Sony a1 hdr issue!

• Thread starter Deleted member 2457
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 2457

I cant seem to get HDR to work, any ideas? Thanks. Contacted Sony support, apparently we got it working but there is squat all difference to the HDR picture! HDR on this TV is piss poor! 2D picture is great, and I M THINKING ABOUT keeping it for that, but HDR is poor, doesn’t even work! And I went through all the settings with Sony too.

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
I cant seem to get HDR to work, any ideas? Thanks. Contacted Sony support, apparently we got it working but there is squat all difference to the HDR picture! HDR on this TV is piss poor! 2D picture is great, and I M THINKING ABOUT keeping it for that, but HDR is poor, doesn’t even work! And I went through all the settings with Sony too.
On the Oppo there is a HDR button, and it shows HDR is not working!

D

Deleted member 2457

It certainly looks like it’s working on YouTube, but HDR Blu-ray nothing. WHF any ideas? Thanks.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Gel,

The firmware promised last March to enable DV/HDR via HDMI on you new Sony TV has allegedly failed to materialise - one of several reasons I discounted the A1 when demoing OLEDs. Android OS was another red flag. See the sloping stand that has been ditched for 2018 which was also a non-starter for me.

see discusion:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Television-General/When-is-the-Dolby-Vision-Firmware-update-going-to-be-available/m-p/670154

Meanwhile, the LG 65E7 continues to delight. None of your pops or clicks, the picture is certainly not "too dark" and Dolby Vision from Netflix and HDR on Amazon Prime are now excellent following firmware upgrades and carefull calibration. Guess your sister is over the moon with her good fortune as I am for purchasing an excellent TV for £1699. Old mottos -"Never look a gift horse in the mouth" and the "Grass is always greener" spring to mind.

I'm now retiring from the forum because of continuous ill-informed or disingenous critisism of other people's equipment. eg: Someone recently slated his one-time 55inch Kuro. I owned a 4th gen 50" and the last KRP 60". I do not recall a 55" ever existing. Panny did one.

Bye

buzz_lightclick

Gel you could save yourself the HDR/Dolby Vision headache with the Sony A1 by returning it, and keeping the E6 which you were happy with. As above, your sister seems pleased with the E7 so everyone’s a winner!

rocketrazor

Dec 12, 2009
Visit site
Didn't know you purchased a new Oled again mate. Honestly I don't know why you change so frequently and don't just enjoy what you have. I'd be more than happy with an E6.

drummerman

Jan 18, 2008
Visit site
emperor's new clothes said:
Hi Gel,

The firmware promised last March to enable DV/HDR via HDMI on you new Sony TV has allegedly failed to materialise - one of several reasons I discounted the A1 when demoing OLEDs. Android OS was another red flag. See the sloping stand that has been ditched for 2018 which was also a non-starter for me.

see discusion:

http://community.sony.com/t5/Television-General/When-is-the-Dolby-Vision-Firmware-update-going-to-be-available/m-p/670154

Meanwhile, the LG 65E7 continues to delight. None of your pops or clicks, the picture is certainly not "too dark" and Dolby Vision from Netflix and HDR on Amazon Prime are now excellent following firmware upgrades and carefull calibration. Guess your sister is over the moon with her good fortune as I am for purchasing an excellent TV for £1699. Old mottos -"Never look a gift horse in the mouth" and the "Grass is always greener" spring to mind.

I'm now retiring from the forum because of continuous ill-informed or disingenous critisism of other people's equipment. eg: Someone recently slated his one-time 55inch Kuro. I owned a 4th gen 50" and the last KRP 60". I do not recall a 55" ever existing. Panny did one.

Bye

That may have been me :)

It's been a while but I thought it was a 55. It was the smaller of the two at the time.

I won't slate it this time other than saying it was the second worst AV purchase I made (Audiolab 8000S ranks number one) ;-)

D

Deleted member 2457

Cheers guys! Very helpful, at the moment the E6 is plugged back in. Went online with Sony support and they took control of my Sony TV and enabled HDR and all the settings and still no improvement. Yep the E7 is a great TV and works correctly.

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Gel,

The firmware promised last March to enable DV/HDR via HDMI on you new Sony TV has allegedly failed to materialise - one of several reasons I discounted the A1 when demoing OLEDs. Android OS was another red flag. See the sloping stand that has been ditched for 2018 which was also a non-starter for me.

see discusion:

I'm now retiring from the forum because of continuous ill-informed or disingenous critisism of other people's equipment. eg: Someone recently slated his one-time 55inch Kuro. I owned a 4th gen 50" and the last KRP 60". I do not recall a 55" ever existing. Panny did one.

Bye
I think this is just for Dolby Vision mate, I can’t even get HDR to work properly.

D

Deleted member 2457

buzz_lightclick said:
Gel you could save yourself the HDR/Dolby Vision headache with the Sony A1 by returning it, and keeping the E6 which you were happy with. As above, your sister seems pleased with the E7 so everyone’s a winner!
Inthink I will do. Cheers Buzz. Oh and sound bar wise - they are all very good. The Sony The LG’s. You can’t lose.

D

Deleted member 2457

rocketrazor said:
Do hope you didn't get rid of the E6. Get shot of the Sony and enjoy the E6.
Yep, that’s what I am thinking too. Cheers mate and good to see you.

D

Deleted member 2457

Hi Gel,

see discusion:

Bye
Dont go buddy, you really just have to ignore posts you don’t like, I know it can be hard, but you are a really good member. And you are in the Oled club on here.

emperor's new clothes

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi Drummerman,

Thanks for the Mea Culpa - it was remiss of me to single out that as an example when most missgivings are found in the HiFi section. Everyone is of course entitled to an opinion, there is no wrong or right whether audio or vision and our hearing and vision senses are certainly not equal. The forum is a good medium to potentially help others avoid expensive mistakes. I'm more than happy with both HiFi and Av having gone through an expensive upgrade cycle. My previous hifi was enjoyed for 20 years and TV for 8. Zero plans for any further changes barring breakdown.

Hi Gel,

Thanks for your kind words, but as above am happy with my lot and guess there will soon be new debates about 2018 models and their enhanced processors, which may or may not be significant. It will certainly bring the Panny into contention IMHO as it will now be able to process the metadata needed for DV etc. I haven't upgraded my BR player as happy with the up-scaled 1080 so have no experience with the HDMI issues. Owned the first Pioneer plasma with HDMI (4th. gen). Worked fine with the Pioneer DVD but blew up the media box when connecting a Sky box so understand your frustration. Good luck and hope you find the right OLED for you soon.

Bye to all and thanks for all the info.

D

Deleted member 2457

See you mate.
thumbs_up.png

D

Deleted member 2457

Advice from Oppo - only buy an Oled that’s made by LG. LG all the way from here for me.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
gel said:
Advice from Oppo - only buy an Oled that’s made by LG.  LG all the way from here for me.  
Hello Gel I did say I did not like the HDR on the Sony Oled. However Sony does support HDR but not DV, until today that is.DV has just been added today to all compatible Sony TV models in Europe.

buzz_lightclick

gel said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Inthink I will do. Cheers Buzz. Oh and sound bar wise - they are all very good. The Sony The LG’s. You can’t lose.

Are you still able to return the Sony to Costco? Or will you have to try and sell it?

buzz_lightclick said:
gel said:
buzz_lightclick said:
Inthink I will do.  Cheers Buzz.  Oh and sound bar wise - they are all very good.  The Sony The LG’s.  You can’t lose.  

Are you still able to return the Sony to Costco? Or will you have to try and sell it? 
Costco have one of the most generous returns policies - 90 days.

D

Deleted member 2457

Yep, 90 days return, already got my LG set up again.

D

Deleted member 2457

Native_bon said:
gel said:
Advice from Oppo - only buy an Oled that’s made by LG. LG all the way from here for me.
Hello Gel I did say I did not like the HDR on the Sony Oled. However Sony does support HDR but not DV, until today that is.DV has just been added today to all compatible Sony TV models in Europe.
Cheers mate and yes you did.
thumbs_up.png

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts