Sony BDP S185 - new budget blu-ray player

I can't find any info on this player apart from a few online stores. It doesn't appear that Sony has officially announced this player, nor is any information available on Sony UK website.

There is some info on Sony's Polish website.

WHF, any news on the player & any plans to review it?

161155.jpeg

161143.jpeg

When I translated Sony's Polish website (via Google chrome), it says:

BD-LIVE YES
BIVL YES
BIVL - Sony's website - Streaming YES
BIVL - Streaming Live YES

So it probably does stream. Even if it doesn't, not everyone use their blu-ray player to stream. I don't. I've got my PS3 for it, and Sonos. This is perfect for the bedroom. At £79, it's the cheapest Sony player at launch. Spend £20 more for the S380 if you want streaming as well. Simples.

Ravey Gravey Davy

Apr 28, 2008
Visit site
It was a tongue in cheek comment after looking at the spec on the RS link.I have no blue ray/streaming/iplayer/freeview HD currently in the main room and I have been waiting for the price of the Samsung BD8500 to come down so I could kill lots of birds with one stone but if that Sony streams as well ...... it could be part of a 2 box move

sonycentre

May 30, 2009
Visit site
We have had this unit in-store since thursday,looks very cute and does everything the bdps380/83 does minus the 3d element.Retails at £79.99 sold a few at work yesterday it's ideal for a bedroom/kitchen. :clap:

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
We plan to get a Sony BDP-S185 for review this week - even if we have to buy one - so will definitely throw it into the mix re Awards judging etc. No-one here had heard a word from Sony on the player, and - as noted - there's nothing on Sony UK website to date.

But if it really is as good as the Sony BDP-S380 (itself now widely available under £100) then it could indeed be a true Blu-ray bargain. Plus a great low-cost streaming option, as it supports BBC iPlayer, Qriocity etc...

Time and testing will tell :)

I can't find any difference between this & the S380 except the SACD capability on paper. Smaller size is to S185's advantage. If there's no difference performance-wise as compared the the S380, then Sony has something really special, at the expense of the S380.

A

Anonymous

Hi does anyone actually know where this unit can be picked up for £80, Argos want £99 for it and Amazon don't have it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts