Sony 46HX803 or Samsung 46D6530 or D6900?

bigblue235

New member
Aug 22, 2007
82
0
0
I currently can't make my mind up between these three sets:

Sony 46HX803 LCD
Samsung 46D6530 LCD
Samsung 51D6900 Plasma

If anyone has these any of these sets, an opinion would be most welcome. If anyone has compared them, even better!

I'm currently leaning towards the Sony even though it's last year's model. Also, the gaffer isn't keen on the transparent plastic round the edge of the frame on the Samsungs. I guess it's her TV too (he says, grudgingly!).

Thanks!
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I've auditioned all three and a lot of others over the past 3 weeks before making my purchase and IMO the Panasonic 46GT30 (or 50 if you can stretch) are far better than all these sets. But I prefer the less vivid colours of plasma than LCD and the better back levels, although the edge lit LED TV's do get close, but I can't stand the clouding most of these type of sets have to some degree. I would suggest you audition all of your options and add the Panasonics GT series to the list.
 

bigblue235

New member
Aug 22, 2007
82
0
0
Thanks for your input!

I had been planning to buy a 50GT30 but I've kinda been put off the Panasonic plasmas by all the fuss about the fluctuating brightness. I normally try not to read internet complaints, but it's too hard to miss. It's mentioned on various forums, user reviews on shopping sites and even Facebook. I've just got rid of a TV with a couple of niggly faults, so I'm looking for a safer bet this time. Though I'm not sure an edge-LED is actually a safer bet!

I've just been to my local stockist of the HX803 and D6530, and didn't find much between them. I can't get a demo of the 51D6900 as I'm in Jersey, and no-one stocks it here. I've seen the 59" version but that's too big. There's only one place with a GT30, and last time I was in it wasn't switched on! It's a bit of a nightmare getting demos here, price makes up for it though :)
 
A

Anonymous

Guest
I went through the same process and looked at all the complaints etc. After auditioning it was clear the 50GT30 was the TV for me. I've not had it for long but have watched a number of 50Hz footie games to ensure there are no double lines etc. Also there are no rising blacks when using the professional 1 or 2 modes once calibrated. In addition it helps that I got the 5 year warranty, 2 pairs of glasses and an agreement from the dealer if any of these problems did materialise I could return it. I had a the Samsung PS50C6900 previously and although the colours were very good and the image was really detailed the black levels and shadow detail where not great and I did not see a huge improvement in this area in the 51D6900 I auditioned. The 46HX803/903 I looked at where really sharp, great black levels and shadow detail, but the 3D pictures on both suffered from cross talk. I've watched Tron, tangled & despicable me, as well as some footie from sky in 3D on the 50GT30 and have not seen any crosstalk, absolutely awesome.
 

bigblue235

New member
Aug 22, 2007
82
0
0
markjaspi said:
I went through the same process and looked at all the complaints etc. After auditioning it was clear the 50GT30 was the TV for me. I've not had it for long but have watched a number of 50Hz footie games to ensure there are no double lines etc. Also there are no rising blacks when using the professional 1 or 2 modes once calibrated. In addition it helps that I got the 5 year warranty, 2 pairs of glasses and an agreement from the dealer if any of these problems did materialise I could return it.

The 50hz stuff that's often talked about doesn't bother me, it's the flickering brightness. There's just too many people complaining about it for me to ignore it. I know a lot of this stuffgets blown out of all proportion on the net, but as it's tricky for me to return a TV I need to go with a safe-ish bet!

I had a the Samsung PS50C6900 previously and although the colours were very good and the image was really detailed the black levels and shadow detail where not great and I did not see a huge improvement in this area in the 51D6900 I auditioned. The 46HX803/903 I looked at where really sharp, great black levels and shadow detail, but the 3D pictures on both suffered from cross talk. I've watched Tron, tangled & despicable me, as well as some footie from sky in 3D on the 50GT30 and have not seen any crosstalk, absolutely awesome.

Great info again, thanks. Not sure what I think about 3D, it doesn't really interest me at the mo, but it might in future. Decisions, decisions!
 

Graham1994

New member
Jan 20, 2009
0
0
0
I tried the HX803 in my house ( as a possible replacement for my existing Samsung. ) First of all it would not tune in the tv channels. The Sony engineer would not believe it until he tried ( and failed ) to tune it in. The second ( replacement ) TV tuned in straight away, picture was amazing - even before I began to tweak the settings. My gripe with this set was when I was watching any freeview HD picture, the channel kept cutting out. Through a process of elimination, I pinned the problem to the effect of having my Denon 4308A amp connected. Extensive attempts to to alter the TV's or amps settings failed to overcome the channel cutting. Exit the Sony and my trusted Samsung was reinstalled. I've never had a problem since. One other point with the Sony is that ( unlike a Samsung ) you cannot set up the tv to remember individual settings for each piece of equipment connected to each input.

I am currently looking at the Samsung D7000.
 

D3CYPH3R

New member
Aug 26, 2010
31
0
0
Graham1994 said:
I tried the HX803 in my house ( as a possible replacement for my existing Samsung. ) First of all it would not tune in the tv channels. The Sony engineer would not believe it until he tried ( and failed ) to tune it in. The second ( replacement ) TV tuned in straight away, picture was amazing - even before I began to tweak the settings. My gripe with this set was when I was watching any freeview HD picture, the channel kept cutting out. Through a process of elimination, I pinned the problem to the effect of having my Denon 4308A amp connected. Extensive attempts to to alter the TV's or amps settings failed to overcome the channel cutting. Exit the Sony and my trusted Samsung was reinstalled. I've never had a problem since. One other point with the Sony is that ( unlike a Samsung ) you cannot set up the tv to remember individual settings for each piece of equipment connected to each input.

I am currently looking at the Samsung D7000.

As an owner of a 46hx803 i can confirm you can set picture settings and sound setting for each input on the TV.
 

bigblue235

New member
Aug 22, 2007
82
0
0
I bought the 46HX803 in the end.

As has been said, you can set-up preferences which are saved to individual inputs. There's a section for 'Target Inputs' that can be set to 'Current' or 'Common' :)

Anyway, I'm very impressed with the set. So impressed I'm kinda thinking I should have splashed out the extra and gone for the 52HX903. But I did get a good deal on the '803, so I'm happy for the mo!
 

johnjay

Well-known member
Dec 6, 2010
16
0
18,520
As far as i can remember,the hx903 availability was very scarce,even at time of release!To get a new 1 in the last 6-8 mths,prob. would have been next to impossible.They were certainly advertised online,but the only way you would have got 1,would be a return or someone selling one off.But warrantys are so important,esp. 5yr warrantys,you can at least feel comfortable with the future of your hx803.Another cracker though,the hx903.
 

johnjay

Well-known member
Dec 6, 2010
16
0
18,520
IMO you made the right choice with the 46hx803,seemly less prone to clouding & crosstalk,than its 40" sibling.TBH both crosstalk & clouding have been pretty non-existent on my HX 46 & it prob. goes for most HX 803,after proper set-up,Also add in the giveaway recent prices!........ Sonycenter,did you not change out for a later 2011 set?I recall you saying sony had a great line-up for 2nd half of '11.TBH the hx823 would have been the only 1 id have changed it for,(certainly not an EX723,46"or 55") .And even so,the 823 is more of a half step forward,unless we looked at the hx923,crease issue aside,its the best sony tv ive ever seen.Pity how a stupid QC issue can ruin possibly the best full led tvs reputation before it had time to get one.Are there still crease problems or are they crease free,so to speak now?
 

bigblue235

New member
Aug 22, 2007
82
0
0
johnjay said:
As far as i can remember,the hx903 availability was very scarce,even at time of release!To get a new 1 in the last 6-8 mths,prob. would have been next to impossible.They were certainly advertised online,but the only way you would have got 1,would be a return or someone selling one off.But warrantys are so important,esp. 5yr warrantys,you can at least feel comfortable with the future of your hx803.Another cracker though,the hx903.

You can get one easily enough here :) As I walked past my local stockist the other day, one was being loaded into someone's car.
 

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts