Sonus Faber Toy - with NAD 315 or other amp?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
HI, I was at the hi-fi store with the aim to require NAD C315/C515. The assistant set it up with the sonus faber toy speakers. I liked the look and sound of these speakers. They are of course relativ expensiver than the NAD elements.

Is it a mismatch to buy such good speaker with a "small" components like the NAD above? Would I gain more from the speakers selecting another amp? Which?

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
IMO they appear to be good speakers but I'd say that the NAD amp & CDP combo would be out of its depth

It'll drive them fine but I think they could do with a better combo.

Speakers like the Tannoy Custom F1s, Wharfedale 10.1's, Monitor Audio BR2's and the RX1's would be a better fit IMO. The Dali Lektor 2's would be my choice though

A

Anonymous

In fact I heard it with BR2 but they were less detailed than the sonus.

What if I maintained the speakers, which amp should I then consider?

A

Anonymous

I've had NAD equipment driving my Sonus Fabers for years. They're not out of their depth at all. Go for the Sonus Fabers, you won't regret it, then when the times comes (in my case 5 years) upgrade the amp.

Don't buy budget speakers. Once you've heard the SFs you simply won't be happy.

A

Anonymous

Thanks, thats a fine advice. I like to stick to the sonus faber toy. If not the NAD what amplifier could else be recommend?

A

Anonymous

How about a Primare I 21 with a SF Toy , I have heard this Combo and Liked it. Previous to my B&W I used a Concerto Domus Stand Mount and Boy !!! What a speaker it was, One of the best buys in Stand mount.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:To make the most of the Sonus Fabers you need a really decent amp. The minimum would be Creek Evo 2 (obviously, depending on budget) all the way up to Roksan Caspian or Leema Pulse.Yes, that's true, but the NAD is fine for the interim.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:To make the most of the Sonus Fabers you need a really decent amp. The minimum would be Creek Evo 2 (obviously, depending on budget) all the way up to Roksan Caspian or Leema Pulse.Yes, that's true, but the NAD is fine for the interim.

Tarquinh:

The OP titled it "...Nad 315 or other amp?"

...so I'm suggesting the other brands that would do a better job than an entry-level Nad with the mentioned speakers.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Tarquinh:

The OP titled it "...Nad 315 or other amp?"

...so I'm suggesting the other brands that would do a better job than an entry-level Nad with the mentioned speakers.And I'm saying the NAD is fine for the interim! So what's the problem?

A

Anonymous

PP, I'm being a bit unfair.

Most Sonus Faber speakers are forgiving of amplifiers in a way that, for example, Epos, Focal or even Dynaudio aren't. This means they sound good with what would be termed budget amps, but it is certainly true that the better the amp the better they will sound.

I've heard the Toys with amps ranging from Advance Acoustic through Atoll to Naim, and they sounded fine with all three. However, it is true that they sounded best with a Densen, as you'd expect. My feeling would be that the OP would be advised sticking with the NAD, then going for something like the Densen rather than anything in between, that's all.

I wasn't under the impression he had purchased the Nads yet.

"I was at the hi-fi store with the aim to require NAD C315/C515."

If he is looking for a cheapish upgrade, look no further than s/hand Roksan Kandy LIII, Creek Evo MKI....

You'll get a lot more sound for little extra money.

A

Anonymous

Actually, I think you underrate the NADs. I've heard the Roksan, albeit not with SF, and found it underwhelming. Not heard the Creek so can't comment. To be honest, it's not until you reach the Densen/Primare level that the extra money reaps appreciable sonic dividends. The Naim 5i and Cyrus would be the two exceptions, and either should go well with the Toys.

You really don't get a lot more sound for a little extra money.

Tarquinh:

Actually, I think you underrate the NADs. I've heard the Roksan, albeit not with SF, and found it underwhelming. Not heard the Creek so can't comment. To be honest, it's not until you reach the Densen/Primare level that the extra money reaps appreciable sonic dividends. The Naim 5i and Cyrus would be the two exceptions, and either should go well with the Toys.

On the contrary, I think Nad amps are fine, as I've commented many times in other threads. I've always been very candid, however, when it comes to stuff I've heard, including my own set-up. And Nad, like any make or budget, has its limitations.

Roksan Kandy LIII would destroy Nad 315, 326 and (probably) 355. After I recently heard the Creek Evo 2 it is a fantastic little amp. It may not have the bass weight of the 355, but what it lacks in bottom-end grunt more than makes up for in detail, poise, clarity...

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Tarquinh:

On the contrary, I think Nad amps are fine, as I've commented many times in other threads. I've always been very candid, however, when it comes to stuff I've heard, including my own set-up. And Nad, like any make or budget, has its limitations.

Roksan Kandy LIII would destroy Nad 315, 326 and (probably) 355. After I recently heard the Creek Evo 2 it is a fantastic little amp. It may not have the bass weight of the 355, but what it lacks in bottom-end grunt more than makes up for in detail, poise, clarity...

Come now, PP, destroy?? I think not. Unless there was something wrong with the one I heard, I thought it pretty average. Not bad, mark you, but less of an upgrade than you'd think.

Are you familiar with the Toys, by the way?

Tarquinh:plastic penguin:Tarquinh:

Come now, PP, destroy?? I think not. Unless there was something wrong with the one I heard, I thought it pretty average. Not bad, mark you, but less of an upgrade than you'd think.

In the context of the Sonus Fabers, yes, the Kandy and Creek would see off the Nad at a canter.

A

Anonymous

plastic penguin:Tarquinh:plastic penguin:Tarquinh:

In the context of the Sonus Fabers, yes, the Kandy and Creek would see off the Nad at a canter.Not sure what you mean by "see off at a canter", but I'd either buy the NAD now and upgrade later to something of the Densen/Primare standard or go the whole hog and buy it now rather than go for middling budget amps that don't offer that much of a lift in performance.

Just another way of saying the Kandy and Creek are undeniably better than the Nads with those speakers. I've had a similar conversation with d_a_n, but it seems I'm on a hiding to nothing when talking about Nad.

Just to reiterate, the Nad is a good machine, like Arcam A65 is a fine amp, and Rotel and Marantz. But comparing them with Kandy, Creek, Naim? with budget speakers or lesser quality speakers these budget brands will compete, but up the ante and spend extra on quality monitors and Nad, like any budget brands, will be found wanting....

matthewpiano

I'm sort of half-way on this one.

I'm a big fan of NAD amps and I think they do punch well above their price point.

HOWEVER, I also feel that a trait of NAD amplification is that it does tend to lack clarity, particularly at the bottom end - not to a major degree but it is something that creates a bit of a gap between their amps and stuff like the Naims, Creeks and Regas of this world. I have a C326BEE and the Pioneer A400 here at present and, excellent though the NAD is, the A400 is appreciably better in terms of giving a balanced, rhythmic sound with excellent clarity and clearly defined soundstaging. At the same time it doesn't lose anything to the NAD in terms of dynamic ability.

Personal experience of listening to a wide range of amps suggests to me that the NAD is more comparable with amps of its own price point whereas the A400 sits more comfortably amongst the current £500-£1k crop and I certainly wouldn't consider changing the A400 for anything else unless I could afford to jump into the £1k+ price point. I've A-B demo'd it against a Nait 5i and (brilliant though the Nait is) there was little to choose between them with the A400 possibly offering a little more air around the instruments.

I can see where both PP and Tarquinh are coming from. Personally I would be tempted to look for a good A400, which should cost even less than a C315BEE and give you more of the performance of the sort of amps PP is referring to. I reckon you'd be very satisfied with it until you've saved up enough money to get into the territory Tarquinh is talking about.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Sorry but the NAD C355BEE and Kandy LIII are in the same league; price is irrelevant!

The Kandy K2 I agree is similar to the Cyrus 6XP league but not necessilary better; just different!

The Creek EvoII is a good amp but if you wanted power in the bucket load to power largish speakers the Creek wouldnt do it.

I still stand by in saying that the Sonus Fabers need a better amp than the NAD's as discussed in the OP's thread but at the end of the day they WILL drive them and probably well too... Just that speakes like that deserve a better level of amplification.

You LOVE Creek PP and you canr deny that. In saying that I LOVE Arcam and NAD and it is always hard for me to move away from those makes but thats because I KNOW that they have the right sound for me and my musical tastes.

My concern is that you dismay the NAD's too easily and unsure whether you've really heard them in a solid demo with varying speakers etc...

It's horses for courses I appreciate that but sometimes certain products are dismissed too easily!

Exactly (almost) what I was saying: I never have or will ridicule an amp - unless it's really, really bad - and I know when comparing the Nad 352 alongside the A65+ and Rotel RA-02 there was very little between them. The Arcam had a slightly more languid presentation, whereas the Rotel and Nad had a touch more muscle and more prominent in the treble; it lacked a little subtly with the detail compared to the Arc. So it was a close-run thing, and certainly within the low to high budget amps the Nad is certainly competitive, but go up the next price bracket and the all budget stuff's deficiencies are highlighted...

...That said, I would never dissuade anyone from buying a Nad, but for my money other brands would edge it.

TRENDING THREADS