Sonos with the new Arcam Dac

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi, Has anyone tried adding their Sonos to the new arcam Dac? I am curious to hear if there is any significant difference and worth the £300 upgrade?

Thanks, Ian

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
Adding the dac to a Z90 will improve the sound greatly. I added a dac magic to mine and the improvement was significant. I'm currently thinking about the rdac and may change to one in the future.

Hope this helps.

Dan Turner

Jul 9, 2007
Visit site
I think any decent DAC will make a great improvement to the Sonos. I've used a DacMagic and the DAC built in to my SuperNait and in both cases it's substantially better than the Sonos on it's own.

brendonw

May 24, 2010
Visit site
Was wondering when this thread might appear.

Having gone from a AV amp to a seperate AV amp and stereo amp setup recently to improve the sound quality leaps and bounds I was interested to see the comments about the Arcam DAC, especially as 95% of my music is played via my NAS to the Sonos.

Time to trial one methinks.........still got the upgrade bug.....
emotion-3.gif

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
I heard a great improvement using the DAC in a ten year old AV amp, however I was using REALLY cheap phono cables (read free ones), so I can imagine that would have accounted for some of the difference.

Be interested to hear how you get on with your trial.

A

Anonymous

i have just ordered the MA apex speakers to go with the recent purchase of the samsung 55c8000 tv. I have asked the dealer to get in an rdac and will ask him to plug it in to the sonos and these speakers to see if there is a difference. it will be an arcam 600 avr that is used as the amp. will post back in a couple of weeks once the demo has taken place.

I am curious if the arcam amp needs this additonal DAC to do the Sonos justice.

A

Anonymous

is ok to presume that it would be possible (and beneficial) to connect a DAC to Sonos ZP120?

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
duff2010:is ok to presume that it would be possible (and beneficial) to connect a DAC to Sonos ZP120?

No a ZP120 has no outputs, analogue or digital, with which to connect to a DAC and even if you could you'd have to loop the DAC back into the 120's inputs to use its built-in amplifier, which wouldn't work.

A

Anonymous

They are awesome! replacing B&W 683 setup. i am going for a rel sub rather than MA's own though.

Sliced Bread

illoyd21:They are awesome! replacing B&W 683 setup. i am going for a rel sub rather than MA's own though.

Wow...do they out perform your 683s? Is that the case with movies and music?

You're getting me curious now. I'm not supposed to buy new speakers until I move house, but...

peter@57m

Mar 26, 2010
Visit site
Just saw this post.

I have a Sonos ZP90 and have been using it with an Arcam rDac for the last week. I had previously tried using my MF V-Dac with the Sonos but found it provided no benefit. The sound from the analogue out of the ZP90 is pretty good.

I managed to get an rDac on loan and it provides a clear benefit. In my system the sound is fuller and more spacious. I previously was always aware I was not listening to a CD through my Leema Antilla II. Now I find that I suddenly find myself stopping whatever I am doing and listening to the music in the same way I did with the Antilla.

On a back to back comparison with the Antilla, the CD player still has a larger sound stage and a bit more attack, but in terms of bass, mid and treble and sound signature the Sonos rDac combo is really very good.

I have now bought the rDac.

I am using WAV files on a NAS drive, the Sonos is wired to the router, Sonos is connected to rDac via Atlas Compass coax, the rDac is connected to the pre with Kimber KCAG interconnects.

I also use a regulated power supply from Maplins in preference to the switch mode wall wart provided. To my ears it improves the sound. Don't know if its the supply that improves the rDac or the switch mode wall wart that degrades the rest of the hifi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts