Sony AMP and 7.1 surround query

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Sony STR DG 820 Surround Amp and over the weekend I finally got round to adding the last two speakers for full 7.1. I am a little confused about the icons on the screen and what I should expect to see. I don't know about other Amps but the Sony has on the screen little boxes surrounding each speakers abbreviations to show that the speaker is active, so you have the initial SL for surround left with a box around it etc. Having connected the new speakers and set the Amp to 3/4.1 the two boxes for the Surround Back light up but the initals do not appear in the box. The manual is less than helpful on this point so is this o.k. The Surround left and right are lit up o.k with the initials in the box, just the back surrounds only has the box and no initials? They appear to be working but is the Amp splitting the sound correctly?

Any feedback would be most welcome.

A

Anonymous

You might need to enable Pro Logic z/x on your amp unless the soundtrack your playing is 7.1?

I had this issue with mine and ES/EX or PL x/z fixed it

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the feedback I'll have a look at that. As far as I can recall you select that in Surround Field parameters?

So in doing that you now have all boxes filled I guess?

A

Anonymous

I actually have a Yamaha 667 but thats how i sorted it on mine as the BR and BL werent lit up. If you have 7.1 speakers and the soundtrack on the film is 5.1 the system defaults to 5.1 unless you specify in another area to use both SR/L and BR/L

It fills the room much more having 7.1 but my sofa isnt in best position for it so BR speaker isnt in really possible for someone sitting in position on the left and vice vera. Have rectangle narrow living room with the sofa on the long wall with the stairs behind

A

Anonymous

O.K that makes sense to me, the Auto Field Detection is saying the disc has 5.1 coding but you want to force it to 7.1 manually using enhanced surround features. I'll give that a go.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts