Sonus Faber Venere 2.5

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
Speakers I've been looking at and started to demo.

KEF R500 & R700

PMC Twenty-23 & Twenty-24

Next up will be the Venere 2.5 followed by a step up to the new ATC SCM 40's.

I realise I'm moving up into different territory from the £1500 - 2000 range that I started out with, but having obtained an upgrade in amp capability, it has become an exercise I feel I need to carry out, if only to discover what sort of sound and presentation i'm happiest with.

Any views on the Venere 2.5's ?

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
6631351_orig.jpg
Sonus_Faber_Venere_2.5_Lifestyle_Black.jpg

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Yes, they're quite attractive speakers. I really wanted to like them. I'm an SF fan, and when I auditioned the Venere 2.5s, I already had a pair of the 1.5s. However, I found the 2.5s too dark and lacking in dynamics. In that particular demo they were easily beaten by the Harbeth SHL5s.

Matt

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
matt49 said:
Yes, they're quite attractive speakers. I really wanted to like them. I'm an SF fan, and when I auditioned the Venere 2.5s, I already had a pair of the 1.5s. However, I found the 2.5s too dark and lacking in dynamics. In that particular demo they were easily beaten by the Harbeth SHL5s.

Matt

Thanks Matt.

My understanding is that they ideally require a more powerful and open amp, with a very good top end, to get them going properly and to overcome their bias towards the dark side.

They are supposed to work a treat with the Devialet 120/200 (they're SAM'ed now as well) and are said to work with Naim (XS pre/power, SuperNait 2 & SuperUniti), where they supposedly counter and tame the strident and forward character (coloured in my view). Although Naim won't be featuring in my plans.

I'm expecting these to be the complete antithesis of the new range ATC SCM40's.

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
When I heard the 2.5s, the amps were: Krell S-550i and Lavardin IT. The 1.5s I use at home were originally driven by a Cyrus X Power, which sounded really good IMO. I'm now using a Peachtree Decco, which also works well, though the Cyrus was marginally preferable.

I'd say a powerful SS amp would be essential. I'm sure a Devialet would be outstanding -- speaking as a Devialet owner :)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
Speakers I've been looking at and started to demo.

KEF R500 & R700

PMC Twenty-23 & Twenty-24

Next up will be the Venere 2.5 followed by a step up to the new ATC SCM 40's.

I realise I'm moving up into different territory from the £1500 - 2000 range that I started out with, but having obtained an upgrade in amp capability, it has become an exercise I feel I need to carry out, if only to discover what sort of sound and presentation i'm happiest with.

Any views on the Venere 2.5's ?

For those that feel the R Series is a little on the bassy side, the Venere range is a step in the right direction without drastically moving away from the R Series sound, as would be the case with the PMCs and ATCs. They're a little more forthcoming in the midrange and treble (not excessively) which I think is partly due to reigning the bass in a little. As mentioned, the other range to look at will be the new B&W CM S2 range.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:

You have a list of excellent speakers, with ATC / PMC at one end of the spectrum and SF at the other...and with Kef R Series somewhere in the middle.

As you have stated, amp matching is absolutely crucial to get the most out of them...ie. Slightly less analytical amps for ATC/PMC and clean powerful amps for SF/Kef.

I look forward to seeing how this all pans out.

gowiththeflow

Jan 10, 2009
Visit site
CnoEvil said:
gowiththeflow said:

You have a list of excellent speakers, with ATC / PMC at one end of the spectrum and SF at the other...and with Kef R Series somewhere in the middle.

As you have stated, amp matching is absolutely crucial to get the most out of them...ie. Slightly less analytical amps for ATC/PMC and clean powerful amps for SF/Kef.

From what I've gleaned so far, the R-series are in a class below, but I'll have to judge for myself when i hear them for myself against the 2.5's.

The amp I'm intending to use is a NAD M2, which I managed to grab before they vanished from stocks. However, I can always use that amp in another system I intend to build for another room, if needs be.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
gowiththeflow said:
CnoEvil said:
gowiththeflow said:

From what I've gleaned so far, the R-series are in a class below, but I'll have to judge for myself when i hear them for myself against the 2.5's.

The amp I'm intending to use is a NAD M2, which I managed to grab before they vanished from stocks. However, I can always use that amp in another system I intend to build for another room, if needs be.

I don't think that the R Series are a class below the Venere. They both have Standmounts around £1k and a range topper at around £3k. The R700 is the equivalent of the Venere 2.5.

I think they will both sound well when driven by the M2.

Native_bon

Nov 26, 2008
Visit site
matt49 said:

Matt
My observations are same as above. They sounded flat & were lacking in bass depth. Easy on the ear put lacked the close to the music appeal.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts