at it but you will be taken aback by the picture from bluray.

Sorry, I got that slightly wrong. I have it set to Auto as you don't get a choice of 1080p or 1080p and 24fps. It you select the latter you get no picture so you select auto and in the resolution choice you pick 1080p.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pete321:
I use a Sony BDP-S350 via my Onkyo 905 amp to my 40W2000 with no problems. Just leave the setting on Auto.

I must admit I thought the picture was great..... that was until I set the same Blu-Ray player up on my mother-in-law's new 40W4000 which does accept 24p. There's a massive difference, the picture is so much better, it's hard to believe how much LCD's have improved over 18 months.

My advice would be to go for the blu-ray player, it'll work fine with your 40W2000 and you'll be blown away by the picture quality, just don't do what I did and see the the same player connected to a newer Sony LCD!

Thanks for letting me know that Pete!! I really wanted to hear that!!! I started out 18 months ago with an all in one Jamo system for music and cinema and have not stopped upgrading since. I promised that I would stop for a while once the BD player arrived. I now hear that the difference with 24fps is massive!!

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Thank you pete321 and Gerrardasnails. Good news really whichever player I go for then. You are both obviously rating your respective machines at 5 stars. Gerrardasnails I agree re. your comments on the 40w2000, super tv,had mine for two years and it has not put a foot wrong yet. What I love about these forums is everyones willingness to help everyone else regardless of their expertise. Again many thanks.

Big Chris

Apr 3, 2008
Visit site
I have my 350 hooked up to my TV which is even older than yours. You'll have no worries.

One pleasant surprise is the 350 upscales DVDs better than my RDR-HXD910 HDD/DVD recorder which has been relegated to the bedroom.

On my TV (720p), 'Wanted' on DVD looked incredibly sharp.

laserman16

Nov 23, 2007
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:pete321:

Thanks for letting me know that Pete!! I really wanted to hear that!!! I started out 18 months ago with an all in one Jamo system for music and cinema and have not stopped upgrading since. I promised that I would stop for a while once the BD player arrived. I now hear that the difference with 24fps is massive!!
Bought a Sony RDR-HXD860 dvd/hdd along with the tv. 6 months later my neighbour got the new model (870 I think) which upscales to1080p and has a jukebox facilty on the HDD. So where do you stop? If you keep chasing technology it will cost a fortune. Cant justify a new one to the wife every months or so at 300 to 400 a throw . Hopefully Sony or Panny will bring one out with a freesat tuner built in,might be able to get away with that.LOL

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
That's technology for you! I think the difference between the 40W2000 and 40W4000 is gut wrenching. My mother-in-law's 40W4000 is connected to a Virgin Media V+ box and the BDP-S350, so I can make a direct comparison, the only difference is that I've got an Onk 905 inbetween mine an far better HDMI leads!

The picture from both sources is just so much clearer, sharper and has superb colour. That's not to say I thought my 40W2000 was bad, it was an award winning set, but it's the speed at which it's been bettered by such a large degree that hurts. Not to mention the fact that I paid nearly £1200 for mine, and that was the cheapest deal at the time, hers was less than £800, I hate technological advances and I hate mother-in-law's!

I can't have my mother-in-law having a better telly than me! A bit more persuading to do with my other half, but hopefully a 46W4500 will adorn my living room in the not to distant future.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
pete321:
That's technology for you! I think the difference between the 40W2000 and 40W4000 is gut wrenching. My mother-in-law's 40W4000 is connected to a Virgin Media V+ box and the BDP-S350, so I can make a direct comparison, the only difference is that I've got an Onk 905 inbetween mine an far better HDMI leads!

The picture from both sources is just so much clearer, sharper and has superb colour. That's not to say I thought my 40W2000 was bad, it was an award winning set, but it's the speed at which it's been bettered by such a large degree that hurts. Not to mention the fact that I paid nearly £1200 for mine, and that was the cheapest deal at the time, hers was less than £800, I hate technological advances and I hate mother-in-law's!

I can't have my mother-in-law having a better telly than me! A bit more persuading to do with my other half, but hopefully a 46W4500 will adorn my living room in the not to distant future.

I paid £1225 for mine when they were costing up to £1800 elsewhere! Do you have the settings on your screen set similarly to the MIL's? I'm shocked that the W4000 is that much better. I think my picture is stunning!

What will you do with your 40 incher if you upgrade? If I could get £400 or £500 for mine on ebay, it would be a no brainer....

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I'm happy that I've got the best settings for the picture, as you'll know it was horrid out of the box. I was the one who set my mum-in-law's 4000 up, so I used similar settings.

I saw a secondhand W2000 go fo the upper end of £300 on eBay a little while ago, but secondhand prices will be rapidly dropping as the price of new LCD's falls. You can already get the W4000 for £699 and the V4000 for £599.

Not sure what to do with it if and when I get permission to replace it, it's a bit too big for a bedroom TV!

A

Anonymous

Hi. I have a Sony 40W2000 connected to the Sony BDP-350 via an Onkyo 605 and must admit the picture is great. I have noticed the lack of 24fps when watching the opening scences of 'I am legend', also when the credits are rolling, but apart from those slow panning shots I really can't tell. But a mate of mine bought the Sony 40W4000 and it looks amazing.... As you guys say, the improvement in the last couple of years has been quite impressive.

Anyway, pete321 I was wondering what settings you used on your TV for the best picture as we have a fairly similar setup. I am at work at the moment, but from memory I think I have:

Backlight = 5

Contract = 80

Brightness = 44

Color = 60

Sharpness = 0

I can't be 100% sure and I know I am missing some settings as well. What are your settings? Also do you play around with any of the advanced ones? Thanks.

pete321

Aug 20, 2008
Visit site
I writing this from memory, I think my settings are:

Backlight - 0 to 3 (depending on time of day of how dark the room is)

Contrast - 88

Brightness - 38

Colour - 55

Sharpness - 0

A

Anonymous

Cheers. Thanks for that. Will give it a try and see what it looks like. Looks like the settings are pretty close to the ones I am using.

A

Anonymous

pete321:

I've a 40W2000 - haven't yet decided on a PS3/BD player... I was wondering though, could your picture settings have affected your comparison... not the brightness/contrast etc. - more the advanced settings..?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts