SONY 5400 AMP AND DTS HD

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
After the installation debacle yesterday (I am still negotiating a settlement with the installer) I noticed a problem with my amp. Earlier in the day, we had been watching "Hotel for dogs" in dts hd. After the movie ended I turned off the amp. Later in the day, my son wanted to watch Monsters and the sound was limited to PCM and played only through the 2 front channels and sub. Try as I might, I could not get DTS HD. Eventually I decided to just switch the amp off and on again and amazingly dts hd returned. Any idea what this means? As usual, thanks for all your assistance.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BJB:After the installation debacle yesterday (I am still negotiating a settlement with the installer) I noticed a problem with my amp. Earlier in the day, we had been watching "Hotel for dogs" in dts hd. After the movie ended I turned off the amp. Later in the day, my son wanted to watch Monsters and the sound was limited to PCM and played only through the 2 front channels and sub. Try as I might, I could not get DTS HD. Eventually I decided to just switch the amp off and on again and amazingly dts hd returned. Any idea what this means? As usual, thanks for all your assistance.

Right, first things first, not all Blurays have a DTS HD soundtrack. Second, PCM is as good as it gets. I can't understand what has happened here but on your remote (if it's the same as my 3400es), you will see the AFD button. If you press this button and leave the sound options alone on your receiver, you should be fine. You then just need to make sure that you are sending the hdmi audio feed from your BD player to your receiver to decode. You can switch soundtracks whilst watching a film by pressing the audio button on your BD player remote. This will then show on your screen (soundtrack 1 English PCM, soundtrack 2 English Dolby Digital HD, soundtrack 3 French PCM etc,). Again though it sounds like the cowboys have done something wrong. I would start from scratch and do it yourself.

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:BJB:After the installation debacle yesterday (I am still negotiating a settlement with the installer) I noticed a problem with my amp. Earlier in the day, we had been watching "Hotel for dogs" in dts hd. After the movie ended I turned off the amp. Later in the day, my son wanted to watch Monsters and the sound was limited to PCM and played only through the 2 front channels and sub. Try as I might, I could not get DTS HD. Eventually I decided to just switch the amp off and on again and amazingly dts hd returned. Any idea what this means? As usual, thanks for all your assistance. Right, first things first, not all Blurays have a DTS HD soundtrack. Second, PCM is as good as it gets. I can't understand what has happened here but on your remote (if it's the same as my 3400es), you will see the AFD button. If you press this button and leave the sound options alone on your receiver, you should be fine. You then just need to make sure that you are sending the hdmi audio feed from your BD player to your receiver to decode. You can switch soundtracks whilst watching a film by pressing the audio button on your BD player remote. This will then show on your screen (soundtrack 1 English PCM, soundtrack 2 English Dolby Digital HD, soundtrack 3 French PCM etc,). Again though it sounds like the cowboys have done something wrong. I would start from scratch and do it yourself.

Hi Gerard,

Sorry for the late response. I have been off line for a few days. I confirmed all the settings as you listed above. Still, however, when I first fire up the amp it plays PCM through only the left and right front speakers and the sub. This is rectified when I click power on the remote and then turn it back on again. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your help.

Gerrardasnails

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
BJB:
Gerrardasnails:BJB:After the installation debacle yesterday (I am still negotiating a settlement with the installer) I noticed a problem with my amp. Earlier in the day, we had been watching "Hotel for dogs" in dts hd. After the movie ended I turned off the amp. Later in the day, my son wanted to watch Monsters and the sound was limited to PCM and played only through the 2 front channels and sub. Try as I might, I could not get DTS HD. Eventually I decided to just switch the amp off and on again and amazingly dts hd returned. Any idea what this means? As usual, thanks for all your assistance. Right, first things first, not all Blurays have a DTS HD soundtrack. Second, PCM is as good as it gets. I can't understand what has happened here but on your remote (if it's the same as my 3400es), you will see the AFD button. If you press this button and leave the sound options alone on your receiver, you should be fine. You then just need to make sure that you are sending the hdmi audio feed from your BD player to your receiver to decode. You can switch soundtracks whilst watching a film by pressing the audio button on your BD player remote. This will then show on your screen (soundtrack 1 English PCM, soundtrack 2 English Dolby Digital HD, soundtrack 3 French PCM etc,). Again though it sounds like the cowboys have done something wrong. I would start from scratch and do it yourself.

Hi Gerard,

Sorry for the late response. I have been off line for a few days. I confirmed all the settings as you listed above. Still, however, when I first fire up the amp it plays PCM through only the left and right front speakers and the sub. This is rectified when I click power on the remote and then turn it back on again. Any suggestions? Thanks again for your help.

I'm stumped to be honest. Are you happy with the sound? It should sound sensational. If it doesn't, I really think you should start afresh and go through the manuals and do it all yourself.

Boca

May 9, 2009
Visit site
BJB

Go into the setup menu of the 5000ES (Blueray) and verify that you have the setting audio set to direct and not mix.

on the sony 5400(receiver) check under settings, audio, decode priority is set to auto and not pcm.

Are you using the BD button on the remote or the HDMI button?

I use the HDMI 5 ( Sony recommends this for the purest sound quality)

I am not sure if this will help. but try this.

Sound wise how do you like it B&W vs Monitor Audio?

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Gerrardasnails:BJB:

Hi Gerard,

I'm stumped to be honest. Are you happy with the sound? It should sound sensational. If it doesn't, I really think you should start afresh and go through the manuals and do it all yourself.

I am very happy with the sound and picture. My son is 2 1/2 and he doesn't like the volume too loud, but even at low volumes the sound is crystal clear and the sub integrates beautifully with the front channels.

BJB

Jul 27, 2009
Visit site
Boca:

BJB

Go into the setup menu of the 5000ES (Blueray) and verify that you have the setting audio set to direct and not mix.

on the sony 5400(receiver) check under settings, audio, decode priority is set to auto and not pcm.

Are you using the BD button on the remote or the HDMI button?

I use the HDMI 5 ( Sony recommends this for the purest sound quality)

I am not sure if this will help. but try this.

Sound wise how do you like it B&W vs Monitor Audio?

Thanks for the advice Boca. I know that the audio setting on the blu ray is set to direct, but I will need to confirm the other settings. Sound wise I prefer the MAs, but I really don't think that it is a fair comparison because the the setup was not correct for the B&Ws.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts