Sonos - Still the Best option

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Okay, so I've been painfully pulling my teeth out lately trying to decide on a goo multiromm system. Basically I want to be able to stream music from my PC, the internet, to various sources around the house. I've seen the logitech solution and also the sonos system. Sonos is far nicer in general.

My requirements are simple today, I want to have 2/3 zones all reciving internet radio and music. Zone 1 will be connected to the router via ethernet and will connect to the computer, Zone 2 (Kitchen) will just be a simple player but I want reasonalbe quality sound. Zone 3 (bedroom) is just for listening to the radio while reading or podcasts. Zone 2 and 3 need to be wifi.

My real question is does Denon or anyone else do anything worth looking at for around mu budget of 1000 pounds (for all rooms)

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
I'd say Sonos is still the best option. Even if another manufacturer brought something similar out, it'd need to be as simple to set up and use as the Sonos is, to be able to compete. Plus, it'd have to offer internet radio, Deezer, Last FM, Napster, streaming from PC - the only thing another system could gain would be Spotify. Plus the Sonos system allows iPod Touch and iPhone control, as well as access to Twitter, just in case you want to let the world know what you're listening too....
emotion-2.gif

A

Anonymous

Yeah that what I was thinking. I think the key is really the central contoller - We can get recievers and amps that do DNLA / upnp but we need a way to get all the devices to talk to each other -- ie a controller... then play music across different sources.

Snycronisation is the other hassle.....

I guess sonos it will be.

A

Anonymous

Before I bought my Sonos gear (BU250 plus S5 plus (free MA speakers) I experimented with a "home brew systems of multiple Apple Airport Expresses iTunes/Airfoil controlled with an Ipod Touch. It works and it works well but my wife objected to what she called all the faffing about (and she's an IT professional). So yes for absolute ease of set up and use Sonos does it for me. Only had a couple of weeks of listening to it myself but was more than happy with the sound quality given the limitations of my current kit and my wife is simply loving it.

A

Anonymous

SONOS ZP120 (+ MA BR1) -- Oh how do you find these? I was thinking BR2 but just waiting on a quote.

A

Anonymous

Hi I have the 250 bundle and s5

My 120 is set up with BR1s, I am very happy with them, Maybe tho i would like a bit more bass sometimes they may seem sharp i think the word is,

I didnt realise this until i bought the s5 and began listening to this, My 120 is in dining room and s5 in kitchen, The last couple weekends i have been in kitchen working to wonderful sounding music, The s5 has some nice depth/deep sounds and when i walk into dining room i hear the difference in the b1s. Butt dont get me wrong the b1s are not dissapointing, Just the s5 i feel better

A

Anonymous

Interesting observation you make there iamthetimberman and one which I'd agree with. In my case the S5 is in my wifes study/office (she works from home) whilst the BR1's are in the dining area of the kitchen sat either side of the ZP120 about 6 feet apart on a long console table. So clearly not optimally supported but there just wasn't an option to put them on stands.

That being said I find the sound perfectly acceptable, amazing even given that most of the time the source is Napster. Totally agree with you re: the S5 I went into Audio T in Preston intending just to get the BU250 set up (plus the free pair of BR1's) and they had the S5 playing in the shop I simply couldn't beleive that such that such a vivid open sound was coming from such a (relatively) small box.

For me it's the ideal solution the S5 is plugged into the router in my wifes office/study 120/BR1's in the kitchen and the 90 feeds my main system in the lounge. Currently thinking of adding another zone in our main bedroom we enjoy the Sonos experience that much.

A

Anonymous

"That being said I find the sound perfectly acceptable, amazing even given that most of the time the source is Napster. Totally agree with you re: the S5 I went into Audio T in Preston intending just to get the BU250 set up (plus the free pair of BR1's) and they had the S5 playing in the shop I simply couldn't beleive that such that such a vivid open sound was coming from such a (relatively) small box."

I've been think the same. The 799 deal is to good (which is why I'm going down that route). I'll be getting an S5 for the bedrrom later on but for good sounding kitchen music I'm going to try and use a sub (I've a spare one when I buy another :)). In my case i want to spend more time in the kitchen / dinig area as I'm getting sick of the T.V. A good 200-300 pound sub could make a world of difference I'm sure.

Now to convince the wife.

A

Anonymous

Just do it
emotion-1.gif

My wife has really never taken the slightest interest in any previous audio-video kit I've bought and I bought the Sonos gear without consulting her. After the 10 minutes it took to set up she was sold. This was just before Christmas and just about everytime I phone home (I work in the middle east) I can hear music playing in the background yet in the past she barely bothered to switch on the HiFi when I was away. She even puts it to Party mode when she does her cleaning so she can have the same stream in all zones as she wanders around the house. To me thats what it's all about the simple enjoyment of music what you want when you want it's just so easy.

A

Anonymous

2oldnslow: She even puts it to Party mode when she does her cleaning so she can have the same stream in all zones as she wanders around the house.

If the sonos encourages cleaning them I'm all for it. I am trying to order as I type.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
BilboBaggins:2oldnslow: She even puts it to Party mode when she does her cleaning so she can have the same stream in all zones as she wanders around the house.
If the sonos encourages cleaning them I'm all for it.

I'd have to say that's not working in my household...

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Set up my new sonos system on sunday. I bought a S5, ZP90 (connected to a rotel 930 ax amp & B&W 601's speakers), zonebridge and c200 controller. It was an absolute doddle to set up. Plug everything in first before running the software set up (CD Rom). The S5 sounds great in the kitchen with plenty of bass -slightly too much if anything! The ZP90 also sounds good, maybe a little thin but I think that is more a reflection of my amp and speaker set up.

I thinking of getting a naim XS amp with suitable speakers. I have short listed PMC GB1's, B&W's CM7's and maybe some proacs. I want to try contrasting speakers to see how i get on. I am willing to buy second hand from reliable sources - Any further recommendations welcomed. I am also going to buy an external DAC (beresford caiman or Dacmagic) - Has anyone heard these with a sonos system via lossless files - Is it £200 well spent?

In terms of ease of use the sonos is everything i was hoping it would be. I still use itunes to rip CD's onto my PC - after 'pointing' the sonos in the direction of my PC it picked up all of my music files. When i rip a new CD via itunes all i have to do is press 'update Music Index Now' and the changes automatically appear on the controller within seconds - Excellent!

I do think the controller is approx. £70 too expensive, but it is a lovely peice of kit to handle. Those on a tight budget could still use a laptop as a controller which also has a really nice interface. Now looking for a NAS!

I recommend the sonos - IT WORKS!!

Andy H

Nov 14, 2007
Visit site
I put a DacMagic on my Z90 playing flac files from a Buffalo linkstation. The dac improved things greatly IMHO. Can't comment on the other dacs as I've not heard them.

A

Anonymous

In terms if DAC the Arcam looks interesting....... although it obviously not released.

A

Anonymous

Apple TV works well but is better for multimedia as it doesn't add anything more than a Sonos. You can afford the Sonos, it is the simplest choice and is most reliable over wifi.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts